How to disable Google Maps automatic update?

biasmaster

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I am new with android. I have recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S, and Google Maps came installed on the phone. Now if I enter Android Market, then Google Maps is automatically updated, if there is an update. I have checked it under My apps, but there is no Automatic update checkbox as for other programs I downloaded from the market. Is there a way to disable this automatic update for Google Maps? I would be great, if I could choose when it should be updated, because its not funny, when my 3G limit is exceeded with Google Maps updates. :'(

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Can you uninstall it? I would try that, then download the version from the market and see if it has the update chek box.

Knowing carriers, and how sly they are, it wouldn't surprise me if they had their own special version designed to increase your data usage.

Reactions: biasmaster

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I am new with android. I have recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S, and Google Maps came installed on the phone. Now if I enter Android Market, then Google Maps is automatically updated, if there is an update. I have checked it under My apps, but there is no Automatic update checkbox as for other programs I downloaded from the market. Is there a way to disable this automatic update for Google Maps? I would be great, if I could choose when it should be updated, because its not funny, when my 3G limit is exceeded with Google Maps updates. :'(

Hmm...well since there isn't a box to uncheck to prevent it from updating, I think I might know a solution. Have you tried a firewall app? Like Droidwall for instance. You can set it up to block whatever you from accessing the network and thus not run through your data limit. :)

Market link: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.googlecode.droidwall.free

Sent from my evil hideout. MUWHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

biasmaster

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Can you uninstall it? I would try that, then download the version from the market and see if it has the update chek box.

Knowing carriers, and how sly they are, it wouldn't surprise me if they had their own special version designed to increase your data usage.
I have read somewhere, that apps, which came with the phone can not be uninstalled. It also does not shows in the uninstall list. So I can not uninstall it. :'(

biasmaster

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmm...well since there isn't a box to uncheck to prevent it from updating, I think I might know a solution. Have you tried a firewall app? Like Droidwall for instance. You can set it up to block whatever you from accessing the network and thus not run through your data limit. :)

Market link: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.googlecode.droidwall.free

This update is done when I enter android market. But is it possible to block only google maps update, and let access to the other apps I want to install?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I have read somewhere, that apps, which came with the phone can not be uninstalled. It also does not shows in the uninstall list. So I can not uninstall it. :'(

Uh huh. I thought so.

One of the reasons why people root their phones, and install custom ROMs. I wonder what their additional revenue is on this one specific item......

I would use the suggestion of the other poster, and try droidwall. Have never used it, but perhaps you can target a specific app from accessing data usage.

Only other thing, is access the market only when you have free WiFi.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This update is done when I enter android market. But is it possible to block only google maps update, and let access to the other apps I want to install?

That's why the auto update box is there, but since it isn't there...easiest way to get that option is to just root...uninstall Google Maps via Titanium Backup (best IMO) and reinstall. You should have the option then. :)

wbp

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree, this is quite annoying, especially when it happens and I'm not connected via wifi. Seems like they are begging for a lawsuit with this one.

Oh, and FWIW - it looks like Droidwall requires rooting your phone, so that's not an option for me right now. Crap.

mumblyjoe

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not worried so much about data usage- my carrier doesn't bill me for extra usage. I just hate *HATE,* let me emphasize that again *HATE HATE HATE* the new google maps. They tried to put some kind of rotating function in there and now it's completely useless. I can't zoom in or out at all without it flipping out and spinning the map all around.

my phone is rooted and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the oldest version of google maps I could find, but i didn't get any box to opt out of automatic updates. Maybe because i had to side load an ancient version of it? anyway, it still keeps trying to update.

Freaking Google have you never heard the expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?" You couldn't stop your infernal meddling and now I need a firewall app to keep you from ruining other perfectly good apps.

Badger13

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I know this is now a dated thread but with the recent update to Maps it's now relevant again.
If the update caused you issues as it did me I began searching for a solution. I found it after a little reading and lots of searching my apps option.
1. Open play store app. Settings and turn off automatic updates. Yes it's not an option in maps.
2. Open application manager. Select maps and uninstall updates. It will tell you it's going back to factory.
Restart phone. And voila back to normal!!!! I can now say google without getting angry.

Anna2013

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for posting how to keep google maps from being updated!!! I love my navigation device and every time google maps would update it wiped out my navigation. Thank thank you and thank you again!

everyusernametaken

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Ahhh thank u. This new version of google maps is horrible. It can't even figure out where I am. I can't understand why they did this the old version was so good! Really annoying. I am staying with the old version.

btiedt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Of grief, it takes 5 minutes to figure out and get comfortable with the new interface.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Ah, no it doesn't. First the new Google Maps is very buggy. Google Maps stops working so many times since this update it is barely even usable. I select my location and it just says 'sorry Maps has stopped'. We actually had to stop and buy a map while on vacation (and yes we had a good signal). Then if I am using it and I switch to another app, when I come back to Maps I have to reselect my destination in order for the map to display. Also, the old Navigation had an easy way to find things like a restaurant close to my current location. Can Google Maps easily find me a fast food restaurant or let's say I'm hungry for Mexican? Navigator let me select the type of restaurant I am looking for but I can't figure out an easy way on Google Maps.

Sorry but as of right now I still say Google replaced a good product with one not quite as good.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for posting how to keep google maps from being updated!!! I love my navigation device and every time google maps would update it wiped out my navigation. Thank thank you and thank you again!

That's because they integrated the navigation into the google maps its no linger a stand alone system app

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app