New to android Have a few questions.

critta71

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,
Having just moved from windows phone 10 to android I am Having trouble performing and setting basic options.
I have a huawei mate 10 pro running android 8

1. when I go to my photo gallery, select more than 1 photo to share, select messaging I always get a message stating i have exceed the 300kb limit.(never had issues with windows.. select as i want and send same and done. And lumia 950 had 20mb camera and great pics.)

2. I cannot connect to my car bluetooth as my car gives a 4 digit pin and the android connection wont active the ok button until i put in 16 digits.. 0000000000000000 obviously not all zeros but thats whats its looking for 16 digits. then the ok is active naturally the pin is incorrect.

3. is there a way to have an extra setting for showing caller id. Windows has 3 options
a.show to all
b.show to none
c.show to contacts (this is a handy option but cant find on android

4. I used to be able to record phone conversations with a press of the button while in a call. does this exist on android? (before people start on legalities all i want to know is can I do it or not)

5. when i turn on phone.. I swipe left i go to a google screen and a whole heap of well. unwanted information keeps appearing and updating. Not sure what its called but it updates news and weather and heaps of unwanted articles.. I click not to show those articles so it finds something else useless to show me.

any help would be appreciated.
and no i am not here bagging android as i have made the move from windows.. Android apps appear to be way better.. A whole new world.. But the operating system appears to be lacking either from my lack of knowledge or limitations that are there for whatever reason.

cheers

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the Android world. I'll see if I can provide some guidance...

1 - What messaging method were you using on your Lumia? Standard texting (actually MMS) has a pretty small limit on the size of the message. You would need to send multiple images as an IM, email or add them to a folder and share the link to the folder (using Google's Photos app).

2 - That's unusual for it to prompt for that many characters. Most of my recent Bluetooth pairings have either required no PIN or showed the PIN on both screens to compare and confirm. Sorry, I can't help much here.

3 - you might be able to do this with an alternate dialer app. What exactly does each option do though?

4 - I'm sure there's an app for that but I haven't done it myself. An alternative would be to use a Google Voice number that allows call recording (I think)

5 - That left pane is a Google Assistant item. Long-press on a blank area of your home screen, select the Settings cog (bottom right) and turn off the Display Google App item. This is based on a Pixel 2 XL, yours MAY not work this way

critta71

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Firstly thanks for the welcome and the response.
I will respond best i can.

1. I am using the standard text messaging that comes with windows phone 10 straight out the box. I have just spoken with optus, my mobile carrier and they believe its a limitation with new versions of android 8.o running here.(don't shoot the messenger. haha)

2. have dug deeper into the web. i have found a couple of other people experiencing same issue with Bluetooth. may appear to be android 8 someone using a different phone stated after installing 8.1 beta it fixed it. So hopefully thats true huawei have called me a few times trying to fix and believe it maybe android 8 as well with certain Bluetooth connections.

3 a.show to all (shows my called id to all)
b.show to none (hides my caller id from all)
c.show to contacts (shows my caller id only to my contacts)

4. ok will look into that

5. yes on mine i did the Long-press on a blank area of your home screen, select the Settings cog (bottom right) and turn off the Display Google App item. except mine had option for google feed. which I believe i may have done before but some reason it came back on.. but thanks for that.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
1 - well, the standard size limit on MMS is 300kb. It's possible your carrier has a higher limit and your Microsoft device was able to be set up for that. Android may just be set for the lowest size for compatibility.

2 - I've paired my Pixel 2 XL (running 8.1) to my Mac and my Android tablet and had no issues with the code. It may be something Huawei did with the Bluetooth implementation on that device. I don't have a vehicle with Bluetooth in it.

3 - OK, this is an unusual one. It sounds like Microsoft set up the dialer to be able to auto-send the tomes needed for caller ID blocking under certain circumstances. You might need to see if you can find a 3rd-party dialer to try to duplicate that.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. It's a limitation of either the carrier or the messaging app. If the carrier says its not them, you can download and use an alternate messaging app to use. Textra has an option to change size limits for MMS.

2. No experience on this.

3. This is a firmware level type of feature. The receiving dialler app should be able to support this in the first place. Hence thr features you see are part of the Windows Dialer. On Android, implementation differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, on Google Pixels, you can either turn off automatic caller ID, or turn it on, which uses the Google database. However, unlike on Windows where your options will change the behavior on the receiving phone, on Android, control remains on the end user. So the recipient will not see your name even if you are open to sharing it if they do not turn on caller ID on their end. I believe the only option is to either share your caller ID or not.

4. There are limitations to that due to legalities. It used to be an option. Now there are a few apps that can do it.

critta71

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
thanks chanchan

1. I guess it has to be andriod as I never changed carrier(optus) when i changed over to android.(I almost typed upgraded but the jury is still out on that)

2. How do i go about getting the beta upgrade or do u have to wait for that to hit certain models of phone?

3. Yep Thanks for that explanation.. I guess its one of those.. well I miss it since i have had it. but have to get use to it.

4. i understand google voice can do this for you. But i have also heard/read they perform speech to text to store it and then use that text for aiming advertising at you. Which to me seems a bigger breech to privacy then me just recording a call and storing it locally.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
2. How do i go about getting the beta upgrade or do u have to wait for that to hit certain models of phone?

I'd avoid this if you want to be on it just to have the latest version (even if it is to try to fix a bug with your current install). Beta builds are for testing and can sometimes be more trouble than the build they replace.

You can try this to join the beta if you want to be on it... Friendly User Test

critta71

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Yeh not looking to upgrade for the sake of the latest. just the bluetooth fix. but i think i will take your advice and avoid it until its an official release.
Thank you

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
thanks chanchan

1. I guess it has to be andriod as I never changed carrier(optus) when i changed over to android.(I almost typed upgraded but the jury is still out on that)

As I said it's just the app. You can replace the SMS app with one from the PlayStore. You're not stuck with what you have on the phone for SMS.