Droid Maxx or Moto X?

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Which one do you prefer? My contact has ended and I am coming from a Gnex. All I really want is a better camera and great battery life. I've narrowed it down to these two. If I can get something that lasts me a whole day with LTE and sync services always running, that would be great. I prefer the hardware customization and the look of the Moto X, but I like the larger display of the Maxx. The Maxx seems just a tad too heavy for my personal preference though and the Ultra's body feels too glossy for me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If I stick with Verizon, I'm definitely getting a Maxx (although I'm starting to hear the siren song of T-Mobile and the Nexus 5). I actually found the Maxx to feel surprisingly light--in the store, it feels much lighter than my original Razr Maxx. The screen isn't much larger than the X, but it just seems much bigger with practical usage.

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Ha ya I did! But then I just realized I would be more comfortable with Android than iOS for 2 years. It would be fun to experiment with iOS, but looking at the phones today in Best Buy and Verizon started to sway my decision.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Makes sense :)
To answer your question, I'd go with the X. Only benefit I see with the Maxx is better battery life but the X should easily be able to last a full day

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I debated this for a long time as well. I went with the X. Ultimately, I wanted to try MotoMaker and I also had a feeling that the X would get updates faster than the DROID line. After all, the Moto X is bigger than the DROID line, overall, and I assume Motorola would put it's focus there. So far I've been right.

In regards to battery life, I couldn't be happier. If I'm home and on WiFi, mine routinely lasts 36 hours. On 4G, it will last 24 hours with light use. The other day I plugged in after 15 hours off the charger with a little over 3 hours of screen on time and about 15% battery left. I'm impressed.

The Maxx is awesome, if MotoMaker and updates don't matter that much to you, you should get it. I will say that it's heavy. I'll also say that personally, I didn't want physical buttons. Again, personal preference.

The Maxx would probably last me 3 days on a charge, which is way awesome and a win any way you cut it. But at the end of the day, updates are a priority for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Might I ask why have you narrowed it down to these two phones? I mean there are many more great phones out there.

Last edited:

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Might I ask why have you narrowed it down to these two phones? I mean there are many more great phones out there.

Definitely. I have to stay on Verizon first of all. I'm not a fan of Touchwiz or LG's overlay on the G2. I want a phone that feels good in the hand without it being the glossy plastic as well. The HTC One was a consideration, but the 4 megapixel camera kinda turns me away (coming from a Gnex, I want more detail in my photos). I've heard great things about the Moto X, and since they're pretty close cousins I am considering the Maxx as well.

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
If I had to choose one of these I would take the Moto X...
Mind you I'm not a fan of Verizon's over-lay, and I think Moto X suffered less from it, but other then that it's a Google phone, guaranteeing quick software updates (already proved by KitKat), and since I don't think the Maxx showed any big improvement, I really like the Moto X always-listening mode, so I guess that would be the turning-point for me...
So basically I would recommend you go with the moto x.
P.S. If you change your mind about these two phones, the G2 is pretty nice and the phone is perfectly usable without even touching all the add-ons:)

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Definitely. I have to stay on Verizon first of all. I'm not a fan of Touchwiz or LG's overlay on the G2. I want a phone that feels good in the hand without it being the glossy plastic as well. The HTC One was a consideration, but the 4 megapixel camera kinda turns me away (coming from a Gnex, I want more detail in my photos). I've heard great things about the Moto X, and since they're pretty close cousins I am considering the Maxx as well.

I would go for the X. Battery life should be lengthened by the excellent notifications system. Regarding your comment on the HTC One, unless you are planning on printing your pictures >A4 size I wouldn't worry about the fact it's only 4MP. It really is a superb camera, very fast startup, incredibly fast capture, brilliant low-light capability and the excellent zoe and highlight features really are impressive. It's the best camera on a phone I have used (had 3 iPhones, GNote, Galaxy S3 etc). Maybe take a look on the HTC One forum, theres a thread with image on there.

But between those two, the Moto X. It is a brilliant phone, don't understand why it hasn't been a smash seller.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Based on the responses in this thread, you can see that the answer is subjective. To be truthful, you really can't go wrong with either device. Both are equally good and your decision to go with one over the other won't disappoint and both should get you through the contract term. Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Went with the Moto X! Thanks for the help guys. I've seriously been thinking about this for a month. I ordered one with a navy blue back, silver accents and a black front. They say it should be here on the 6th (ordered it yesterday), but I sure do hope it's sooner than that. Looking forward to it!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Went with the Moto X! Thanks for the help guys. I've seriously been thinking about this for a month. I ordered one with a navy blue back, silver accents and a black front. They say it should be here on the 6th (ordered it yesterday), but I sure do hope it's sooner than that. Looking forward to it!

Glad you finally came to a decision
Let us know how you like it :)

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Considering the stories I'm hearing about the KitKat update bricking some Droid Ultra/Maxx's, it definitely sounds like the Moto X was a good choice!