Lenovo CEO says he can cut Motorola's losses in just a few quarters

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lenovo: We'll turn Moto profitable in a few quarters

I can't take a site called "Android Police" seriously....

...,"innovation" (seriously, most over-used term) .

Who would buy anything named after a fruit.
Let alone think they could do that which cannot be named.
:D

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lenovo CEO says he can cut Motorola's losses in just a few*quarters

..because Google didn't cut any Motorola employees either..

Posted via Android Central App

Very true, Motorola is a much smaller company since the Google purchase. But they still ran big losses, but Google could absorb them without much impact on their bottom line. Lenovo has to end the losses very fast.

I think they bought Motorola for the name, distribution and patent access.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Very true, Motorola is a much smaller company since the Google purchase. But they still ran big losses, but Google could absorb them without much impact on their bottom line. Lenovo has to end the losses very fast.

I think they bought Motorola for the name, distribution and patent access.

Remember, Lenovo is also buying IBM's x86 Server business.

WSJ: How will the two deals affect Lenovo’s finances?

Wong: We have $3 billion in cash at hand, and we have also raised $1.7 billion in loans. This means we have $4.7 billion in cash that we can use. And the cash portion of our payments for the two acquisitions will be about $2.7 billion. So even after we complete the deals, we will still have about $2 billion in cash. Given that we will also have cash flow from our operations, we can continue to fund our growth.

Shortly after the deal broke, it came out that supposedly Lenovo was an original suitor for Motorola before Google. Google only wanted the (mobile) patents but Motorola probably didn't want to split the company up. And Lenovo probably didn't want the set-top business.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Remember, Lenovo is also buying IBM's x86 Server business.

Yes that is why Lenovo needs to end the red in Motorola fast. They have already burned through a lot of cash with these two deals. My worry is they are going to look at their market share in China and Motorola's US market share and decide that their Lenovo team takes the lead.

BTW, being a hardware company tons of that cash is already committed to their suppliers. Also a 1.7 billion loan is debt and has to be serviced. A pure hardware company like Lenovo has a much different financial dynamic than a software company. 4.7 billion is not a lot of cash for a company the size of Lenovo. It's good if they stay out of the red.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Shortly after the deal broke, it came out that supposedly Lenovo was an original suitor for Motorola before Google. Google only wanted the (mobile) patents but Motorola probably didn't want to split the company up. And Lenovo probably didn't want the set-top business.
And as soon as Google bought Motorola, they split the company up.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Sidenote: I can't take a site called "Android Police" seriously.

What does their name have to do with how solid their journalism or credibility is? A professional sounding name doesn't guarantee professionalism. It's no worse than seeing the author in an article's photo looking like they woke up 2 minutes previous. But if I followed that way of thinking, I couldn't read any tech blog.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

What does their name have to do with how solid their journalism or credibility is? A professional sounding name doesn't guarantee professionalism. It's no worse than seeing the author in an article's photo looking like they woke up 2 minutes previous. But if I followed that way of thinking, I couldn't read any tech blog.

That's just my personal opinion about that specific site.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

You just said to not judge a book by the cover then you did.

AP is one of the best Android news site, there isn't any other ones that can talk about Android on a deep technical level like they do. Their comment sections is left to be desired though since it's the same experience as slashdot comnent section.

sent via tapatalk

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

You just said to not judge a book by the cover then you did.

AP is one of the best Android news site, there isn't any other ones that can talk about Android on a deep technical level like they do. Their comment sections is left to be desired though since it's the same experience as slashdot comnent section.

sent via tapatalk

I think you misunderstood my post. Ry was saying he had a hard time taking a site with a name like Android Police seriously. I was saying that a site's name isn't a marker for how credible they are or aren't. The comment about photos was illustrating that if I were someone who DID judge them by their appearance, which I don't, that I wouldn't be able to take any of them seriously. Just because they're not in a suit and tie, doesn't mean that what they say is any less valid than someone who is dressed that way. I wasn't judging a book by it's cover, I was illustrating what would happen if I did.

When my former boss was looking for new hires, he'd ding them if they had tattoos, piercings, or even facial hair, no matter how knowledgeable they were. Then he'd hire a clean cut guy who didn't have half the abilities or knowledge of the other guys, and it cost us. He was more worried about image than substance. But when you're working in a technical field, would you rather have a guy who has the right look but struggles with the job, or someone who does the job quicker and more importantly, does it right? That's where I was coming from. Sorry that I didn't make that more clear in the beginning.

Enrique2SIM

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

I find your post disheartening.
Lenovo has a history of saving IBM's brand; hopefully it will do the same with Motorola.
Nowhere have I seen any mention of Lenovo being a tech innovator.
That might be Moto's main contribution to the Lenovo brand.
I hope this is pursued or at least allowed.
The Moto-Google tryst had gallant offspring in the Moto X, G .
The future held great promise.
Alas.
Wasn't meant to be.
Hope Samsung is happy with their attack on competition.

Hello,

Those are facts that not many people is aware of. Lenovo is the fourth smartphones manufacturer worldwide and they are growing really fast. As long as they don't decrease the quality of Motorola devices people around the world will keep trusting in Motorola as brand.

Regards

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I haven't read the articles. Does anyone know the nature of the Moto patents that Google kept? Just wondering if that could affect the Lenovo design of the X follow-up.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read the articles. Does anyone know the nature of the Moto patents that Google kept? Just wondering if that could affect the Lenovo design of the X follow-up.

Lenovo has a licensing deal with the patents Google kept.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
What I see is Lenovo picking up Moto for three things:
1. Access to Motos standard essential patents and proprietary patents related to wireless radio technology.

2. Brand name. Regardless of sales, Moto is still a highly respected brand worldwide. This saves Lenovo time not having to build their own wireless brand.

3. Design and Research and Development. Moto is strong in both of these areas, where Lenovo is not. I expect to see the USA teams for both areas stay in place here.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I hate to break it to anyone, but moto as a company is dead. It has practically been dead sense Google bought them. Now with Lenovo, moto will just be a brand. A US only brand at that.

I will be interested to see what Lenovo actually targets as the problem with moto. My guess is profit margins on phones to be one. I imagine their marketing strategies to be another.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
1. Access to Motos standard essential patents and proprietary patents related to wireless radio technology.
For sure Motorola will have licenses to the necessary patents that Google now owns.

2. Brand name. Regardless of sales, Moto is still a highly respected brand worldwide. This saves Lenovo time not having to build their own wireless brand.
Very true.

3. Design and Research and Development. Moto is strong in both of these areas, where Lenovo is not. I expect to see the USA teams for both areas stay in place here.
Isn't Google keeping the research group?

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I hate to break it to anyone, but moto as a company is dead. It has practically been dead sense Google bought them. Now with Lenovo, moto will just be a brand. A US only brand at that. .
Possibly, but my Lenovo X is one heck of a daily driver for now and oh did I mention most of us are already on 4.4.2.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

As one who has, for a long time, favored Android in general and Motorola in particular, I always cringe a little when I see a link to almost anything posted by the Verge folks, but at least they include source links so I can get to the meat of the topic without their bias/spin.

In this case I hope folks will also go read these two articles:

Lenovo Projects End to Motorola Losses With China Phone - Bloomberg

Q&A: Lenovo CEO On How To Turn Around Motorola - Digits - WSJ

My take (hope) on the whole Lenova deal...they just might make it work *and * we might still see a better Moto X offspring!

In regards to the Woodside departure...expected with a purchase like this. I want to see if Punit Soni and his team are kept in place!

What's wrong with the verge ?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

What's wrong with the verge ?
Big corp, just like other sites like Engadget, they get money from companies who wants them to promote their products, it's all down the marketing. Google is dumb to always give them first dip exclusive hand on for their Nexus devices, they don't have enough passion and insight on subject to give any decent reviews or analysis.

This video pretty much sums up integrity of Verge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWD6O53F6yc

They previously made a video for the N4 and N10 when they went to Google and talked to the engineers, it was the same uninformed and sarcastic tone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Big corp, just like other sites like Engadget, they get money from companies who wants them to promote their products, it's all down the marketing. Google is dumb to always give them first dip exclusive hand on for their Nexus devices, they don't have enough passion and insight on subject to give any decent reviews or analysis.

And do have any proof of this pay scheme?

This video pretty much sums up integrity of Verge:
Nexus 5 hands-on - YouTube

I didn't see anything wrong with that video. Care to share any specific points?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I didn't see anything wrong with that video. Care to share any specific points?
Go to the youtube page of the video and look at the dislikes bar and comments. I give them props for not taking down the video though.

If you pay attention to everything he said and his tone of voice, it's very easily to deduce he's an iPhone fanboy, he automatically assume Android have bad camera, bad build quality, laggy and of course too massive.

And do have any proof of this pay scheme?
I think this is obvious enough. I would think that if a person don't know this they may as well made very poor choices for many purchases. Companies send in devices to be review, obviously they want you to give a positive reviews. Even YouTube reviewers thanks companies that sent them the product for review. If you notice MobileTechReview, Lisa never outright give products negative review, she's very careful in her wording, not to say she isn't a good reviewer. Obviously if I use my own money to pay for a device, then review it, it may be less biased. This is the same with video game review sites like IGN who have full site ads space for big budget games and then giving them good reviews (ie. Mass Effects 3).

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty