Best migration strategy moving to a new phone?

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I've switched from one android phone to another about 5 times now (starting way back with Android 2.2) and I've always found it to be a long and painful journey. I reckon getting from happy and content back to happy and content with the new phone takes a good 20-30 hours. This involves ensuring you've got all the same apps, in all the same places on the home page(s), all logged in and configured how they were, Tasker setup again. Sure you can get up and running in no time at all, but getting everything working as it was involves an investment. I don't want to treat this as a chance for a fresh start, I had everything tuned perfectly - I just lost the will to keep the hardware I was using.

So ... does anyone have recommendations for the perfect phone migration strategy? I'll be using the same Google account and can therefore use the Play Store Send/Receive apps so I should end up getting everything across OK. I might have to transfer some non-Play Store APK's manually but that'll just be one or two.

My biggest concern is configuration and data. I'll be using the Nova launcher on the new phone (S24) like I do on the old one (Pixel 6 Pro) and would really like it if I can take Nova's config options and app positions on the home page across. I really would like to have ALL the apps having their data migrated across too. So that when I for example launch the browser, not only does it retain the login state of any sites I visited on the old phone, but also has the same cached data and the home screen shows the same recent sites and favorited sites. I'd want the data in the phone gallery to even show all the Whatsapp (downloaded) and Instagram (uploaded) media.

Basically I want to have the phone config and all its apps appear as if they didn't even notice they've been put on another phone. Is it possible? I'm willing to pay money for the app if it avoids me investing all those hours in setup. As you can see below, it's a lot of apps, many in folders and a lot of positions. You can see why I don't want to be doing all that configuring again.

1706079224355.png

Last edited:

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Samsung has a switch app that accomplishes a lot for retaining apps/settings/layout and such. However, if switching from one manufacturer to another I'm not sure if there is a completely hassle free method. Even a device backup through a GoogleID/Account, for example, I don't think satisfies a fully smooth transition. I moved away from using Nova Launcher partially because of the "problem" you describe, trying to minimize the number of "customizations" to have to maintain. However, at one point Nova did have some backup options/abilities.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I moved away from using Nova Launcher partially because of the "problem" you describe, trying to minimize the number of "customizations" to have to maintain.
Since I posted the question above, I've noticed that Nova has a backup/restore all settings. So after transferring all the apps to the new phone, it'll be interesting to see if I can restore Nova settings and see all the shortcuts and groups automagically get set as they were on the other phone. It'll be a shock if it works but I'll certainly give it a try. I'd try it beforehand on one of my old phones but I don't have one that has Android 14 on it. I'm really hoping that the S24 comes with 14, that could be a problem if it's only 13.

Last edited:

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
My current plan is this:
- Boot up the new phone and enter my same google account as on the old phone. Give it a chance to settle down and do any updates and auto-restores that it might want to do.
- Try doing a System-> Backup/Restore from old to new
- Try doing a send/receive from old to new in play store
- Try doing a backup/restore from old to new with Nova launcher
- Try doing a backup/restore from old to new with Tasker.
By this point I should have all apps and hopefully they're all in the same positions/groups on the home screen. No doubt they won't be.

From this point on, everything will be manual, trying each app and seeing what I need to do for it to be setup properly.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Since you said you think the new device will be a Samsung, you should probably also investigate the Samsung switch app(s). If switching between two identical Samsung phones, I think it basically accomplishes most of what you want (other than the fact you are using a 3rd party launcher). Even for switching from a non Samsung device to a Samsung device, the Samsung switch app(s) sometimes do a lot (like pulling in SMS/Text messages, etc...).

Reactions: J Dubbs and d4005

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Since you said you think the new device will be a Samsung, you should probably also investigate the Samsung switch app(s). If switching between two identical Samsung phones, I think it basically accomplishes most of what you want (other than the fact you are using a 3rd party launcher). Even for switching from a non Samsung device to a Samsung device, the Samsung switch app(s) sometimes do a lot (like pulling in SMS/Text messages, etc...).
Definitely will be a Samsung, the S24. I'll give the switch app a try. Hopefully it'll happily work on my outgoing Pixel 6 Pro. As it's not an obscure device, I imagine it would.

Reactions: notforhire

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Definitely will be a Samsung, the S24. I'll give the switch app a try. Hopefully it'll happily work on my outgoing Pixel 6 Pro. As it's not an obscure device, I imagine it would.
I don't think Smart Switch will work when one of the devices is not a Samsung, but I'm happy to be wrong. let us know how it works out.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Smart Switch will work when one of the devices is not a Samsung, but I'm happy to be wrong. let us know how it works out.

According to their website it will. As long as the receiving device is a Samsung they're happy. They'll even allow an iPhone as a source.