Recently read a post on CNET on moving away from Google and it got me thinking how much I actually depend on them from Google Tasks to YouTube, to Google drive. I was wondering (hypothetically) if you were to move away from Google what services would you use instead of the ones you now rely on Google for?

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App
    09-08-2013 07:57 AM
    I really don't think the title matches what your question is on this one.

I have no idea what I would use. If Google works for you why the need to think about switching? iCNET is a CBS company which in 2011 went all Apple, hmmmm...
    09-08-2013 08:26 AM
    I think since android is Google (if I'm not mistaken) you pretty well need it for android. A lot of android features are more and more based off of using Google,
    That's not a bad thing, Google has just become a monster ( in a good way) and to get the fullness of android your probably going to need a Google account, and be using Google maps, and my phone now relies on Google now for some of my features, like touchless controls and moto connect ( which allows me to read and answer texts from my computer if I am on google)

I heard before and I don't know how true it is that Samsung wanted to move away from android and be more self contained like apple.. But at this point it would be a long uphill battle.

Using my Moto Droid Maxx
    09-08-2013 08:41 AM
    I really don't think the title matches what your question is on this one.

I have no idea what I would use. If Google works for you why the need to think about switching? iCNET is a CBS company which in 2011 went all Apple, hmmmm...
    I use all of googles service on NY android phone hence, "Can you use android without using google" title. Anyways its hypothetical, if you could use services in place of googles own, what would you use?

09-08-2013 09:31 AM
    I use all of googles service on NY android phone hence, "Can you use android without using google" title. Anyways its hypothetical, if you could use services in place of googles own, what would you use?

The title is about android while the thread I about Google services. The answer to your title is good luck trying to use Android who is owned by Google without using Google services. To answer the question in your thread for email and calendar I would probably use Yahoo, it has greatly improved as well as their search/news/finance tabs, I'm not a big fan of Microsoft's new futuristic look to EVERYTHING. Youtube to my knowledge there is nothing comparable. Cloud storage I would use Skydrive since I get 25GB, if I needed more than 25GB (I never have needed that much) I would use Ubuntu One since getting more storage is dirt cheap $2.99/month per 20GB.
    09-08-2013 09:50 AM
    There's a couple threads here and on xda about GAPPS replacement. Basically, its doable but a pain to implement and maintain.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    09-08-2013 12:58 PM
    Well to answer your question on the topic the answer is yes.

But its hard to use any phone without Google

Posted via Android Central App
    09-08-2013 01:25 PM
    There's a couple threads here and on xda about GAPPS replacement. Basically, its doable but a pain to implement and maintain.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    Yep that would be "Project No Gapps". And you're correct it requires root, and is not fully functional yet (the replacement play store is only a placeholder at the moment).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    09-08-2013 01:40 PM
    Sure you can use Android without Google services, but you will have to sideload every app since you must use the Play store to d/l apps that requires a play store login. It just depends on what you want to do with your Android device.
    09-08-2013 02:48 PM