Do you use Hangouts as your default text messaging app?

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
If so, how is it? I am thinking of using it instead of other text messaging apps. How does it compare to gosms, Textra, handcent, etc? Thanks!

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna switch from textra to hangouts full time when it launches. Downloaded the apk and mms didn't work so I'll wait for the official release.

Posted via Android Central App

tonyeezy

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me when you're in Hangouts and it goes from Google account to Google account IM'ing does it: 1, automatically pick it up a person in your contacts has a google account? 2, do you need a Google+ profile setup or does it just use the account logged in on your phone?

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
it isolates SMS/MMS from Hangouts. They all work side by side but it doesn't combine separate discussions from the 2 platforms under one contact. If "John Doe" sends an SMS/MMS then it's seen as tied to his Phone Number/Contact. If he sends a Hangout then it's under his Google account. Until they marry Google Voice over, I don't see it all combining. It's still pretty handy but it's also a little buggy yet.

tonyeezy

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone comment is SMS and MMS especially is a little more stable? On my Gnex and previous phones MMS would barely ever send for me or would take days. Wasn't really reliable or quick at all.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying it out but right now I'm leaning towards sticking with Go SMS Pro. Hangouts doesn't have pop-up notifications which I would miss. That and I gave yet to get any hangouts notifications if new text messages. Not sure if Go SMS is overriding it or what...

jparker71

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone comment is SMS and MMS especially is a little more stable? On my Gnex and previous phones MMS would barely ever send for me or would take days. Wasn't really reliable or quick at all.

I've only sent one pic and my wife didn't receive it until two days later. So it appears it'll be more of the same on that front. Regular texts send and receive without issue. Overall I like it more than other SMS apps, just because of the unified messaging. I use Hangouts a lot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tonyeezy

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
That's unfortunate. Such a weak point of Android and so simple to mess up. That's been happening since my original Motorola droid days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa