What's the best older android phones for my 12 yr olds?

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
None of these responses are keeping in mind the OP is requesting a device for around 60 bucks. Yet everyone continues to suggest 200+ dollar phones.
It's for a 12 year old, it doesn't need to have the latest hardware specs or OS.
My suggestion would been an iPhone 3gs or 4, or as previously suggested the original Galaxy S. You can find these used all day long for less than 80 bucks.
Make sure you put a good case on it.
Good luck!

tap'n

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would go for a Windows phone 8 device. 520,620,720,820, or 920 are great choices. The $520 can be had for as little as $100 no contract

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app

Yep, it would be a good choice to get one of these phones. These guys think that's a bad idea though. I'm glad to see another person who at least shares some of my thoughts

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod

I actually think Windows Phone is a great idea in this situation, specifically the Lumia 520 (which has fairly similar internals to the Moto G, by the way). I just thought the 800 and 900 (a phone I used to have) were bad ideas because they are two year old devices on an old version of the OS that doesn't have many of the most popular apps. I've long been a proponent of low end Windows Phones over low end Android phones because Windows Phone runs better on weak hardware than Android does. It will be interesting to see how KitKat runs on a device like the Moto G to see if Google has closed that gap some

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
None of these responses are keeping in mind the OP is requesting a device for around 60 bucks. Yet everyone continues to suggest 200+ dollar phones.
It's for a 12 year old, it doesn't need to have the latest hardware specs or OS.
My suggestion would been an iPhone 3gs or 4, or as previously suggested the original Galaxy S. You can find these used all day long for less than 80 bucks.
Good luck!

tap'n

Most of us have said that its a bad idea to get those. Its going to be a bad experience and the kids won't enjoy them. So they will end up sitting there, never being used.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I still have my Galaxy S1 (Fascinate) and it works perfectly fine. Sure, it's not as snappy as my S3, but it will be just fine for a 12 y/o. Unless their folks are paying for unlimited data (which I seriously doubt) it's likely the phone will MAINLY be used for calls & texts, not streaming music and watching YouTube.

tap'n

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Most of us have said that its a bad idea to get those. Its going to be a bad experience and the kids won't enjoy them. So they will end up sitting there, never being used.

Exactly! My son would chuck it in the corner and forget about it. That's why I always buy decent phones. My son is no *****, he knows when a phone is bad. I'm assuming the OP's 12 year olds will know as well

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Good luck!

tap'n

In my opinion, the OP shouldn't be so cheap and he should buy something decent for them. In fact, we've explained that a ton in this thread. It should be a decent phone, certainly nothing like the 3gs. I would say an IPhone 4s would be perfect or the Nexus 4.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
It's not about giving your child everything he wants. I wanted a lot of things when I was 12, but my parents didn't give me everything I wanted. Once they turn 16 you can give him a shiny fast device. The kids 12, it's his first phone, his parents don't want to spend a fortune....he'll be perfectly happy with a pre-owned Galaxy S1 or IPhone 3gs/4.
It's all fine when it's not your kid or you're money. Be realistic guys. The OP requested suggestions with a certain price point in mind for a reason.

tap'n

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
It's not about giving your child everything he wants. I wanted a lot of things when I was 12, but my parents didn't give me everything I wanted. Once they turn 16 you can give him a shiny fast device. The kids 12, it's his first phone, his parents don't want to spend a fortune....he'll be perfectly happy with a pre-owned Galaxy S1 or IPhone 3gs/4.
It's all fine when it's not your kid or you're money. Be realistic guys. The OP requested suggestions with a certain price point in mind for a reason.

tap'n

We're being realistic, and the realistic thing about your suggestion is that you're recommending him to buy a bad phone. This will be a school phone, a homework phone, and a game phone. It should perform well. That's why my son has a nice phone. I could care less what they think, I'm talking about overall benefit and it has a huge one to education

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
You're entitled to your opinion just as I am and I respect that. I'm simply saying there's nothing wrong with the phones I suggested. My S1 works perfectly fine still to this day. That's great that you got your child an expensive phone, congratulations. But the OP is obviously on a budget and asked for suggestions with a certain price point in mind.

tap'n

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You're entitled to your opinion just as I am and I respect that. I'm simply saying there's nothing wrong with the phones I suggested. My S1 works perfectly fine still to this day. That's great that you got your child an expensive phone, congratulations. But the OP is obviously on a budget and asked for suggestions with a certain price point in mind.

tap'n

There is a happy medium between a $60 Galaxy S and a shiny new powerful device. I'm not saying he should buy them both Nexus 5s or Galaxy S 4s. A Lumia 520 would be a more satisfying experience because they run a modern OS and utilize current technology. And the 520 is under $100 off contract (and will be on sale black Friday at best buy iirc).

Posted via Android Central App

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I forgot to mention....if you decide to purchase a used device off EBay or Craigslist, don't forget to double check the phones ESN/IMEI number before taking possession of said device. This ensures that the phone you're buying isn't stolen, and you won't have a problem activating it.
Good luck! :thumbup:

tap'n

ajpri

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I might be a bit of help on this, I'm 15 turning 16 in January:
Get a decent quality phone, yes its a bit more expensive, but it will be a better device in the end. I am a techie myself but from friends I figured to have a good device (I'd say $150). They work smarter.

As far as a recommendation goes, I'll agree that the Moto g is a good "reference point" for what to get. Just make sure what you're getting has good reviews and nothing too "iffy". Do your research.

I hope you choose a great device. :)

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (Android 4.2.2)

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
While you make a valid point, the OP had a set price in mind. 150 dollars it's a big leap from 60.
Trust me, a 12 y/o will be so excited to receive his first smart phone for Christmas, he won't care if it's a 60 dollar phone or a hundred and fifty dollar phone. There are plenty of great phones in this price range.

tap'n

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I won an HTC Rhyme and Samsung Galaxy Stellar on eBay for around $40 shipped (each) for my sister-in-law. Both seem solid though she'll probably end up using the Galaxy Stellar full-time since it is newer (has ICS vs. Gingerbread on the Rhyme) and has LTE. Not too shabby for $40.

I'm sure you can find something used in your $60 range for your carrier that will be good or even better than what I found for Verizon.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non