Using Samsung SM-T818A. Samsung did a factory reset for me bc I was getting an error message about "problem parsing the package" which I was unable to clear. Samsung tech support was unable to clear it also and so we did a factory reset. I backed up everything, but I lost my Messenger (Google) app. I was able to transfer it from my cellphone, so the Messenger app is on my tablet. However, I am unable to set it as the default app. When try to send a text, it gives me a message that the SMS is disabled. When i go to Settings, Apps, Default Apps, Set as Default, the Messages icon is not there. I can go to Apps in Settings and find the Messages app there, and it says it is NOT set as default. I have no way to set it as the default app because it does not appear in the list of apps in "Set As Default". PLEASE HELP ME!! I AM AT MY WIT'S END!
    PS I have downloaded other Messaging apps, but still does not let me change to Messages, because is never appears on the list of apps in "Set As Default". So my question really is, How Do I get Messages on the List of Default Apps! PLEASE HELP ME! (I don't want to use a different app bc I use Messages on my Android phone... I also use What'sApp, but only for one friend who uses it.
    07-06-2019 09:31 PM
    Using Samsung SM-T818A. Samsung did a factory reset for me bc I was getting an error message about "problem parsing the package" which I was unable to clear. Samsung tech support was unable to clear it also and so we did a factory reset. I backed up everything, but I lost my Messenger (Google) app. I was able to transfer it from my cellphone, so the Messenger app is on my tablet. However, I am unable to set it as the default app. When try to send a text, it gives me a message that the SMS is disabled. When i go to Settings, Apps, Default Apps, Set as Default, the Messages icon is not there. I can go to Apps in Settings and find the Messages app there, and it says it is NOT set as default. I have no way to set it as the default app because it does not appear in the list of apps in "Set As Default". PLEASE HELP ME!! I AM AT MY WIT'S END!
    PS I have downloaded other Messaging apps, but still does not let me change to Messages, because is never appears on the list of apps in "Set As Default". So my question really is, How Do I get Messages on the List of Default Apps! PLEASE HELP ME! (I don't want to use a different app bc I use Messages on my Android phone... I also use What'sApp, but only for one friend who uses it.
    You can try to reset app preference, and let me know if that works?
    07-06-2019 09:49 PM
    Uninstall the app (if you installed it by running the .apk, otherwise it's not installed and you may have to do another factory reset).

Then run Play, type messages into the search box, and it should be the first one. Install it from there.

(Messenger is the Facebook app, Messages is the Google texting app.)
    07-07-2019 02:43 PM