Sony Phones

laddie79

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just a little research really.

Sony really seem to be making a push with their phones recently and they are catching my eye however previous bad experience puts me off:

I had the k850i (old i know) and the Xperia X10 and both of them suffered so so so soooo badly with bugs that I switched my X10 to hTC Desire after 2 weeks as I got fed up of being told to do factory resets. I know these are both old phones but the problems I had were so irritating that it still really puts me off buying a Sony handset. My friend recently had one of the latest Xperia's in the range and his kept freezing and re-booting itself so he got rid for an S4. I know of quite a few people that have had similar problems.

I am due to change phones again soon, now on an S3 with no problems and am tempted to stick with Samsung however, if the S5 fails to do anything highly innovative I'd be more than open to move to HTC/Sony or LG....

My big question is - what are people's experiences with the new range of Sony phones? Are they still a pain in the ****?! :-\

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
i've never actually owned a Sony phone, I've always wanted to, but then companies like Samsung, Google, even Apple have gotten my vote in previous years. I tend to change phones every few months, but I plan on sticking with my Nexus 5 until my contract is due a renewal in October. That way I will have the pick of the bunch, the Z2 doesnt look any different from the original Xperia Z - I prefer a phone to look different from the previous model so I feel as if I have the newest and latest handset.

laddie79

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I get what you mean Kevin, and the fact is, my S3 has been absolutely fine for the last 19 months, that's why I wouldn't want to move to a buggy Sony. I'm sure the S5 will offer slightly different specs to the S4 and if it meets my price, I'll consider it, but at the same time I'm a bit fed up of Samsung plastic so I'll see if that changes with the S5.

Just interesting to hear people's experiences as without anyone telling me any different, I would avoid a Sony like the plague - -- but that;s based only on past experience, and it could be completely different now.. Don't want to take a gamble on something as expensive as a phone that you're stuck with for 2 years (I'm in the UK).

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I get what you mean Kevin, and the fact is, my S3 has been absolutely fine for the last 19 months, that's why I wouldn't want to move to a buggy Sony. I'm sure the S5 will offer slightly different specs to the S4 and if it meets my price, I'll consider it, but at the same time I'm a bit fed up of Samsung plastic so I'll see if that changes with the S5.

Just interesting to hear people's experiences as without anyone telling me any different, I would avoid a Sony like the plague - -- but that;s based only on past experience, and it could be completely different now.. Don't want to take a gamble on something as expensive as a phone that you're stuck with for 2 years (I'm in the UK).

I'm also from the UK - Scotland and I feel the same way, no matter what Samsung do to the S5, if it doesnt look different to the S4 or S3 then I wont get it, same applies to the Z2, it looks like a slab lol. I have the Nexus 5 and I feel as if I'm constantly selling this phone to ppl but honestly is a great phone. So fast, smooth and it feels and looks good. I might wait for the note 4 to come out. I had a Note 2 last year and loved the novelty of it being huge :)

laddie79

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I would also be tempted with the Nexus 5 to be honest - - the S5 was fairly underwhelming but I think it will still be a very, very good top-end phone. I would consider the Z2 just don't want to end up with another buggy annoying-as-hell phone for 2 years. Plus there's no removable battery...