Receiving Text Message Spam Emails??

Rhapsoren

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Help!! Two days ago, I started receiving text messages that were set up like emails saying an email sent from my phone number couldn't be delivered. I've received 22 now and they're all from different numbers. The message looks like this:

1 of 10
FRM:MAILER-DAEMON@alpha.veloxmart.com(MailDe
SUBJ:Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
MSG:This is the mail system at host
(Con't) 2 of 10
alpha.veloxmart.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's
(Con't) 3 of 10
attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You
(Con't) 4 of 10
can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<#########@txt.att.net>: host
(Con't) 5 of 10
mx3b.txt.att.net[166.216.152.132] said: 550
5.1.1 <#########@txt.att.net> recipient does not exist here. (in reply to
RCPT TO c
Mor

With the numbers on there being a phone number, so it's as if my phone is trying to send spam emails to other people's phones. The sender (Mail deamon) are all different and the sent numbers are all different. What exactly is happening and what do I do??????

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Looks like something has been hacked, I lost an email address due to something very similar. I would immediately contact AT&T's spam/security department (should be on their website) and forward a couple of those messages to them. I think anything else it most likely post-problem as the damage (spam) has already happened, but, go to Settings, Apps, All and get to your text app. Do a force stop, clear cache and clear data in that order, then reboot the phone. I really don't think this will help, but it won't hurt either. From there I would go to your online account webpage and see if there is corresponing activity there. If you have multiple accounts, check them all . You might also consider changing all you email account passwords.

Rhapsoren

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
The issue that I'm seeing, however, is that I don't have an email address associated with the phone itself, the address it says it's trying to send from is my phone number@txt.att.net, which there shouldn't be an email address associated with, as far as I know at (and I've had this number for about 8 years). I have other issues with the phone as well that I've had for a few months so I'm going to an actual AT&T store tonight anyway, but I'll try all of your suggestions, contacting security department and shutting down my text app and reboot, and then checking out my account information. Thank you.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Looks like a standard spam run where the email address of your phone (xxxyyyzzzz@txt.att.com) was the unlucky email address that the spammer put in the "from" field of the emails. You are getting responses from the email servers that were receiving the spam. Unfortunately, those email servers are not completely configured correctly where they are "accepting then bouncing" the bad emails when they should be "rejecting during the transmission".

Contact ATT. They can block these emails for you if they want to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty