Why are Android phones made of plastic?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Let's keep in mind that build materials do not equal build quality. I would gladly take an aluminum engine built by Audi over a Titanium engine built by Daewoo.
Regarding plastics, there are polymers that rival many metals for heat tolerance, and strength. Now, granted, these polymers probably aren't on a cell phone.
But then again, I would also take a phone that has a carbon fiber backing over one made of aluminum.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung does have pretty crappy build quality. Plastic phones can be good though, Moto X is great for instance and the entire Lumia series... Amazing.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I too had envied the higher end appearing metal phones but actually more prefer Samsung's design. I have a Note 3 and like that I can change the back to any material I want. I chose a carbon fiber. I could choose a brushed metal back but metal interferes with wireless charging and nfc. Also I don't like the cold sensation of metal. Also when I had a metal frame when I dropped it it would create quite a divot in what it hit. But the replaceable back gives me the option of choosing whatever material I like.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another thought--many people tout the high quality glass and metal materials of the iPhone, and then slap an ugly case on it. So in those instances, it seems kind of pointless.;)

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Another thought--many people tout the high quality glass and metal materials of the iPhone, and then slap an ugly case on it. So in those instances, it seems kind of pointless.;)

For carrying the phone and to protect it, that's ok (but I prefer to use my phone naked). That doesn't mean that the phone should use cheap materials...

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I too had envied the higher end appearing metal phones but actually more prefer Samsung's design. I have a Note 3 and like that I can change the back to any material I want. I chose a carbon fiber. I could choose a brushed metal back but metal interferes with wireless charging and nfc. Also I don't like the cold sensation of metal. Also when I had a metal frame when I dropped it it would create quite a divot in what it hit. But the replaceable back gives me the option of choosing whatever material I like.

I don't want to start a war, but when I hear the words Samsung and design in the same sentence, I feel weird and want to laugh. I am sorry, but there are so many other phones out there that have a good design, and Samsung is not one of them...Of course, everything is subjective and everybody can believe whatever he/she wants.
I don't think you will find many people though that like Samsung's designs..

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to start a war, but when I hear the words Samsung and design in the same sentence, I feel weird and want to laugh. I am sorry, but there are so many other phones out there that have a good design, and Samsung is not one of them...Of course, everything is subjective and everybody can believe whatever he/she wants.

I think that last statement is wrong as many still buy Samsung products and the S5 is selling. I do see that and now Samsung are beginning to, that the demand for that premium build and look is required.

The Nokia series proves that polycarbonate can be made to feel premium, but Samsung was working to the ethos of keep it light & keep the removable battery.

Things will have to be changed and whether that is moving away from plastic and onto glass or metal or just implementing plastic better. They could look to other materials such as carbon fiber ect.

I have enjoyed Samsung products and have never felt let down in terms of build, plastic has its pro's and Cons, same as premium Glass & metal.

It's really difficult to strike that fine balance and that is mainly due to the human nature of we all like different things.

Since I received my Xperia Z2 I most certainly feel that I have a product that time and thought went into it. This phone feels premium and makes you feel that paying a high price is worth it. Where Samsung and others leave you feeling in terms of build perhaps a bit let down.

It's a very open debate and neither is right or wrong.

Some like plastic others don't, some like metal and glass whilst others don't.

I personally like both, but do now feel it's time for companies to try and strike a balance.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree materials is subjective. There are Android phones made of plastic and metal. I prefer plastic as it is more durable. Metal can scratch and be scuffed. Glass breaks easily. Plastic is an all around better choice.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

For me design starts with functionality and that means removable battery and wireless charging. I keep phone in case anyway so other considerations are secondary. Seems to be working because Samsung outsells by a wide margin all other manufactures with other so called "premium designs".

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't this exact same pot stirred on the other Android forum site? Move on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For me, anyone that pulls the "B-B-B-But metal!" argument as the main reason why phone A is better than phone B is wasting their breath. Using aluminum cases is an aesthetic design choice that give zero functional improvement.... in fact, it REMOVES functionality as it precludes the ability to do wireless charging (not to mention making it extremely hard to design it to allow for removable batteries). It serves only one purpose; to look nice.

