I've had this issue of sorts across several phones and computers. So it's not really Android specific, but I'd appreciate answers that can apply to my V20.

I've noticed that if I'm downloading a single file, it only uses part of my available bandwidth. For example, I have a 3.5 Mb/s connection at home, but files will download about 300Kb/s. I could start up a download, then run a speed test, and see that there's a lot of bandwidth not belong utilized.

I can understand that if there's a lot of traffic, or if I'm downloading several files at once, then sure I would see the bandwidth split between them all. But if it's just one file, I'd like to see that get the majority of available bandwidth unless something else is using it too.

Is that something I can change on my end, I.e. Via my devices or Wi-Fi router settings?
    12-02-2017 12:47 PM
    The speed can't be more than the speed of the fastest leg of the path the file travels over, and these days, if the server isn't in your back yard, that's about 3-5mbps at best. It doesn't matter if you have a 50mbps connection, that's from a local server (unless you use the Okla app (SpeedTest) and select a server halfway around the world. But you can get as many simultaneous downloads at their normal speed as your connection can handle, so if you're downloading 5 files at once, all of them will download at about 2-5mbps each.

That's just how the internet works, it has nothing to do with cellular data or your particular phone. Do the same thing on a PC and you'll see that your 100mbps (or whatever speed you have) connection never downloads a file at 100mbps unless you're downloading from a close server. (It's sometimes difficult to tell - for instance, Google and Microsoft have servers all over the place, so even though you may be 3,000 miles from their offices, you may be downloading from a server that's very close to you.)
    12-03-2017 12:07 PM
    I would agree with you, except if I use cellular data, which is much faster than my home connection, a similar file (I.e. One of my podcasts) will download much faster than at home. Yes, this stands to reason as it's a higher total bandwidth, but also proves that it's a lack of utilization on my home connection or router.
    12-03-2017 01:55 PM