Interesting poll results

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
OMGOSH a slider! I'd be there!

I definitely get what you're saying. As one user and buyer, you can only do so much!
If I really wanted it my way, I'd want a new BB Classic.

But since I want the thing to succeed and find its place in this (stale) market, I'd prefer to give up on my personal preferred form factor for the good of the keyboard in general.

What I'm trying to say is that it's better to have a successful slider every year or two, whose keyboard provides a 7/10 experience, than a one-hit-wonder 10/10 perfection that sees no successor because too little people wanted a smaller screen.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

But since I want the thing to succeed and find its place in this (stale) market, I'd prefer to give up on my personal preferred form factor for the good of the keyboard in general.

What I'm trying to say is that it's better to have a successful slider every year or two, whose keyboard provides a 7/10 experience, than a one-hit-wonder 10/10 perfection that sees no successor because too little people wanted a smaller screen.
Price will be the deciding factor, despite what design it comes in. I just don't want to spend a load of money on any smartphone any more.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I totally agree with your analogy. And I'd always wanted to try a BlackBerry Torch - but that never happened. If I can at least *hold* a BlackBerry slider phone in my hand, I'd be fulfilling one of my phone dreams!

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I totally agree with your analogy. And I'd always wanted to try a BlackBerry Torch - but that never happened. If I can at least *hold* a BlackBerry slider phone in my hand, I'd be fulfilling one of my phone dreams!
Well if that's all, you can fulfill that dream by buying some $90 BB Priv on eBay lol

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Price will be the deciding factor, despite what design it comes in. I just don't want to spend a load of money on any smartphone any more.
I think different people have different ideas of "load of money".

The thing with today's slabs is that a $1000 flagship doesn't seem to provide that big of a difference in the overall experience, than a $400 midrange does.

I'd want a device that changes the way I use my phone. One that feels interesting/different to use all the time, not just during a two-week "honeymoon" period after unboxing. No slab could provide that.

What are your thoughts on the Titan Pocket?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I think different people have different ideas of "load of money".

The thing with today's slabs is that a $1000 flagship doesn't seem to provide that big of a difference in the overall experience, than a $400 midrange does.

I'd want a device that changes the way I use my phone. One that feels interesting/different to use all the time, not just during a two-week "honeymoon" period after unboxing. No slab could provide that.

What are your thoughts on the Titan Pocket?
I agree about the fact a mid range can perform almost as well (to me) as a "flagship" phone. That's why I won't pay flagship prices.

Never heard of the Titan. Not sure what the specs are but I saw a pic and it looks close to the Classic, which I loved. $299? I'd give it a try!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't think I ever did on my BlackBerry devices. My Q10 had double tap to wake with security PIN, so I guess it take a lot for it to be accidentally bumped around. But my phones are always in my purse and never in my pocket, so I guess I never really had accidental touch problems on my phones.
That's good they had this to prevent accidental touches , never used one so was curious.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That's good they had this to prevent accidental touches , never used one so was curious.

For sure! I believe my Q10 had this thing on the screen where you touched the bottom and slid up to try and unlock it. I think that also helped against accidental touches! Sorry, I don't think it had double tap to wake - I think it had the other thing I mentioned. It's been a while! Haha.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yep, swipe up to turn on screen and swipe up to go home...wayyy before Apple and Google got in on those gestures lol

But it got them nowhere.

BlackBerry is dead and this is another corporation trying to use the name to make money. Show us something worth changing to. Prove you have a worthy UI. Otherwise it’s just another dead in the water device.

Fingers crossed it’s more than that.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
But it got them nowhere.

BlackBerry is dead and this is another corporation trying to use the name to make money. Show us something worth changing to. Prove you have a worthy UI. Otherwise it’s just another dead in the water device.

Fingers crossed it’s more than that.
It's a startup though and on their first device, I don't think we can expect them to produce something as "extraordinary" as what the mainstream manufacturers are doing.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It's a startup though and on their first device, I don't think we can expect them to produce something as "extraordinary" as what the mainstream manufacturers are doing.
My point exactly. This has been tried multiple times and always failed. While I hope for success, I won't put much money down until I see something worthy of my money.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
My point exactly. This has been tried multiple times and always failed. While I hope for success, I won't put much money down until I see something worthy of my money.
As consumers we should want there to be different options, so it's definitely a good thing when startups try to innovate, even if the finished product is not as polished as one from a major manufacturer.

Takes an open mind and willingness to take a bit of a risk to go for a niche product as opposed to the usual mainstream. The reward is (hopefully) a more enjoyable product.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
As consumers we should want there to be different options, so it's definitely a good thing when startups try to innovate, even if the finished product is not as polished as one from a major manufacturer.

Takes an open mind and willingness to take a bit of a risk to go for a niche product as opposed to the usual mainstream. The reward is (hopefully) a more enjoyable product.
Somewhat agree, except history has shown us otherwise. Innovate but show us the finished product is worthy of my money.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For sure! I believe my Q10 had this thing on the screen where you touched the bottom and slid up to try and unlock it. I think that also helped against accidental touches! Sorry, I don't think it had double tap to wake - I think it had the other thing I mentioned. It's been a while! Haha.
It's good they thought those things through back then .

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
It's good they thought those things through back then .
It's unfortunate that they didn't think through actually going Android right after dropping BBOS 7 in 2012, which would have saved them billions of dollars that they wasted on BB10 that almost bankrupted them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's unfortunate that they didn't think through actually going Android right after dropping BBOS 7 in 2012, which would have saved them billions of dollars that they wasted on BB10 that almost bankrupted them.
Back then everyone still trying new things out and which platform to use so not really their fault at that time .

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Back then everyone still trying new things out and which platform to use so not really their fault at that time .

Except they weren’t trying new things out because they thought they were unbeatable. Better CEO’s would have been looking not only short term but also long term.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
So I looked at that pocket titan. No thanks. Thick and not designed to take advantage of Androids best. If all you want is texting and basic internet it might be fine.

We’ll see what the new one from Onward Mobility looks like. Something similar to the Key devices at a reasonable price would interest me.