Email address autofill / autosuggest not working on any mail app

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Please help! I am about to take out a hammer and break my brand new Galaxy S7.

When using ANY email app (Samsung Mail, GMail, K-9 Mail), whenever I start typing an email address, I would like the app to suggest me an address from previously used addresses, but it doesn't work. I have to type the entire email address everytime.

Where is the setting to activate this function???

Thanks!

oneeyecarpenter

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

First off, check to make sure all those apps have contacts permission enabled. Then, you could go into apps manager, open one of those apps, clear cache, and then do a reboot (turn completely off, then after about ten seconds, turn back on) Now try that app to see if the function has returned.

There are several more things to try yet, so if no luck, respond here and I'll try to help you out.

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi!

Thanks for fast answer... I did what you said for the 3 apps, and it did not do what I am looking for...

However, I am not sure we are talking about the same thing here... Following your steps repaired the "autofill address from contacts" function, but this is not what I am looking for....

Not sure if I am looking at this the correct way here, but I don't want my mail app to look in my contacts for email addresses (anyway I have like 3 email addresses in my contacts)... I want my mail app to pull the emails from the list it is supposed to build by itself as I am entering them day after day... Like every other mail client on earth I used before did, on PC, on Mac, on iPhone, etc... Not sure if my explanation is clear, but when I send an email to someone for the first time, I type the email in... Then, the mail app should "save" it in an autofill list for future use, so I don't have to type it in another time... Same thing should happen when I reply to an email... All email clients I used did this until now. Now the mail apps just try to suggest an address from the 3 addresses which are stored in my contacts, not the addresses I previously used.

Is this supposed to be an available function on Android / Galaxy?

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Anyone? Shouldn't be too hard I guess? I just want my mail apps to remember the email addresses I type and suggest them later on as I am typing... ALL mail clients I used before did this... Now on my S7 absolutely no client does this.... Must be an option to switch on somewhere... looked everywhere... found nothing...

Please help, I'm about to go crazy!

oneeyecarpenter

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi, sorry I forgot CTO subscribe to this thread, so I just checked and found your reply's.

On Android, typically all contacts end up on the master list that you should have Google backing up. So let's start with your contacts app, or people app. At the top should be a button for phone book, multiple sources, or something like that. I'm HTC, so it's a little different. Once you find that menu, it might become apparent, some need to be checked or enabled. You should also see all your email addresses there if you have them active in on phone apps. This might be your problem if like say, you don't have Google enabled there, gmail will not save or retrieve addresses.

Now, if that solves your issue, when you have time, go online to open your Google account to make sure all your contacts are being backed up, because, it's a life saver, trust me. I'm subbed to this now, so I might respond faster, depending on timing.

oneeyecarpenter

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
OK, I think I might know more of your problems.
Did you import all your contact files to your Google account? When you go online, open or sign into your Google account. Easier on a PC, then find the contacts section, and explore the menu. At top are typically phone contacts, down near bottom are "other contacts" which are all addresses of email sent. Now, if you've not imported, and merged all your contacts, then it like starting over from scratch. But, there is an import, export function in menu. What I did originally was imported all my phone number contacts to my Google account, and all my email built up on their own. Which I have nearly 400 addresses. When you start typing an address, you'll get a list of most frequent, matching the spelling first, then scroll to the one you won't, tap to finish auto load. This is how gmail works on Android. Now, you could use gmail to manage as many addresses as you want, or use separate apps, irregardless, they all will pull from the main contacts lists. That's why in your synced accounts, main phone settings app, Google has all those toggles for everything they back up, namely contacts for one.

Here are a couple links to help get you pointed in the right direction. First, shortcut to account contacts google is managing for you.(you'll sign into Google account like normal to access)

https://contacts.google.com

Secondly, a help article on gmail. This should help you understand how Android email clients operate. Also, there are settings you'll want to review, so explore this after you open the main Google account and select gmail. (You can navigate between sections once signed in.)
https://support.google.com/mail/ans...4369203091485-3624539253&hl=en&rd=1#shortcuts

Note: (if you are accessing on mobile, scroll to bottom of menu, tap "use old style" which is probably better on bigger screen)

And if you want to start on the main page: Google account, that's fine too, https://accounts.google.com/signin/...flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=ServiceLogin

One last short article on gmail might also be helpful.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-disable-gmails-automatic-contact-creation/

To give you an idea to find if it's enabled it not. Which is why you want I suspect, to have it turned on, not off. But, if you didn't import all contacts from other email clients, then that's what needs done.

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Wow... Ok... Don't know where to start...

First, thanks for help, I have checked all your links and tried to play with the options a little everywhere you pointed me and I was able to do like 1 thing better, but I am still very far away from my goal...

With all those "no answers" and no one understanding my problem, I am starting to feel like I am coming from another planet where stuff works and on this planet here people just don't understand my language...

I can't believe no one can help me...

Here is what I was able to do and what it corrected... In "Settings > Cloud and accounts > Google", I switched on the option "Sync Gmail", which enabled the autofill of emails in the Gmail app only and only for my Gmail account.

Once again, oneeyecarpenter, I am not sure you are understanding my problem correctly... I found the list that Gmail populates with previously used addresses (other contacts), but it seems that this is only related to my Gmail account and to the Gmail app... Or there is something wrong with my brand new 700$ phone... Or there is an option somewhere I did not see, even though I litteraly checked EVERYWHERE... I can find that "other contacts" list, but what I want is my other mail clients and my other NON-GOOGLE mail accounts to build their own email lists for future use.

From what you are writing oneeyecarpenter, I understand that this list has to be built as I am entering email addresses, and this is exactly what I want my mail client to do and that is not working properly... I don't care building this list from scratch again. However, right now, when I send an email from a client other than Gmail app from or from Gmail app on another account than my Gmail account, the mail clients don't "remember" this address anywhere, so I have to type it again after every time I want to use it again...

This should be an out-of-the-box funtion... Outlook does it... Thunderbird does it... Lotus does it... iPhone mail app does it... Why in the hell is it not working on any dang mail app on my phone EXCEPT on Gmail app and ONLY for my Gmail account....

To summarize, here is a list of what is working and what is not working...

• Autofill addresses in other email apps than Google > NOT WORKING
  • Autofill addresses in Gmail app for other accounts than my Gmail account > NOT WORKING
  • Autofill addresses in Gmail app for my Gmail account > WORKING

Thanks...

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
So, after playing with all Permissions settings, Gmail settings, keyboard settings, etc, etc, etc, I ended up resetting to factory defaults. which corrected the address autofill problem... This is very weird, because after factory reset, I restored from Smart Switch backup, which seemed to have restored part of my parameters, but now everything works as expected.

It's just a shame that I had to do this, because I will have to spend quite some time putting everything back like I want it... And also it remains a mystery which setting created the bug... If I ever can reproduce this bug again, I will come back here to explain it before too many people go crazy like I did on this bug.

Sorry about lack of more details for now. Good luck everyone. Thanks oneeyecarpenter.

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

The bug came back, but I found a solution....

After updating all my apps in the Google Store and setting the phone like I wanted, the email address autofill suggestions disappeared again...

So I started to do some trouble shooting because I HAVE TO have autofill suggestions for email addresses...

After resetting my phone to factory about 15 times while trying different settings each time, after going to the Samsung repair store and resetting the phone with the most recent factory software, I realized that the bug would start when I updated the Samsung Mail app in the Google Play Store...

So I set all my phone like I wanted, I updated all my apps EXCEPT Samsung Mail app in the Google Play Store, and the autofill suggestions for email addresses is now working in Samsung Mail app...

***Please note that you will have to deactivate auto-update applications in the Play Store, otherwise your Samsung Mail app will update without you asking for it***

Other things to know:

• Email address autosuggest is still NOT WORKING in Gmail for non-gmail accounts, but it is working in Samsung Mail, so I stopped doing further investigations, because I don't use the Gmail app (because of this bug...)
  • I did not try other mail apps (K-9, for example), but I would say that this bug would be similar in other app, so try playing with the updates of the mail apps (I.E. not updating the app)
  • If you already updated your Samsung Mail app and the autosuggest bug is there, instead of resetting your phone to factory, you could try uninstalling updates for the Samsung Maill app, but I can't confirm if it works (Settings > Applications > Samsung Mail app > Menu (...) > Uninstall updates)
  • From the very few other forum posts I found on this topic on the web, even after hours of research, I think that this is a bug only for the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
  • IF ALL METHODS ABOVE FAIL AND YOU STILL CAN'T GET THE AUTOSUGGEST / AUTOFILL TO WORK FOR EMAIL ADDRESSES IN YOUR MAIL APP, I FOUND OUT THAT THE OUTLOOK MAIL APP'S AUTOFILL FUNCTION WORKS REGARDLESS OF THE ABOVE BUGS.

Hope this can help someone...

Sharon Dellinger

Nov 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

First off, check to make sure all those apps have contacts permission enabled. Then, you could go into apps manager, open one of those apps, clear cache, and then do a reboot (turn completely off, then after about ten seconds, turn back on) Now try that app to see if the function has returned.

There are several more things to try yet, so if no luck, respond here and I'll try to help you out.

I thought, "Could it be so simple?" I checked the gmail app permissions and "contacts" was not checked. I checked it and Whalla! It works! Thank you, now why couldn't I figure that out?

oneeyecarpenter

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Glad to help. There is one other thing you and others might check, and that's in main settings, sync, google account, to see that you are syncing contacts. Usually, every category is on by default, and some you might choose to turn off, like Fitness, for instance if you don't use something like Fitbit.

As for Happy, above, I'm stumped as to your issues. Perhaps you could update us on any further progress?

Suman Manghra

Mar 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I had this problem. Its in your app settings, you need to allow contacts under the settings and then any contacts that have emails included will auto populate for you. Hope that helps.

Pappy33

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
I just got the galaxy s9 and I am having this same problem. My email app is not autofilling any of my previously used email addresses. This seems like a very basic feature to me that all emails usually have.

rogsw279

Jul 6, 2018
Visit site
I just got the galaxy s9 and I am having this same problem. My email app is not autofilling any of my previously used email addresses. This seems like a very basic feature to me that all emails usually have.

So I had the same problem, and in reading the prior posts, I know, a few months old, I uninstalled the Samsung Email updates, did a restart, made sure the permissions were all checked, all to no avail. Then I went into Settings/Cloud and Accounts/Google/ and clicked "Sync People Details". Now it works!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38