Is this the beginning of the end for Play Music?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Let us know how you like YouTube Premium! My husband suggested I try Spotify or Amazon's Music UI (we have Prime); but I've paid for my music on GPM so I figure I may have to go to YT to make it more worthwhile. :|
I have youtube premium family for £18 a month. Get 6 accounts for that. Get YT premium, YT music and GPM for all my family and my friend.

blak8830

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have no interest in YouTube Music, didn't use Play Music very much, and I don't ever stream music.
I've made sure to download any music I've purchased, and am removing or disabling Play Music
wherever I can.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I will say this much the interface of Google play music / YouTube music is very similar with the algorithm / machine learning and the prediction engine working very similarly versus Spotify and a lot of other music services. The issue and the noise that I have with Spotify and a lot of other music services is either the interface is clunky, this suggestions and algorithms don't work that well, and it's just too in-depth / detailed and gets annoying and cumbersome for me to use at the end of the day. I just want to click on some music start listening and for it to predict something that I'm actually going to enjoy next.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm such a sucker. After I realized that my wife indeed used my previous Google Play Music subscription, I decided today to upgrade my YouTube Premium individual plan to the family plan. If any of you have a bridge to sell, I may be interested in buying it.:p

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm such a sucker. After I realized that my wife indeed used my previous Google Play Music subscription, I decided today to upgrade my YouTube Premium individual plan to the family plan. If any of you have a bridge to sell, I may be interested in buying it.:p
You're hilarious!

I've tried our Pandora, but doesn't have a dark mode,more importantly, doesn't have a built-in equalizer! Need that. Lol. Tried Amazon music, but obviously, it doesn't work well with Google Assistant, so that's out.. YouTube music premium is great on all accounts so far!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
honestly though, for me right now, I will be using YouTube music premium in the future, but right now I'm going to use Google play music until it dies honestly.

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I have no interest in YouTube Music, didn't use Play Music very much, and I don't ever stream music.
I've made sure to download any music I've purchased, and am removing or disabling Play Music
wherever I can.
I'm with you. All my music is on device. No need for streaming what I already own and using data that cost me more money.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I too will use GPM until it becomes obsolete.
Hey, buddy, thank you! Yeah, I tried Pandora, Amazon Music, Spotify, YouTube Music Premium, and I keep on coming back to YouTube music because the UI and the machine learning and the music predictions are most identical to Google play Music which I love. Also, the UI of YouTube music is so much smoother, more intuitive, has the built-in equalizer, so for 10 bucks a month in the future after the few months trial for free is over that's what I will be using. Right now I have XM satellite radio for the next 6 months in my car which sounds amazing but it also sucks on my phone but that's when Google play Music comes in handy until it expires itself!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No bridges to sell. But I have some wonderful ocean front property in Kansas that I need to sell.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So after trying to deal with the free version of Google play Music for a few weeks, I'm finally giving up on it because the playback to the application sucks. Audio freezes, glitches, and sometimes just ****s down. I'm going to try to freeze my SiriusXM Subscription, because I just paid for YouTube music premium from my Google play rewards account. It's just a smoother experience overall. Done deal. Honestly, Google play music just made the music listening experience so unenjoyable, unfortunately.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm due for my extended free trial of YTM to expire and I have yet to get the offer to migrate my library so that I can test it the way I use it..

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I never had downloaded music on my phone so for me it's all streaming stuff. It's really a bad business model for Google though. I mean for them they love it because Google knows that no one is going to use the free version of YouTube music because that means you can't multitask Or do anything else on your phone while listening to music. Therefore they charge you to subscription fee and voila you have all the features in the world! Versus the free version of Google play Music because even with ads you could multitask in the background and still not pay anything from music. Sucks for us!

Also, I will say this much for music algorithms, for Google play Music if I were play hard Rock song which featured a country artist, and Google play Music application, the next few songs I would have to listen to would be all country artists. And YouTube music, if there's one hard rock song with some country elements mixed in, I don't have to listen to all country music if that makes sense.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't get how the two services are even remotely related, let alone how one can replace the other, while at the same time taking away all of the things that made it worthwhile in the first place.

1) can you listen to YTM while your phone is off? Because I could do that with GPM. I would keep my phone in my pocket, and for whatever reason, if it was YouTube and I had to keep the screen on, it would register accidental touches...THROUGH JEANS!.

2) Will the YTM we get be ad free? Because I can listen to GPM in the shower with my Bluetooth speakers and not worry about commercials. But when I listen to a YouTube video, the problem is there are commercials every 5 minutes, and you can't skip them via Bluetooth speaker.

3) GPM wasn't a battery drainer, but because YTM has to have the screen on, you can't even listen to music without killing your battery.

I've had the GPM family plan ($15) for years, and switching to YTM just seems like a way for Google to either make me listen to add, or make me pay more for the same service.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Okay, instead of erasing my previous post, thought I would just add to it.

I downloaded the YTM app and signed in. First thing I did was play a song and proceed to turn off my phone.

The music was still playing.

That takes care of my battery drain and being able to play music in the background.

I think it'll be okay. The interface is very youtube-y, and I think that like myself, others may associate it with videos and visual content, but it looks like it's just music.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't get how the two services are even remotely related, let alone how one can replace the other, while at the same time taking away all of the things that made it worthwhile in the first place.

1) can you listen to YTM while your phone is off? Because I could do that with GPM. I would keep my phone in my pocket, and for whatever reason, if it was YouTube and I had to keep the screen on, it would register accidental touches...THROUGH JEANS!.

2) Will the YTM we get be ad free? Because I can listen to GPM in the shower with my Bluetooth speakers and not worry about commercials. But when I listen to a YouTube video, the problem is there are commercials every 5 minutes, and you can't skip them via Bluetooth speaker.

3) GPM wasn't a battery drainer, but because YTM has to have the screen on, you can't even listen to music without killing your battery.

I've had the GPM family plan ($15) for years, and switching to YTM just seems like a way for Google to either make me listen to add, or make me pay more for the same service.
Well as far as I know, the free version of YouTube music you have to keep the screen on and be in the app in order for music to play. Done deal. That's how Google get you. In the free version of Google play Music, you can listen to music in the backyard with ads. In the free version of YouTube music you can't do that..that's the problem that I have with it. However, I've tested ALL of the other streaming services out there. Spotify is OK.. it's music predictions for me suck, but the sound quality is pretty good. Pandora is free of course, and it's music predictions are pretty good, but the audio bit rate is terrible! Very dear/flat sounding music. Amazon music is good, bit if course doesn't integrate well with Google Assistant, so that's out for obvious reasons. Lol. YouTube music is really the best of both worlds. Again, unfortunately, you just can't multitask with the music in the free version. If Google enabled that feature within YouTube music's free version, it'd be a good mine. Just saying... Lol. It's got the digital built-in equalizer, and my awesome music predictions.. it's a win-win...

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay, instead of erasing my previous post, thought I would just add to it.

I downloaded the YTM app and signed in. First thing I did was play a song and proceed to turn off my phone.

The music was still playing.

That takes care of my battery drain and being able to play music in the background.

I think it'll be okay. The interface is very youtube-y, and I think that like myself, others may associate it with videos and visual content, but it looks like it's just music.
Then, for YouTube music, you must have the premium version not the free version! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty