iPhone passes Android in US Mkt share

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You can debate how mkt share is calculated, but no doubt this has been the trend the last several years. Teen/tween 1st-time phones overwhelmingly iPhone plus ppl switching for various reasons.

https://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-beats-android-2022-3204421/

You'd think there might be some iFatigue at some point, but still, Google, Samsung, etc need to come up with something more compelling for that to even matter.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
A iphone could be made out of a soap bar and have a Apple logo in back it still would outsell in the US

Its not just the phones they are heavily invested in Eco system. Andriod failed at this

I dont see Apple going down anytime soon, they make great products and have an operating system not challenged yet that more times then not work better then Android although i haven't seen it on my devices but lot people with Andriod experience lot of issues.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd say it's just marketing and momentum. Been that way since the first iPhone.

As an android user (Samsung), I see nothing "compelling" about the iPhone to this day to want to switch. And my wife uses one, so it's not like I don't know what they can do.

I just happen to like the customizable nature of Android. Even with Samsung's One UI, there's still a decent amount of stuff you can change.

But I also recognize that for most people, that just may not be a difference maker like it used to be. People just want to get their phone and start using it. No doubt iPhone is better at that.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe that many people in the USA consider Android phones to be cheap devices marketed to people who want a phone but don't want to spend much for it (by this I'm referring to devices from companies such as Alcatel, Revvl, TCL, etc.) or else Samsung. There needs to be at least some other brand that makes flagship devices to attract more people.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I thought Apple had slightly more of the market than Android for years...

This is why they will never release iMessage for another platform.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'd say it's just marketing and momentum. Been that way since the first iPhone.

As an android user (Samsung), I see nothing "compelling" about the iPhone to this day to want to switch. And my wife uses one, so it's not like I don't know what they can do.

I just happen to like the customizable nature of Android. Even with Samsung's One UI, there's still a decent amount of stuff you can change.

But I also recognize that for most people, that just may not be a difference maker like it used to be. People just want to get their phone and start using it. No doubt iPhone is better at that.

That's why I like Pixels, their software is cohesive, they do everything I need and do it better than any other Android I've used.. and they do it from the initial setup, without having to choose between a bunch of competing apps, and spend time setting up other accounts when I just want to log into my Google account and get going :p

Plus they let me do all the customizing I need to make it look nice for me. For my needs Sammy takes it way to far. I think that's part of the problem, too many competing apps and choices, too much confusion, and not enough seamless interaction with the OS.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I use an iPhone 13 Pro Max as my daily because of battery life; apps are better on it; I use a MacBook Pro for a personal computer so the ecosystem works flawlessly; and everyone in my family uses one. It's nice to use Apple Pay to send money to family and friends. I don't think I'll ever use an Android (right now) as a main phone just because of that. Google/Samsung should've worked on an ecosystem several years ago and they dropped the ball on that. Samsung is doing it now, but it's not executed all that well and many are already invested in the Apple ecosystem.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Google dropped the ball on ecosystem and abandoned tablets, Samsung and others pushed for their own instead if uniting.

IPhone has.
imessage, Android has no universal competitor.

FaceTime, much easier and pre-installed than anything on Android.

Ease of use, they don't constantly revamp and change iOS to the point you need to relearn it.

Flawless backup/clone for many years now, change devices and every app and all data moves, can't even tell its a new phone.

Still has better app support but the gap has greatly diminished, one stand out though is camera software.

More child safety features built in.

Kids who grew up with iPod touch or an iPad already know how to use their iPhone when they get it.

I've always preferred Samsung and Android but when I sold phones the iPhone was the better device and more logical purchase for many, can't argue that.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Google dropped the ball on ecosystem and abandoned tablets, Samsung and others pushed for their own instead if uniting.

IPhone has.
imessage, Android has no universal competitor.

FaceTime, much easier and pre-installed than anything on Android.

Ease of use, they don't constantly revamp and change iOS to the point you need to relearn it.

Flawless backup/clone for many years now, change devices and every app and all data moves, can't even tell its a new phone.

Still has better app support but the gap has greatly diminished, one stand out though is camera software.

More child safety features built in.

Kids who grew up with iPod touch or an iPad already know how to use their iPhone when they get it.

I've always preferred Samsung and Android but when I sold phones the iPhone was the better device and more logical purchase for many, can't argue that.

Simplicity and "just working" is definitely the Apple draw, and as much as I don't like their business tactics, I agree... that's what sells. And it should, because I think that's what the majority of people want out of a phone.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I guess "simplicity" is in the eye of the beholder. After all these years of iOS for example, I still can't get music, videos and other files easily onto and off of the iPhones of family members. I figured iTunes by now would have evolved a bit better, but for me it's still as screwed up as it has always has been. For all/any of my Android devices, I always just easily jump into putting (and taking) files from a folder structure on the device. Only very awkwardly with third party apps or jailbreaking (is that still possible?) can one mimic doing that with iOS. I realize there is a specific strategy here on Apple's part at play (to push people to streaming and online services), but "always data connected" concpets don't work well when one does not have a good solid data connection, or when there are partial power and ISP network outages, etc.... Overall, for me, Android will always be way more simpler than iOS, but I can see how folks jump onboard iOS (especially young first time users in the Western World, and those that don't want to fiddle with the ins and outs of computers) and then never want to leave. My entire family (except me) is in that situation.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I guess "simplicity" is in the eye of the beholder. After all these years of iOS for example, I still can't get music, videos and other files easily onto and off of the iPhones of family members. I figured iTunes by now would have evolved a bit better, but for me it's still as screwed up as it has always has been. For all/any of my Android devices, I always just easily jump into putting (and taking) files from a folder structure on the device. Only very awkwardly with third party apps or jailbreaking (is that still possible?) can one mimic doing that with iOS. I realize there is a specific strategy here on Apple's part at play (to push people to streaming and online services), but "always data connected" concpets don't work well when one does not have a good solid data connection, or when there are partial power and ISP network outages, etc.... Overall, for me, Android will always be way more simpler than iOS, but I can see how folks jump onboard iOS (especially young first time users in the Western World, and those that don't want to fiddle with the ins and outs of computers) and then never want to leave. My entire family (except me) is in that situation.
I guess you've nailed it there and put it in the nutshell. Couldn't agree with you more.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of it is overt and inadvertent peer pressure to use what other contemporaries are using. Sad, but true.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
As Android removes features that distinguished them from iPhones this is not surprising. Many posters here justify Android HW following iPhones, but if there is not much difference, why not just use an iPhone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
As Android removes features that distinguished them from iPhones this is not surprising. Many posters here justify Android HW following iPhones, but if there is not much difference, why not just use an iPhone.

For a lot of folks, price is a big factor. You can get an Android phone that does the same job for half the price... and a lot of people just want a phone they can afford. Also the ability to make your Android your own, not a cookie cutter. And I would guess there's some like me, who don't respect Apple enough to give them my money regardless.

Plus iPhones are bricks... well built bricks but still bricks lol. My pockets are only so big ;)

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I've always used PCs, not Macs. I will never use a Mac, since it is extremely lacking in terms of software it will run. iPhones are better suited for Mac users than for Windows users. Windows 11 has better integration with Android.

Additionally, I use Samsung Android devices (both phone and tablet). Samsung has Dex and excellent integration between OneDrive with Windows. I have a Microsoft365 subscription, which provides 1TB OneDrive storage, and it is easy for me to back up and access my data across all devices.

I have no use for iCloud, iTunes, or anything else from Apple.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The eco-system is definitely the big draw for me.

That makes sense. :)

For me, the ability to configure the components and upgrade the components is the main reason I like PCs, rather than Macs. Adding more RAM, changing the CPU or GPU, or even adding RGB fans to the case are things I enjoy doing.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Look, it's each to there own.

I love Android for its customisation and being able to relate it to many Windows operations. I would never use anything else.

There are others that don't give a flying elephant about tinkering and customisation. My daughter included, but that's ok.

Live and let live folks.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I love Android for its customisation and being able to relate it to many Windows operations. I would never use anything else.

There are others that don't give a flying elephant about tinkering and customisation. My daughter included, but that's ok.

Live and let live folks.

You said it perfectly! :)

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site

Live and let live folks.
I played around with a Windows tablet for a bit a while back (it was owned by a family member). I was really amazed when I realized I could access on it things like Control Panel and DOS-Prompt, just like on a Windows PC. I started to envision all the wonderful things I could do with it like robocopy and batch scripting. Unfortunately, that was just before Windows pulled the plug on their "mobile OS for phones and tablets". I think there was perhaps more potential in it then was realized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38