So any maker that is putting out a metal-cased phone is spending a significant portion of their manufacturing costs to milling and fabricating a metal case.... that is a tremendous waste..... Exactly how does that make the phone superior again? Sacrificing functionality and features and inflating price just so people can show off how awesome they are with their shiny metal phone?

I have a Nexus 5... plastic case.... never once thought it felt cheap.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For carrying the phone and to protect it, that's ok (but I prefer to use my phone naked). That doesn't mean that the phone should use cheap materials...

Don't think he is using that as an excuse for cheaper materials it is just a lot of people rave about how well built the iPhone is... Then slap.. Wait for it... A plastic case on it :p.

Not all but some do. I do like the M8 quality.. It is a really nice phone but I have no issue with my Note 3 (I keep my Note naked).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Note2 for 1.5 years and the back cover has 2 separate spider cracks developing. I don't have a case so I'm pretty impressed that it made it this far in good condition. However a metal body would be great; the plastic body coupled with the rounded corners and edges make it a pretty slippery phone. It'd be nice if they used an aluminum like the Apple Macbook pro's

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
For me, anyone that pulls the "B-B-B-But metal!" argument as the main reason why phone A is better than phone B is wasting their breath. Using aluminum cases is an aesthetic design choice that give zero functional improvement.... in fact, it REMOVES functionality as it precludes the ability to do wireless charging (not to mention making it extremely hard to design it to allow for removable batteries). It serves only one purpose; to look nice.

So any maker that is putting out a metal-cased phone is spending a significant portion of their manufacturing costs to milling and fabricating a metal case.... that is a tremendous waste..... Exactly how does that make the phone superior again? Sacrificing functionality and features and inflating price just so people can show off how awesome they are with their shiny metal phone?

I have a Nexus 5... plastic case.... never once thought it felt cheap.

I totally disagree with your arguments.
Using things should cause us feelings. We are humans, so not everything has to be utilitarian..
What is wrong with Phones that look great? Why is that a problem? With this logic women should never wear make up, because that makes them beautiful..
I want to touch a device and feel that it is like a jewelry. Only two phones give me this feeling at the moment: The iPhone and the M8

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I want to touch a device and feel that it is like a jewelry. Only two phones give me this feeling at the moment: The iPhone and the M8

Well that's why we have choices. For some people like you, this issue is important. For others, it isn't.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Using things should cause us feelings. We are humans, so not everything has to be utilitarian..
What is wrong with Phones that look great? Why is that a problem? With this logic women should never wear make up, because that makes them beautiful..

I think as with anything there are trade-offs we all have priorities. If I could get a metal premium appearing phone that still had a removable battery and wireless charging that would be great. And if we can nit-pick one that doesn't feel cold (gave my son my MacBook Air because couldn't stand wrists resting on cold aluminum palm rest / case). If I could design my own phone I'd have a black anodized brushed aluminum frame with O-ring like rubber bands on the sides where the frame comes in contact with your skin and a removable carbon fiber back.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I don't think phones and women should be compared >_>

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Then that works for you, which is perfectly fine.

But my phone isn't a piece of jewelry... it is a mobile device has utility. I use it to make calls, check my email, read forums, keep up to date on news, get traffic reports, play some games if I have to wait when I pick up my daughter at dance class, take pictures, videos, listen to music while I do yardwork. I don't sit there and hold it in my hands and call it 'My Precious'... I use it. Does it impress anyone? I have no f's to give if it does, and besides, it's still better than 99% of the phones out there so I don't need external validation.

Not that my Nexus 5 isn't a looker, I got the smartphone version of James Bond in a simple black tux. But I've since put it in a Ringke Fusion case to keep it from getting trashed, so it's a moot point. I've looked at and held iPhone 5s's, and M7s, and M8s... none of them overly impressed me with their look or build... sure, they were nice. But certainly no 'wow' factor from me, that's for sure. If anything, I found both the M8 to be a little too slippery.... as slippery as my old SIII (which I ended up buying a case for because it was a slick little sucker).

So I apologize if someone if I chuckle a little if someone tries to tell me their X phone is better than mine because they slapped it inside some aluminum.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Also, that comparison is false. 100% of Apple's 17% are top-end because that's all they make.

Actually not true, Apples marketshare includes all their phones in use...if metal = "top-end", early iphones were plastic, as are the current 5c's