Do You Miss Smaller Phones?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The Z compact is 4.3 and interested me highly. I am just too invested in the Apple ecosystem to get out.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Z1 Compact is a nice phone. You can always get out of an ecosystem it's a matter of how much do you really want to get out?

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't want a phone with a screen larger then a 5" max.I also don't want a large bezel .That's why the Moto X worked out so well for me.
I was using an S3 before getting the MX as my main phone and can tell a difference how the MX feels carrying it in my hand though.The S3 screen size of 4.8 " was't that much bigger then the Moto X screen size of 4.7".But the frame size of S3 (5.39" x 2.8")compared to frame size of MX (5.09" x 2.57") makes all the difference to me. That being said I wouldn't want a phone with a screen size of 3.7 " either.
I understand why some people like large screen phones , they are just not for me.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I came from an iphone 5 to my Moto X. I absolutely love the 4.7 inch screen. Absolute perfect size. I don't mind the 5 inch screens either. But for me, the Note's screen is just too big for my daily driver. I could see playing games and watching movies being awesome on it though. But I'm content with my Moto X. :)

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I love the size of the samsung s3 that was perfect size phone,

but i don't think i could ever go back to a smaller screen since i do everything on my phone nowadays.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't miss small phones. But I do agree that phones can get too big. I have a 5 inch screen now (Droid Ultra) and I find it perfect. I made a trip to the local Verizon store after the new Droids and the Moto X first came out to look at them. Before I did this I was sold on the Moto X and was sure that was what I would get as soon as I was able. However, after handling the phones I was shocked that I really preferred the Ultra (weird compared to everyone else, I know) but that bigger screen got me. I kept trying to convince myself that surely I should like the Moto X better and stayed there a while going back and forth, but my heart was with the bigger screen. (I would have gone with the Maxx, but at the time the Maxx was $299.00 on contract and I could get an employee edition Ultra for $99.00. $200 savings for me and I got my husband the Maxx later when the price came down to $199.)
Anyway, I don't miss smaller phones at all. I think the 4.7 of the Moto X is the smallest I would even consider going, but probably wouldn't want anything bigger than 5 or maybe 5.1 inches either. Easier typing and viewing more than make up for needing two hands sometimes. And while in the car calls and texts are voice controlled automatically with Assist. Love that!

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I love the size of the samsung s3 that was perfect size phone,

but i don't think i could ever go back to a smaller screen since i do everything on my phone nowadays.

I do too, but I love a phone that fits in the hand and in my pockets easily.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't miss small phones. But I do agree that phones can get too big. I have a 5 inch screen now (Droid Ultra) and I find it perfect. I made a trip to the local Verizon store after the new Droids and the Moto X first came out to look at them. Before I did this I was sold on the Moto X and was sure that was what I would get as soon as I was able. However, after handling the phones I was shocked that I really preferred the Ultra (weird compared to everyone else, I know) but that bigger screen got me. I kept trying to convince myself that surely I should like the Moto X better and stayed there a while going back and forth, but my heart was with the bigger screen. (I would have gone with the Maxx, but at the time the Maxx was $299.00 on contract and I could get an employee edition Ultra for $99.00. $200 savings for me and I got my husband the Maxx later when the price came down to $199.)
Anyway, I don't miss smaller phones at all. I think the 4.7 of the Moto X is the smallest I would even consider going, but probably wouldn't want anything bigger than 5 or maybe 5.1 inches either. Easier typing and viewing more than make up for needing two hands sometimes. And while in the car calls and texts are voice controlled automatically with Assist. Love that!

While I agree bigger phones are useful. I have to remember a phone has to go in my pockets, which aren`t that large. I feel devices should accommodate you, and not me buying more khakis and cargo pants to fit a 1520, or One Max, or a Note 3.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
While I agree bigger phones are useful. I have to remember a phone has to go in my pockets, which aren`t that large. I feel devices should accommodate you, and not me buying more khakis and cargo pants to fit a 1520, or One Max, or a Note 3.

I am wearing slim fit jeans now and my note 3 fits for the most part

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am wearing slim fit jeans now and my note 3 fits for the most part

It might fit in my pocket but it won't go unnoticed because it is so large.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It might fit in my pocket but it won't go unnoticed because it is so large.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah, my note 3 fits inside my pocket but it peeks out.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
With my Moto X broken, I have been relegated back to my Droid RAZR M and I can't help but miss the the Ms small size, and when compared to the Moto X they are close in size. But I got to thinking about how phones across all Operating Systems (iOS excluded for now) are getting larger, M8 is tall, the Lumia 1520 is huge, and the Z30 is quite big. But do you guys miss how phones had screens that were less than 5 inches?

