I think I'm done with tablets

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
For me a computer still does many things that I can't do on a tablet.

Cases in point. For work I have a Macbook Pro (16 gig of RAM, 500 gig SSD). I compile code in both JAVA and C++. I run VMWare Fusion which allows me to run multiple virtual machines with several versions of Windows and Linux operating systems simultaneously to test various network applications.

I have a Windows 8 desktop (8gb of RAM, 3 Terabytes of SSD and HDD storage, dual 24" monitors). I play numerous video games and stream music and videos to other devices like my iPad.

I don't think even a hybrid tablet/laptop will give me the ability to do all those things for several years yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Well call me a gadget addict but the new Nexus 7 looks just too cool to resist for $270 so I'm pulling a 180 reversal of my stance and getting one. Probably a Chrome cast too ;)

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I am trying out AIDE for this purpose.
That is the same app I used it works great for what I needed. But the best experience but it works. I found I had to install "Hackers keyboard" really made a difference.

Rocking with the Note II

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well call me a gadget addict but the new Nexus 7 looks just too cool to resist for $270 so I'm pulling a 180 reversal of my stance and getting one. Probably a Chrome cast too ;)

Very tempted to sell my 32GB WiFi first gen Nexus 7 to pick up a 32GB LTE second gen Nexus 7.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
For me a computer still does many things that I can't do on a tablet.

Cases in point. For work I have a Macbook Pro (16 gig of RAM, 500 gig SSD). I compile code in both JAVA and C++. I run VMWare Fusion which allows me to run multiple virtual machines with several versions of Windows and Linux operating systems simultaneously to test various network applications.

I have a Windows 8 desktop (8gb of RAM, 3 Terabytes of SSD and HDD storage, dual 24" monitors). I play numerous video games and stream music and videos to other devices like my iPad.

I don't think even a hybrid tablet/laptop will give me the ability to do all those things for several years yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I am in a similar scenario. I have an iMac with 32gb of ram etc because I run Windows 2012/Windows 7/Linux for testing purposes(Usually I have two VMs running at any given time). Only option I have with a tablet for that right now is remote desktop. Works decent but there is a little lag.

I think gaming will get better on mobile as companies like Nvidia make in roads on shrinking and improving gpu power for mobile devices. So I can see down the road a hybrid Windows 8 laptop/tablet do the same thing.

Went out and bought the Chromecast today, unfortunately it wont be in for 3-4 weeks. I got some great ideas for that device and for the price too hard to pass up.

Very tempted to sell my 32GB WiFi first gen Nexus 7 to pick up a 32GB LTE second gen Nexus 7.

I do that with my phones. Sell now while the value is decent. Staples has been selling the Nexus 7 for cheap.

Or you can do what my buddy does. He has a movable swivel arm in his bathroom wall where he attaches his previous generation tablet to for his reading pleasure or music streaming while taking a shower.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

I had thought about the LTE one but I don't want to pay my carrier the extra $$ to add another device :( I'll prob just hotspot the wifi one off my phone when required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38