Best Free Texting with app.....

Blackbeagle

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good free texting app that will use MY phone number rather than an assigned number? Also I'd like to have an app where the recipient of the text does NOT need to install the same app in order to receive my text. I've tried TextPlus for a while but a lot of peple have complained that they don't know who it was they were responding to due to the 'assigned number'. I thought Textra was free, but I found that it wasn't. Mighty text was working on my tablet, but I can't get it to work on my phone. Everytime I launch that app, it says, "This phone is linked with Mightytext".....but I can't do anything beyond this.

Thanks-

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Textra is free. In sure there is s premium version available out there, but the core app is 100% no charge.

Anyways, what functions are you looking for that your stock app doesn't provide?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Blackbeagle

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Sorry. I should have been more specific. When I mean "Free", I mean it doesn't suck up my texting data plan. I have Verizon. We have unlimited data but NOT text. Where as my friend, who's on ATT, has unlimited text, but not unlimited data.

I was using Textra for the last few weeks, thinking it was 'free', but my wife just told me I've used up about 75% of our texting plan for the month.

Jron954

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good free texting app that will use MY phone number rather than an assigned number? Also I'd like to have an app where the recipient of the text does NOT need to install the same app in order to receive my text. I've tried TextPlus for a while but a lot of peple have complained that they don't know who it was they were responding to due to the 'assigned number'. I thought Textra was free, but I found that it wasn't. Mighty text was working on my tablet, but I can't get it to work on my phone. Everytime I launch that app, it says, "This phone is linked with Mightytext".....but I can't do anything beyond this.

Thanks-

Try handcent or go sms pro

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Thanks-

Not sure there is a way on Android.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There should be services that work with data. Many of the third party sms apps have their own services. Look into some of those (chomp, handcent, go, etc) services and see what they offer.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Blackbeagle

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded Gosms. I just want to make sure it's not taking up my Text allotment. If I find out that Android doesnt allow this, then Ill go back to TextPlus and tell me friends it's me that's sending the message.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded Gosms. I just want to make sure it's not taking up my Text allotment. If I find out that Android doesnt allow this, then Ill go back to TextPlus and tell me friends it's me that's sending the message.

GoSMS does use your text allotment. The only way I know to do what you are trying to do is to port your number to Google voice and use that. But then your number is stuck there. It's not something I would recommend for most people.

Noted via tapatalk

andee1517

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of a texting app that doesn't go against your texting plan (assuming you don't have unlimited) I used Go SMS on Verizon and it counted against my monthly allotment. Don't think there is a way around that since it is connected to your phone number.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

anonymous495876038576

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Google Voice has some extremely negative side effects, though - no MMS, no group texting, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

That's right. Thanks for mentioning that. I really only use Google voice when my phone dies and I have another device. But I don't use it all the time so I forgot that. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So essentially get those apps where you are assigned a number so it doesn't go against your allotment or you're SOL?

Pretty much.

I think you're looking for an iMessage clone for Android, which doesn't yet exist. (This is what everyone wants Google Hangouts to become)

Posted via Android Central App

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
There isn't one (at least there isn't one that works as seamless as carrier texting plans). Else everyone would drop their texting plans already. Best you can do is Google Voice and deal with its limitation.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty