Waste one day to transfer and setup new phone? How to do it faster?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
When you buy a new phone, you need to install apps, transfer data e.g. sms, whatsapp history..., set phone settings, set app settings, transfer files e.g. photos, videos...

How long do you take to setup a whole new phone to be like the old phone?

What do you to make the transfer from old to new phone faster and smooth?

Thanks

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Depends on what you are transferring to and what tools the manufacturer provides. For example, Samsung'd SmartSwitch app allows you to transfer content and apps from your old phone to your new Samsung with one click. How long depends on how much data you will be transferring.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Depends on what you are transferring to and what tools the manufacturer provides. For example, Samsung'd SmartSwitch app allows you to transfer content and apps from your old phone to your new Samsung with one click. How long depends on how much data you will be transferring.

Does smartswitch transfer the settings too? For example if you installed Candycrush and saved level 5. After smartswitch move the Candycrush to the new phone, can you start with level 5 saved data?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Does smartswitch transfer the settings too? For example if you installed Candycrush and saved level 5. After smartswitch move the Candycrush to the new phone, can you start with level 5 saved data?
Settings get saved, but not in game data. That depends on whether the developer allowed that. But most games have cloud saves anyway. For example, if you login to Facebook on Candy Crush, if you login on another device, all the save data is there. My mom does that for extra lives. For example she plays and moves through say 3 stages on her phone but ran out of lives. She opens the game on her tablet and picks up where she left off but with more lives because it's a different device, but the progress syncs. Other games use Google Play. So transferring game saves isn't an issue in recent years.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
What stuff will not be moved by Smartswitch?

Whatsapp history?

After Smartswitch moved the app to the new phone, does that app disappear (deleted) from the old phone? Just wondering if the transfer failed halfway or corrupt, can I still access the old phone to get the data.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Nothing will happen to the old phone. Just copy. As I said, in-app data may not be transferred. I don't use Whatsapp so no idea about that. Just use the app and wait it out.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Great thread and excellent questions - thanks for sharing!

To be honest, I basically start from scratch with each new phone I get. I'll gradually download the apps I need at the time from my app history, and will just go from there. :)

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Nothing will happen to the old phone. Just copy. As I said, in-app data may not be transferred. I don't use Whatsapp so no idea about that. Just use the app and wait it out.

What happens to a paid app if you use smartswitch to transfer? Since the app in the old phone is not deleted, does that mean the old phone and the new phone will have the paid app? Paid once and get two paid version in old and new phone?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
What happens to a paid app if you use smartswitch to transfer? Since the app in the old phone is not deleted, does that mean the old phone and the new phone will have the paid app? Paid once and get two paid version in old and new phone?
There's no problem with paid apps on multiple devices. You can install paid apps on multiple devices using the same Google account. For example I downloaded Nova Launcher Prime on 3 devices I use (tablet, main phone, work phone) and only paid once. I think you just have a limit of installing a paid app to 5 devices using one Google account.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If both phones do data transfer over NFC (it actually goes via direct WiFi), use that. (Samsung and LG do, I have no experience transferring the others.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty