Android (various versions) – Delayed push notifications on mobile data

Mr_Dave

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
I have a phone with Nougat 7.1.1, but also older phones (eg with Lollipop and Gingerbread): the common trouble on all phones is that I have an annoying issue when connected using mobile data:
all the apps which relies on push notifications (eg whatsapp, facebook messenger, Hangouts and Gmail) doesn’t receive push notifications in realtime or in a acceptable time: I mean that I receive notifications - delayed - also after 30 minutes or i receive them only when I turn on the screen. On all these phones I use a SIM card of same carrier.

When I am connected using Wifi (so without mobile data) I receive notifications in realtime (in about 1 or 2 seconds).

What I checked is that all these apps have background data always enabled and I don’t use any battery saver app.

Is like if the mobile data, after some minutes of inactivity, falls in a sort of idle status, and needs to be kept awake: in facts, if I use a method to run a ping command every X minutes, the notifications are received in an acceptable time (in few seconds).

Not all of my phones are rooted: on the phones which are rooted I solved by installing the app called “Push Notification Fixer”; I am aware of the fact that there’s also available the “NO ROOT” version of such app, but doesn’t works for me.

I said “if I use a method to run a ping command every X minutes, the notifications are received in an acceptable time (in few seconds)”: I noticed that mobile data of my carrier falls in a “sleep” state after about 7 minutes: so I setup the following command in a Terminal Emulator:
Code:
ping -i 420 www.google.com
420 is the time in seconds, which is equal to 7 minutes.

The ping method, however, cause other issues: it cause a lot of wakeups (as I can see from Better Battery Stats) and sometimes I notice that it hangs: I excluded the Terminal Emulator from battery optimization and from data saver (and I enabled the option “Wake Lock” (to keeps phone from sleeping while running a command) , but this doesn’t help: I also excluded Google Play Services from battery optimization/Doze and I ensured that background data is not restricted

Obviously I’ve also tried to wipe applications cache and uninstall and reinstall applications: however, since with Wifi I don’t have any trouble, seems not a fault of the phone or apps, since I faced this issue on all phones and different versions of Android: always occurs with mobile data but not with Wifi.

Is sure the fact that when I am on mobile data the phone needs to be awake to receive the notifications. I repeat that when I am connected using wifi, the notifications are instant.

I don’t think that Doze is the culprit: as I’ve said I excluded apps and Google Services from battery optimization/Doze.
I also disabled the data saver option. I have notifications delay issue only when connected with mobile data: furthermore the signal strenght of my carrier (4G) is good.

What can I do (a robust and reliable method) to keep the mobile data connection always active?
I also tried by using “Connection Stabilizer” from the Play Store: this app, also have a method to run a ping command every X seconds or minutes, but also this app suffer from the same issue: after a while the ping command no longer works.

I heard of the fact that this issue could be related to fast dormancy: unfortunately, since the phone is not rooted, I can't disable fast dormancy.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

Mr_Dave

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
I installed this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.thedarken.wl (Wake Lock - PowerManager): This app implemented a Partial Wakelock: in this way the notifications arrives in 1 - 2 seconds, but the downside (due the Partial wake Lock) is a battery drain.

No one else, here, faced the issue of delayed notifications when connected with mobile data?
As I've said, with Wifi I don't have any issue with notifications; furthermore I am not "forced" to rely on wakelocks.

d3rezz

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
Having the same problem on my S7. I'm thinking about sending it for a repair but I'm afraid they will just return it and say they did not detect any malfunction.
Anyway my phone like this is not usable.
Today to check if it is maybe a network problem I switched my sim to old Lumia 950 and notification are working perfectly on it, so it's a problem with S7.

Mr_Dave

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I switched to another carrier and I've found two interesting things:
The first one is that when I am on LTE/4G+ the notifications are almost delayed by 15 seconds; when I am on HSDPA+ (WCDMA) are almost instant. So the issue could be related to my old carrier. Try to switch to WCDMA only (in my case WCDMA is equal to HSDPA+) and let us know :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12