Google Sides with GMAIL users

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Hurray!? It's somewhat disturbing that they give up the registration information without a warrant, but I'm glad that there is at least one line in the sand. We give Google nearly unlimited access to our information and they don't really have a legal obligation to protect it other than what is specified in the terms of service. This is one of the appealing things about Google, is that they publicly stand in the face of Governmental Abuse on some issues. Obviously this record is not perfect, but we also have to remember they are a company that has to survive within the political reality of all of the countries of the world, and in my opinion, them taking a stand on anything regarding privacy and personal freedoms is leaps and bounds ahead of what many of their competitors will do WITHOUT seeing a company like Google do it first.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
They didn't side with the users because they gave out some information to cops who had no legitimate need for the information. Why do I say that? Because the cops and the courts work for the government. If the cops can't get a warrant from a judge who gets paid by the same city/county/etc. that's strong evidence they had no legitimate need for the information.

They're fishing without any real suspicion. It's nice to see a company stop them from sticking their noses where they don't belong, even if the line wasn't drawn soon enough.