Not Enough Space

Jenxjen

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi. A friend of mine has a Samsung (J3 I think). Keeps getting 'cant backup because low space' messages. We uploaded everything to Google photos and moved her Gallery to an SD card. So according to her 'files' she doesn't have anything in the internal storage.
The only thing left is data in her WhatsApp, her Messages and her phone log.

Is there a way to delete messages up to a certain point in time? She really doesn't want to get rid of anything recent as it's her life line particularly WhatsApp.
Thank you

br77494

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
There could be a significant amount of data in her messages, especially if there are a lot of media images there. I have been routinely backing up to an SD card, or deleting, old SMS and MMS. Several good apps for this purpose.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You moved Gallery to the SD card, or you moved pictures to the SD card? (Gallery is an app, not a bunch of pictures.)

If you moved pictures in their original (uncompressed) format to Google Photos, there's a limited amount of space unless she pays for more.

If she wants to put in the work, she can back up her messages (with SMS Backup & Restore), learn enough XML to read the backup and delete from the end to where she wants. Then delete all of them in the phone and restore from the modified backup. (It probably won't save much, though.) The phone has 16GB of internal storage and Android uses almost half of that - a 16GB phone is really too small to use these days.

Jenxjen

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
No didn't move Gallery to SD card, moved all photos and then changed Gallery settings to save all photos taken to SD card. Her Google drive has a lot of space so that is not a problem at the moment
I like your tip as I know XML so can do it for her.
Thank you.

br77494

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I have used several. One is called SMS Backup & Restore. Many of this type on the play store, and quite a few have the exact same name (you'd think Google wouldn't allow that.)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non