iPhone passes Android in US Mkt share

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I played around with a Windows tablet for a bit a while back (it was owned by a family member). I was really amazed when I realized I could access on it things like Control Panel and DOS-Prompt, just like on a Windows PC. I started to envision all the wonderful things I could do with it like robocopy and batch scripting. Unfortunately, that was just before Windows pulled the plug on their "mobile OS for phones and tablets". I think there was perhaps more potential in it then was realized.

There most definitely was... I waited and waited for the rumored "Surface Phone" to surface (pun intended lol)... and it actually did, running Android.

Oh well, the dream was fun :p

Annie_M

Trusted Member
Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Look, it's each to there own.

I love Android for its customisation and being able to relate it to many Windows operations. I would never use anything else.

There are others that don't give a flying elephant about tinkering and customisation. My daughter included, but that's ok.

Live and let live folks.

Amen to this!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, I'm waiting for the 15 Pro (or whatever it will be called). I usually get a new phone every 3 or 4 years. That said, I really really love the purple phone, but I'm waiting until next year.
Nice!
Purple is nice I got the pro in purple for the wife , my pro max got shipping notification it's coming to me from China, it had to clear customs and get a passport (really said package has been cleared by government agency )
This first time I had phone shipping from China directly

Annie_M

Trusted Member
Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Nice!
Purple is nice I got the pro in purple for the wife , my pro max got shipping notification it's coming to me from China, it had to clear customs and get a passport (really said package has been cleared by government agency )
This first time I had phone shipping from China directly

What color did you choose? And it's too bad you can't get frequent flyer miles for it! :D

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has a strong ecosystem as well. I think like most have echoed already, although Apples products work great together, the main draw to apple is the social status here in the states.

For Me: my s22, my watch 4, my galaxy buds live, my incoming tab s7 fe, samsung dex, samsung notes, the possibility of making my tablet a third monitor for work at home, Google messages and how it'll work across all my devices and in my browser, my upcoming purchase for a samsung tv and how itll work seamlessly with my other devices, these are all big draws for me and creates an ecosystem I enjoy. I also have the option of choosing hardware for a phone that has an array of variations.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I played around with a Windows tablet for a bit a while back (it was owned by a family member). I was really amazed when I realized I could access on it things like Control Panel and DOS-Prompt, just like on a Windows PC. I started to envision all the wonderful things I could do with it like robocopy and batch scripting. Unfortunately, that was just before Windows pulled the plug on their "mobile OS for phones and tablets". I think there was perhaps more potential in it then was realized.

Microsoft was the own worst enemy. They actually had a decent market share with with Windows 6.5 mobile (even through the system was awful, I had one). Windows 7 mobile was not bad, but they never developed an upgradable OS. Windows 7 was a dead end and you had to buy all new phones for Win 8 mobile. Was mostly true for Win 10 mobile, a very few phones could be upgraded.

Their tablet situation was even worse. MS never developed Win Mobile to run on tablets. They developed an abomination called Windows RT. I know, I bought on of these tables when MS was having a fire sale at MS Tech Ed in New Orleans. I bought a RT tablet for $99 that was selling for over $700 at the time in their stores. Crazy bad OS, you had RT apps that worked like tablet apps, but to use MS apps you had to open up a Windows environment, the only apps that ran in the environment were the MS Office apps.

If MS with Win 8 had built an OS like Android 4 (same time frame) that could run and phones and tablets they might have had a winner. They never had a cohesive story until it was too late. Balmer just assumed all MS had to do was put their name on a phone and tablet and people would flock to their devices.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
For a lot of folks, price is a big factor. You can get an Android phone that does the same job for half the price... and a lot of people just want a phone they can afford. Also the ability to make your Android your own, not a cookie cutter. And I would guess there's some like me, who don't respect Apple enough to give them my money regardless.

Plus iPhones are bricks... well built bricks but still bricks lol. My pockets are only so big ;)

But, as the article states, price is not as big of factor since iPhones have passed Android in the US.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
But, as the article states, price is not as big of factor since iPhones have passed Android in the US.
I think a lot of this is due to carrier incentives. I've seen ads from Verizon about getting a new iPhone 13 "on us". Of course that is a financing deal that is more like a contract, but I haven't seen any similar ads promoting Android devices like for the new Pixel 7, or for the Samsung Flip 4.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Iphone's have been around since 2007. But so many android's. Samsung, motorola, LG, HTC, Google, oneplus etc, etc. So Apple has a strong "Brand recognition" That Android can never equal. But at the end of the day. Phone enthusiasts love androids. But the masses still prefer Apple.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Iphone's have been around since 2007. But so many android's. Samsung, motorola, LG, HTC, Google, oneplus etc, etc. So Apple has a strong "Brand recognition" That Android can never equal. But at the end of the day. Phone enthusiasts love androids. But the masses still prefer Apple.

"The masses still prefer Apple" -- so true.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Yeah I was referring to world wide, overall Android has the majority of market share because in a lot of poorer countries they can't afford iPhones, or even high end Androids. In the US we're lucky enough to have the ability to afford some of the finer things lol. I should have stuck to the topic which was US sales ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood