Apzen a700 Tablet for $40! No hoops to jump through. New.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, it's not the newsest tech. But for $40, this is an awesome deal. I found these at a big stack in the Denver DTC Microcenter, but I am told they sell them on their website as well and that walmart also sells them for the same price.

Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!

Normally $80 marked down to $40. It has the following specs:

- 7" Tablet
- 1.2ghz single core Cortex A8 processor (Mali GPU)
- 4.2.2 Jellybean installed (Don't hold your breath for updates, but...Jellybean!)
- 512MB RAM
- Vanilla Android (some pre-installed apps, but only a few)
- All Google apps installed, including Play store
- No GPS, Bluetooth or rear camera, but it does have wifi
- Gyro and accelerometer, but no ambient light sensor
- Front facing camera (0.3 MP)
- 800 x 480 display
- SD expansion to 32 gigs
- Rear speaker
- Headphone jack
- 4 gigs internal memory
- Battery life says 4.5 hours...you will be very lucky to get 2.5 or 3 though
- Charges like a phone, and can use any Micro USB charger

The display is actually pretty good. Very bright and good color and gradients for such a cheap device. View angles are weird...decent from eye level down but eye level up degrades badly (which I guess is to be expected because you are probably using this sitting or laying down). Side view angles are consistently decent on both sides.

Battery life is awful, but you should get at least a few hours off a full charge. The device itself is a little bulky and heavy, but not dramatically worse than the Nexus 7 IMO. Construction seems fairly solid, but the back has dense textured plastic, not the awesome Nexus soft touch plastic. SD slot has no door or cover on it.

Performance is surprisingly decent for such low specs. I credit Jellybean. As long as you are not doing heavy multi-tasking, it is reasonably responsive, but not snappy. A few years ago this would have felt fast. It will work for light gaming, Email, and web browsing. Google Voice does work on it, though a bit slowly.

Wifi strength is acceptable. Slightly less than what your smartphone probably gets. No GPS and no bluetooth, though Google Maps can still find your general position via wifi networks.

In general this tablet is like a really big Android phone. You can get google contacts app on there, but have to install a 3rd party dialer (I use EX Dialer). Not sure why, but the contacts App will ONLY display if you have a dialer installed. And it is the full Google Contacts app...it looks just like the one on my Nexus 5.

I am just thrilled to death that you can get a Vanilla Android device this cheap. I was burned on cheap devices a few years ago with the Coby tablets that I found out did not have Google Apps installed and were a pain to root. This is a bonafide Android tablet. Great cheap gift for parents or a kid...people who might not have Android phones.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
XDA has already rooted it.

Azpen A700 Root - ROMs - Recovery and General Info - xda-developers

For a fully functional tablet with a modern OS, the price is awesome IMO. How many dual core tablets do you know of that are even at $80? Bonus: Vanilla Android with no 3rd party skin or embedded crapware.

True. But my feeling is that the experience is seriously affected by the missing cores and will not be as smooth as many have become accustomed to. ...but for a kid? Great tool.

gp8.3

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
To get a reputable dual core and at least 1GB of RAM what is the least amount we can spend it is wondered.

g2
At the same store I saw a larger tablet for $80 that is 1ghz dual core last night. I think it has 1 gig RAM too, but the same GPU.

Eken GC10X Tablet GC10X - Micro Center

600p resolution, HDMI port, otherwise looks like similar specs. It's also 10", and I am finding I don't like large tablets as much as I thought I would (I already have an Asus Transformer and I don't use it because of the bulk and weight). But if I was gonna spend $80, I'd probably just spend the extra $20 for the ASUS MeMo pad. - ASUS MeMo Pad Tablet - Grey ME172V-A1-GR - Micro Center

Neither of these is as good a deal as the Apzen one IMO. There is nothing in that price range that touches it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non