The next 40 phones projected to be released

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
PDAdb.net is projecting that 40 new phones will be released in the next 6 months. The listing is simplified into an xls spreadsheet in the zip attachment with 32 key facts about each including Dates, screen sizes, carriers, memory, GHz, etc.

Note that these are expected and rumored specs but this site is amazingly accurate in their information. It is often based on the chip orders from OEM's and sometimes press releases.

Android dominates expected new phone introductions with 20 out of 40 expected phones. Windows, led by Windows Mobile 7 is next with 11. Nokia still has a good presence with 6 phones. BlackBerry is expected to release 2 phones and Apple is expected to finally release the long-awaited Verizon iPhone 4.

HTC, Samsung, Dell, and Nokia are expected to lead the way for manufacturers with at least 6 phones each. Archos, LG, and Motorola each should have at least 2 new offering in the next six months as well.

We know that display sizes are on the rise and the road ahead keeps pointing towards bigger screens. Clock speeds seem to be continuing on a pace to double speeds every 18 months or shorter. We know that chip makers are sampling CPU's at 1.2, 15. and 2.0 GHz. Dual Cores and even Quad Cores are rumored.

If you still like the feel of a real physical keyboard, you are in luck. 11 of these 40 up-comers are expected to have built-in keyboards.

The driving feature in the market over the next year is expected to be HD and cameras. So we can expect higher resolution and nearly universal auto focus and digital zoom. Optical zoom is not expected on any of these models near-term. This is trend is driving carriers towards higher-bandwidth 4G and LTE networks. As many as 10 of these phones may be 4G or LTE enabled.

The one thing we know for sure is that the next 6 months look to be a very exciting time.

Summary of New Phone Models Expected Through March 2011

By OS
20 Android
11 Windows
6 Symbian/Nokia
2 BlackBerry
1 Apple iOS

By Manufacturer
8 HTC
7 Samsung
6 Dell
6 Nokia
3 Archos
2 LG
2 Motorola
2 BlackBerry
1 Apple iPhone (for Verizon 3/11)

Average Screen Size
4.02"

Average CPU Clock Speed
896 MHz

Average Camera
5.03 MP

36 Autofocus - 4 Non-Autofocus

36 Digital Zoom - 4 Non-Zoom

12 Front and back cameras

Keyboards
7 Slider Keyboard
4 Non-moving Keyboard
29 Virtual keyboard

- Craig

Reactions: KB3MMX

ebrown126

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Nice update.

Is absolutely in line from what the Vz rep told me a few days ago. I posted in here, Vz rumor alert, the new phones that he has actually seen and has on his desk.

One was a Samsung with 2ghz of power.

The other interesting thing he told me was the old Apple iphone rumor. He said that he believes its coming april 2011 and that their CEO is giving a major Keynote speech at an event this upcoming January.

Also he mentioned an HTC phone called the Velocity. It has a keyboard but only a 800 mghz chip. Sounds just like the phone BGR broke today. I'm really interested to see if the other three rumors come true.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
...Also he mentioned an HTC phone called the Velocity. It has a keyboard but only a 800 mghz chip. Sounds just like the phone BGR broke today. I'm really interested to see if the other three rumors come true.
In the past they developed phones for the top and then let them trickle down to the garage sale aisle.

Now they are developing different phones specifically for the High, Mid, and Low markets as well as the pre-paid market.

Note that this is 20 Android phones in the next 6 months that we know of. That's a rate of 40 a year.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Prospects aren't looking good for me to get rid of this d2 may have to wait for an lte phone to drop
I think that the LTE phone announcements from Verizon may be coming in January at CES. I am also betting that the first and only LTE phone for a while will be the iPhone due in the spring.

That would give Steve Jobs the bang he would be looking for.

- Craig

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Having the iPhone come to Verizon and have it be the first LTE phone is a sure fire way for Verizon to overload their LTE network. I bet we will see Android LTE phones before any LTE iPhone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
From the way Verizon's CEO has been talking lately he isn't expecting it soon, or doesn't care or is quietly begging to get it. I got it because as a MAC user its easier to sync with an iPhone, but I will gladly trade back to the Droid world with 3.0 and cloud based syncing options.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little confused. I thought that the HTC Desire HD was going to be CDMA, this chart however states that it is going to be GSM. Thoughts?

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Going back out to pdadb to see what else to add to the list of The next 40 phones that will be released. A matter of days ago there were 22 new Androids coming out that were not yet released.

I used the filter to just say new Androids.

There are another 12 new Android on the list in addition to the additional 10 we got articles on this week.

So know about 44 new Android phones coming in the next 6 months. And if they are true to form at least 30 more will get added in the mean time.

So maybe 70 Androids will come out in the next 6 months?

Why are they announcing so many of them now?

Christmas.

They have to get them in the retail channels by the end of October or the middle of November at the latest if they want to make the Black Friday sales.

Also bear in mind that these maybe 70 new Androids that are coming are for all 6 major carriers in the US plus carriers in other parts of the world so it is probably only 5 per carrier.

Motorola, HTC, and Samsung will have new phones for each carrier with different new models for the High, Mid, and Low end markets, plus pre-paid.

100,000 new Android were being activated each day in May. 160,000 a day in June and 200,000 a day in August. We don't know the current number but August run rates put it at 73 million a year.

If each new phone averages 1 million in sales and has a shelf-life of 9 months, you need to be releasing nearly a dozen new models a month.

That is what they are doing.

Phones in every size and style, just like shoes.

The Model T days of "One Size Fits All!" are gone. All except for Apple who will be left with the Mini Cooper niche pretty much all to themselves.

- Craig