Accidentally Uninstalled Android Contact Storage 2.2.1 - How do I reinstall it?

jtswim0925

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,

I'm a bit of a mobile technology noob, so bear with me through this.

I just bought the Samsung Galaxy S 4G, which is great, but my phone quickly ran out of internal storage. I search the net to fix this problem and most forums suggested that root my phone and get rid of the preinstalled bloatware. To do this, I downloaded SuperOneClick and rooted my phone, and then I downloaded Titanium Backup to my phone to uninstall all the bloatware.

I did this successfully with a handful of the preinstalled apps, and I regained a bit of memory. However, my Contacts Storage 2.2.1 app was chewing up of my internal storage (about 40 mb) - to free that up, I wanted to convert it to a user app and then transfer that to my SD card. I backed up the program first, and then went ahead and try to do precisely that. However, the app crashed on me in the process and when I reopened it, it listed Contacts Storage 2.2.1 as an uninstalled app. I figured I could just restore the app, since this is what I thought Titanium Backup did, except it didn't work.

Well, it turns out this is a major problem for my phone. Not only can I no longer access any of my contacts, but I get several new error messages. These errors include:

-Backup (process com.voxmobile.syne.MobileBackup2) stopped unexpectedly
-Process (android.process.acore) has stopped unexpectedly
-The Application Google Services Framework (processcom.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly

I thought I could do a factory reset on my phone to restore it to its original state and thus fix the problem, but it hasn't. I'm tempted to reinstall the android os, but I'm nervous that I might mess up my phone more if I go bungling onto another internet forum and try experimenting with things.

Does anyone on here know what I did to break my phone and, more importantly, how to fix it?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Contacts Storage is where your contacts are stored, so that was the 40MB you saw. If you can get the apk file for it, you can push it to the /system and install it from there, which should fix it. If that doesn't work, you can use Odin and just reinstall the full firmware.

EDIT: You can use the instructions here to use Odin. Just replace the included .tar file with this one.

Last edited:

jtswim0925

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Iss377,

Thanks for the post. Where can I find the apk for it and how do I push it to /system and install it?

I've also read through the directions for using Odin to do the factory reset, which I think I can do. I have a couple questions, though:
-First, there's an additional step for Froyo users allow 3e recovery first, which links to this page. I'm not 100% sure how to follow those steps.
-Second, my phone currently isn't downloading from the market place - I get an error (Google Services Framework has stopped unexpectedly) when I try and then the application perpetually lists itself as "Starting download...". Is there anyway to get around this?

Thanks for your help.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's probably easier to use odin and return to stock as opposed to pulling the .apk from a ROM and installing it. Plus, you will learn how to return to the stock firmware if you ever need to in the future.

Reactions: ross.lafferty

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
It's probably easier to use odin and return to stock as opposed to pulling the .apk from a ROM and installing it. Plus, you will learn how to return to the stock firmware if you ever need to in the future.

+1. The only issue is that it would wipe your data, which since you've done that already, shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: ross.lafferty

jtswim0925

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for the info. Is there anyway I can download apps to my phone by using my USB cable? Whatever issues my phone is having, I can't download apps through the Android Market. For example, I can't download the ClockWorkMod ROM manager or Titanium Backup Pro (which I bought for my phone but it was wiped out when I reset it).

jtswim0925

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I followed all the steps in those final step you included. I am currently running ODIN on my phone and nothing appears to be happening, though I don't want to pull the plug on it. How long should it take? I've had this message in ODIN for about 10 minutes:

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> T959VUVKD1-REV00-home-low-980580.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..

Is it supposed to take a long time?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I followed all the steps in those final step you included. I am currently running ODIN on my phone and nothing appears to be happening, though I don't want to pull the plug on it. How long should it take? I've had this message in ODIN for about 10 minutes:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> T959VUVKD1-REV00-home-low-980580.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..

Is it supposed to take a long time?

You have to take the .md5 off the file. Just unplug it/pull battery, do that, and run it again. It hasn't started flashing so it won't hurt anything.

jtswim0925

May 15, 2011
Visit site
how do i take .md5 off the file? the zip file that i downloaded contained the file named T959VUVKD1-REV00-home-low-980580.tar.md5. it isn't as simple as deleting the ".md5" from the path, is it?

also, thanks for being patient with me.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
how do i take .md5 off the file? the zip file that i downloaded contained the file named T959VUVKD1-REV00-home-low-980580.tar.md5. it isn't as simple as deleting the ".md5" from the path, is it?

also, thanks for being patient with me.

Yeah. Just ignore the warning if it pops up. I'm not sure why they put the .md5 at the end.

jtswim0925

May 15, 2011
Visit site
how do i take the ".md5" off the file? the file i opened from the zip file was T959VUVKD1-REV00-HOME-LOW-980580.tar.md5.

also, thanks for being patient with me with this.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
how do i take the ".md5" off the file? the file i opened from the zip file was T959VUVKD1-REV00-HOME-LOW-980580.tar.md5.

also, thanks for being patient with me with this.

Sorry, missed that part of the question :p. Just act like you're renaming the file, and delete the .md5.

jtswim0925

May 15, 2011
Visit site
hmm, weird. doesn't seem to be working. i get this message:

<ID:0/003> Can't open the specified file. (Line: 201)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

jtswim0925

May 15, 2011
Visit site
ok, i went back and renamed it T959VUVKD1-REV00-home-low-980580.tar and now i have this message:

now it's just sort of chilling out and not doing anything

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, here's the standard Odin troubleshooting stuff:
Try a different USB port (preferably one on the back of your desktop if you're on one)
Try a different cable if you have one
Restart your computer
Try a different computer

Odin, like all Samsung software, just doesn't work consistently. You have to get creative with some of this stuff :p

EDIT: Make sure you closed Odin and rebooted download mode between attempts.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there's a newer version out. You could try Hiemdall, but yiou have to take apart the .tar file and put everything in the slots manually. I'll find the link with instructions for you.

EDIT: Here you go. I can try to help you out with it, but I haven't used it so I'm not sure how much help I'll be.

http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

You can search for 7-zip to open up the .tar file for those files.

If this seems like too much for you, I would see if you can find another computer to try Odin on. Also try redownloading the file and restarting your pc (if you didn't see my edit above).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana