Interesting poll results

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Except they weren’t trying new things out because they thought they were unbeatable. Better CEO’s would have been looking not only short term but also long term.
Hard to say , you can't really predict future wise how your company will pan out , you can set goals and try different things and see what will stick and go from there . I think business wise there totally different mind set from back then to now, but I'm just taking a guess.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Hard to say , you can't really predict future wise how your company will pan out , you can set goals and try different things and see what will stick and go from there . I think business wise there totally different mind set from back then to now, but I'm just taking a guess.

Agree to some point. They were from the pager era. To them the BlackBerry devices were made for businesses and they didn’t think, like Steve Jobs, that business people would ever want to mix business with pleasure.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Agree to some point. They were from the pager era. To them the BlackBerry devices were made for businesses and they didn’t think, like Steve Jobs, that business people would ever want to mix business with pleasure.
In a way your right .

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
So I looked at that pocket titan. No thanks. Thick and not designed to take advantage of Androids best. If all you want is texting and basic internet it might be fine.

We’ll see what the new one from Onward Mobility looks like. Something similar to the Key devices at a reasonable price would interest me.
It's not for everyone, that's for sure. Seems to make for a nice "detox" communicator though. I'll definitely try it as a primary phone as soon as I receive mine and evaluate.

I definitely wish it were thinner and lighter, but it is what it is. The BB Classic is just too outdated software and spec wise to be serviceable today, especially with the 3G shutdown in the US.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Yeah, hanging onto an ecosystem that lacked modern app support all the way up until 2015 really killed them off (hanging on to the keyboard didn't).
Though of course to remain successful they would have needed to keep offering slabs alongside their other phones.

I also hope the Astro Slide and Pro 1-X will be successful enough, but it would be nice if having a keyboard in 2021 didn't mean buying a kickstarter phone.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, hanging onto an ecosystem that lacked modern app support all the way up until 2015 really killed them off (hanging on to the keyboard didn't).
Though of course to remain successful they would have needed to keep offering slabs alongside their other phones.

I also hope the Astro Slide and Pro 1-X will be successful enough, but it would be nice if having a keyboard in 2021 didn't mean buying a kickstarter phone.

The Pro 1-X is really interesting. I like that XDA developed it. That means it will have features smartphone enthusiasts actually want.

Currently $649 is the cheapest entry point. For a mid-range phone I’m not sure I’m ready to make a commitment.

Last edited:

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
The Pro 1-X is really interesting. I like that XDA developed it. That means it will have features smartphone enthusiasts actually want.

Currently $649 is the cheapest entry point. For a mid-range phone I’m not sure I’m ready to make a commitment.
The only thing about that wide landscape design I'd have concerns about is the typing experience (long thumb travel etc). It's really the kind of device I'd have to try in person to know if it's for me. A 6" landscape keyboard is a completely different animal from a portrait BB style one.

But good luck running into someone in the wild that uses a Pro 1 lol

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I sometimes wonder why the Samsung snap on top keyboard attachment doesn't try to make another go at it in the current market situation. I guess Samsung has enough data to know if that would be worth it. I can understand from earlier if Samsung was hesitant to do anything that would encourage folks to want to use PKBs, but in the current market there doesn't seem much risk of a successful snap on top Samsung attachment causing folks to abandon Samsung slabs for some other brand. Maybe would only be a good idea if Samsung didn't have so many different phone models and in terms of the snap on attachment not being universal. The SES attachment idea being worked I think is also novel, although I think it still has a lot of awkwardness aspects that are yet far from clear.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
From what I can tell right now, the current Uniherz PKB efforts seem to be destined to be the only real current efforts at an actual PKB for the next little while. Those seem to be basic phones, perhaps aimed at the core PKB and no-fuss users that have that need over all other priorities. Maybe it is the strategy to eventually start to move that concept to more powerful and richer Android experiences/specs if the basic ones are successful enough.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Check out the book "Losing the Signal" for a great explanation of how former co-CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie effectively ruined the company through failure to innovate.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
From what I can tell right now, the current Uniherz PKB efforts seem to be destined to be the only real current efforts at an actual PKB for the next little while. Those seem to be basic phones, perhaps aimed at the core PKB and no-fuss users that have that need over all other priorities. Maybe it is the strategy to eventually start to move that concept to more powerful and richer Android experiences/specs if the basic ones are successful enough.
There's also the Astro Slide and the F(x) Tec Pro 1-X that should be coming out shortly, around the same time as the Titan Pocket.

But aside from that and hopefully that 5G Berry, I haven't heard of anything else with a keyboard on the horizon yet.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
...and hopefully that 5G Berry...
I think various talk from on CB suggests that the 5G Berry (from OM) will barely be a BlackBerry, notwithstanding that it will be at least partially branded as such, if it ever comes out. A bunch of the CB talk is sometimes narrow-minded in my opinion. Not necessarily wrong, but sometimes just too subjectively always slamming things off or down.

It will be interesting to watch what happens around all the different efforts mentioned in this thread. Seems to me there is still at least some desire/need for a PKB capability and there are still some efforts that will make that happen in at least a limited manner.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of your feelings about BlackBerry, let's try and keep things civil. If you don't like it, great! If you like it, great! CB saw this a lot too. BlackBerry sure does bring out a lot of mixed emotions!

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of your feelings about BlackBerry, let's try and keep things civil. If you don't like it, great! If you like it, great! CB saw this a lot too. BlackBerry sure does bring out a lot of mixed emotions!
There are a few know-it-all members on CB that are just sure that they're never wrong. They make steam come out of my ears! I think I need to add to my mute list over there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter