Oppo shutting down background APPs despite settings

jagwap

Feb 20, 2024
Visit site
I have a new Oppo Find N3 Open, global ROM. It keeps shutting down APPs running in the background, particularly my Astrill VPN APP. I have turned off all the battery saving and optimisation I can find in the settings. Including VPN always on.

How can I make this run all the time when I want to?

(I had the same problem with my previous China ROM Sony, shutting down VPN and audio playing APPs. It turned out to be an addictional APP Sony added to save battery for the China market. Perhaps Oppo does something similar?)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Bring up the App Overview and see if there's an option to pin the Astrill VPN app.

It's possible that there's nothing else you can do, because some manufacturers (typically Chinese ones) are unfortunately really aggressive about killing apps in the background. I used to have a TCL Tab 8 that wouldn't even allow music apps like YouTube Music or Spotify to play in the background -- as soon as I switched to something else in the foreground, those music apps would simply stop playing.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
A long shot but, if you have Developer options enabled, check that "Don't keep activities" is not enabled and that "Background process limit" isn't set to a low number.

Reactions: B. Diddy

jagwap

Feb 20, 2024
Visit site
A long shot but, if you have Developer options enabled, check that "Don't keep activities" is not enabled and that "Background process limit" isn't set to a low number.
Thanks.

I looked at this and the only options are "standard" and 0 to 4 background process limit. Not many. 4 makes it worse it seems. So standard is likely more