Nope, not at all, from the day I got my 1st colour screen phone (Nokia 3510i) I have wanted a bigger and bigger display on my phone.

When the 1st Androids arrived I sat and waited, watched the HTC Dream, HTC Magic, HTC Hero, Samsung Galaxy (before the S) etc.. come and go, the Motorola Milestone (Moto Droid in the USA) arrived with a 3.7inch, I continued to wait and BOOM, the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 arrived with a at that time huge 4.0inch WVGA display and I snapped it up immedietly. The GS2 then came the next year with 4.3inch, I jumped on it. Then the Note range arrived but I wasn't ready for such a leap, so the next year I got a GS3 with 4.8inch, and year after that GS4 with 5.0inch, but after seeing and using the Note 3, I am now ready to make another major leap, and will be jumping on the Note 4, heading toward 6inch.

The bigger these displays get, the more I do on my Smartphone, with my GS4 I've begun watching a lot of Movies and Series, and I have saved some of them solely for when I get my next phone (Note 4), to enjoy them on a huge +5.7inch 2K display, can't wait! :D

The Sony Xperia Z Ultra is probably what I'll consider too far.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, my note 3 fits inside my pocket but it peeks out.

With me it would probably be halfway falling out, or worse I would have to put it in my back pocket. (I`m short btw).

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Nope, not at all, from the day I got my 1st colour screen phone (Nokia 3510i) I have wanted a bigger and bigger display on my phone.

When the 1st Androids arrived I sat and waited, watched the HTC Dream, HTC Magic, HTC Hero, Samsung Galaxy (before the S) etc.. come and go, the Motorola Milestone (Moto Droid in the USA) arrived with a 3.7inch, I continued to wait and BOOM, the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 arrived with a at that time huge 4.0inch WVGA display and I snapped it up immedietly. The GS2 then came the next year with 4.3inch, I jumped on it. Then the Note range arrived but I wasn't ready for such a leap, so the next year I got a GS3 with 4.8inch, and year after that GS4 with 5.0inch, but after seeing and using the Note 3, I am now ready to make another major leap, and will be jumping on the Note 4, heading toward 6inch.

The bigger these displays get, the more I do on my Smartphone, with my GS4 I've begun watching a lot of Movies and Series, and I have saved some of them solely for when I get my next phone (Note 4), to enjoy them on a huge +5.7inch 2K display, can't wait! :D

The Sony Xperia Z Ultra is probably what I'll consider too far.

For me that`s too many pixels on a small tablet. But different strokes for different folks.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
To be honest sometimes I do! However I have huge hands. But every now and then I will bust out my old Palm Pre just to play with it! I really miss WebOS more than small devices at the end of the day. RIP Palm! Damn HP bastards!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I was zigzagging on the pavement/sidewalk again yesterday, avoiding people scrolling, reading and texting on their phones.
I don't like to walk and browse, though I do on the rare occasion.

So I was wondering what is the ideal size when out and about. Possibly around 5" or the Moto X, which I like, at 4.7".

I came from a 3" P910i to a 4.3" GS2 to a Note 3.

The GS2 I would only use when I absolutely had to. I would never sit and enjoy it.

The Note 3 I use way too much as I can browse apps like AC for hours. But while I think it could be even bigger most of the time, in the street or walking in parks it's a little too big with one hand and a thumb.
It's also affecting my health and fitness, as I stop to sit down and read during a long relaxing walk, which I never did.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I was zigzagging on the pavement/sidewalk again yesterday, avoiding people scrolling, reading and texting on their phones.
I don't like to walk and browse, though I do on the rare occasion.

So I was wondering what is the ideal size when out and about. Possibly around 5" or the Moto X, which I like, at 4.7".

I came from a 3" P910i to a 4.3" GS2 to a Note 3.

The GS2 I would only use when I absolutely had to. I would never sit and enjoy it.

The Note 3 I use way too much as I can browse apps like AC for hours. But while I think it could be even bigger most of the time, in the street or walking in parks it's a little too big with one hand and a thumb.
It's also affecting my health and fitness, as I stop to sit down and read during a long relaxing walk, which I never did.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Any device smaller than 5 inches. Over that and the is too big and will distract you.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Ever since attempting to use the Note 3 as a phone, I realized I can't. I've had to put it in tablet status and go with smaller devices for daily drivers.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
No. Not ever. No. I love the Note 3, size and all. Fits in my clutch, I wouldn't consider putting my phone in a pants pocket. Smaller phones are cute, but not functional for me. But that's the joy and bliss of consumer choice. Buy what you love and want, not what someone else thinks you should buy. Looking forward to the Note 4!

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3