ANDROID LOCATION SHARING, NO CONTACTS SHOW UP

BABYLONRUN

Dec 11, 2023
Visit site
Android 23 phone i like to share locations with ,this phone will not show contacts in location share area, if in there phone you go to google maps, in share location, supposed to show icons of people as google chosen contacts you can select and can share location with, and if scroll the google selected contact box icons to the left should see 3 dots, if select this can type in a chosen contact. Thats the way it is supposed to work. But this phone says in the select contacts box, "no contacts" and that box is dead, cant scroll anywhere, just says no contacts? cant get to add your own contacts? I have on this phone location accuracy on, this phone has phone contacts of many people, also has under google maps, under settings,show contacts toggle on , and in chrome/google account me as contact as a gmail address, but still no contacts show up in google map box to choose for sharing, and no way to search for a contact, wont scroll? Please help

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums.

We will need more information to offer the best advice.

When you say S23 Pro do you mean S23 Plus or S23 Ultra? Samsung does not make a Pro phone.

When you say you're sharing locations, do you mean you're sharing a location, like someplace to go, a restaurant, a store or do you mean your location, like meet me here?

Without sharing any personal information could you show us a screenshot of what you see when you attempt to share a location? Please edit the screenshot if it should show any identifying information please.

How long have you had this device? During setup did you give Maps permission to access your contacts? To check if it has permission to see and use your contacts navigate to your Settings>Apps>Maps>Permissions, touch Contacts, does it have this permission?

Let us know what you find.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Google Maps location sharing feature can be a little wonky sometimes. It's been generally reliable for me when looking at my daughter's location, but I noticed yesterday that it said she was offline, and no location showed up at all. But after I called her for another reason and asked her to check, it suddenly showed up. I wonder if her Google Maps app (on an iPhone) was being restricted in the background, or if this was a problem with the Google Maps server.

As VidJunky mentioned, it's important to know the exact brand and model number of your phone. "S23 Pro" sounds like a cheap knockoff of a Samsung phone that one might find on sites like Wish or Aliexpress, and for those kinds of devices, all bets are off. They typically lie through their teeth about their specs and Android version (and I would also be very cautious about using them with any sensitive account, like your Google account or anything financial).

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking knockoff too but wanted to give the OP a chance to verify, I mean how many times have we seen people call Android things by their Apple counterpart's name? Facetime, iSO, AppStore... And I totally agree with B. Diddy one can never know what will or will not work with an off-brand device. If you can settle this point however we can move on to offering better advice.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking knockoff too but wanted to give the OP a chance to verify, I mean how many times have we seen people call Android things by their Apple counterpart's name? Facetime, iSO, AppStore... And I totally agree with B. Diddy one can never know what will or will not work with an off-brand device. If you can settle this point however we can move on to offering better advice.
If you want to be entertained, check out the YouTuber SMOOREZ, who loves to review knockoff phones from Wish, AliExpress, and the like. He shows just how much the phones lie about their specs.

BABYLONRUN

Dec 11, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums.

We will need more information to offer the best advice.

When you say S23 Pro do you mean S23 Plus or S23 Ultra? Samsung does not make a Pro phone.

When you say you're sharing locations, do you mean you're sharing a location, like someplace to go, a restaurant, a store or do you mean your location, like meet me here?

Without sharing any personal information could you show us a screenshot of what you see when you attempt to share a location? Please edit the screenshot if it should show any identifying information please.

How long have you had this device? During setup did you give Maps permission to access your contacts? To check if it has permission to see and use your contacts navigate to your Settings>Apps>Maps>Permissions, touch Contacts, does it have this permission?

Let us know what you find.
It's an s23 ultra from bell, and yes I think the app contacts were off, I'll let you know how it goes ,thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000