My analysis of audio output through headphones for S5 vs M8 vs 5S

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
So I went to a local verizon store to test the audio output of the Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, and the iPhone 5S. The reason I did this is because I am wanting to get a new smartphone and have been leaning towards the S5, but wanted to compare the audio output of the S5 with the M8 and decided to check out the iPhone 5S as well even though I don't plan to get an iPhone. I currently have an HTC ReZound, so I compared all these phones with mine too.

I tested the phones through a brief listening of different parts of two different heavy metal songs using my beats in-ear phones that came with my HTC rezound. The two songs I listened to were "Anubis Gate - Never Been Like This" and "Textures - Millstone". I used both the web browser youtube.com and the youtube app to hear the music through the official band videos. Now this test isn't a thoroughly researched test. It's just a brief test. Perhaps your listening experience will be different than mine.

From my results, the iPhone 5S sounds the best. It has clear sound, good midrange, and good low end response. Next best was the Galaxy S5. The sound was clear, good midrange, and decent low end and overall sound. The S5 sounded thin compared to the iPhone 5S, but it still had a good sound. The third best was the M8. The sound was muffled and there wasn't much of a midrange. There was good low end response, which was better than all the phones above, but perhaps the low end overpowered the rest of the frequency range. I tried two different m8's and it was the same sound. Now my HTC Rezound sounds awesome compared to all the phones. The iPhone is probably a little better sounding than my rezound, but my rezound sounds better than both the S5 and the m8.

So those are my findings. What do you all think? Have you all done any testing?

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Just an update to the thread. I didn't realize there was an option to turn off boomsound on the m8 which was the cause of an issue I stated above. After turning boomsound off, the sound was more leveled out than before and better sounding imo. I may try to test again to see how it compares to the other phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress