Galaxy A20e: USB connectivity issue with Windows 10 PC

baz

Feb 8, 2024
Visit site
Hello folks :D
Hope this finds you all well! I have a persistent issue with my phone, first up I'll stick to the 'Asking your question' pinned post to provide as much info as possible.
Device: Samsung Galaxy A20e SM-A202F/DS, Android Version 11. Currently using SIM-only deal with EE (UK provider), phone was originally provided in Sept 2019 under a contract, phone has never been customised or modified, nor has it ever underwent any repairs.

The issue is that when connected via USB (genuine Samsung cable), the phone will only charge, and is not recognised by File Explorer in This PC (I'm using Windows 10 Home Edition running on a HP slimline desktop). This was never an issue until either 2020 or 2021 (sorry I can't rermember which year!), up until this point the phone would automatically be recognised in 'This PC'. Then, along came a software update which I duly installed. And from then on... intermittent problems with PC connectivity ever since. Far more often that not, the PC will fail to recognise the phone. Waaay more often than not, in fact.

I took the phone to my local EE store, they gave me a new cable, yet the problem persisted. They installed and ran the 'EE MOT' app on my phone (for those not familiar, an MOT test is an annual test we have on motor vehicles in the UK to comply with safety regulations), and whilst it showed that all software updates were in place and up to date, there was some small minor software isuse that the MOT app flagged up, the specifics of which I cannot recall (I still have the app on my phone, so can run again and post results if required). The guy in the store was of the opinion that it was a software issue, not a hardware problem, and suggested a reset. To this day that's not an option I've taken. I think the charging port may be minimally (if at all) defective, as it sometimes fails to fast-charge with certain cables and will only go on the slow charge with the 'Make sure your device is properly connected to the charger' appearing. That said, it goes into fast charging mode the vast majority of the time with the 2 genuine samsung cables. A fix for the slow charge has been to boot into safe mode and restart.

The strangest thing happened today... I had plugged in the phone to the pc whilst the pc was locked but awake, just to charge, as my charger was in another room. A few minutes later, I hear the Windows 10 alert sound - you know the one - of recognising a USB device attached! I unlock the PC, go to This Pc, and my phone is visible. Double click... "This device is empty", or something like that, said Windows. I looked at the phone, which had now flashed up a little prompt to allow ar deny the PC access to the phone's contents, and i tapped allow. For the first time in a very long time... all was well and I could see the phone's contents in Windows. I thought to myself "I bet if I simply unplug the phone (at the phone's USB-C end) cable, and then back in again, it'll go back to NOT working again"... and I was right, it then did not work... Going out of my mind!! It's only recently that I have installed an SD card, with a view to using this as a means to back up the data and then finally go for a full reset... Thoughts?
If you've gotten this far, thanks for staying with me and reading in full!
Regards
baz

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Typically, when you connect a phone to a computer via USB, you still have to swipe down the notification panel, tap the USB notification, and select the connection option that shows up (i.e., MTP/File Transfer rather than Charge Only). Does that show up for you?

baz

Feb 8, 2024
Visit site
Hello B.Diddy, thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm aware of that option.... unfortunately, it's an option which I don't get on the phone when thephone is attached to the PC! I've attached a couple of screenshots, you'll see from them that the MTP/File Transfer option is not appearing after swiping down. Screenshot_20240209-144707_One UI Home.jpg

After swiping down...

Screenshot_20240209-144714_Permission controller.jpg

I'm lost!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There could be a problem with the USB port. Use a toothbrush dipped in rubbing alcohol to scrub the port, let it dry, and then see if it connects properly afterwards. If it still doesn't, you might have to bring the phone to a repair shop.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29