app updates domain

delgriffith

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello, this should be an easy question but I can't seem to find the answer after a few web searches. I'm trying to prevent people's phones from connecting to my wifi hotspot and proceeding to download 100mb of updates, at the same time allowing them to connect for general browsing. I'm wondering if app updates primarily come from play.google.com or another place as I can block domains on my router. Also wondering about where Iphone apps update from but I realize this isn't the place to ask. If the updates are coming from all over the place then it's probably not practical, but a few domains are easy enough to block.

Thanks!
D

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello, this should be an easy question but I can't seem to find the answer after a few web searches. I'm trying to prevent people's phones from connecting to my wifi hotspot and proceeding to download 100mb of updates, at the same time allowing them to connect for general browsing. I'm wondering if app updates primarily come from play.google.com or another place as I can block domains on my router. Also wondering about where Iphone apps update from but I realize this isn't the place to ask. If the updates are coming from all over the place then it's probably not practical, but a few domains are easy enough to block.

Thanks!
D

Well, could you please elaborate a bit more I am getting which device you are trying to configure are you trying to configure your mobile hotspot or you want your router to be configured in such a way to ......... !! If you are trying to configure your mobile WiFi Hotspot then try using application "Mobile HotSpot" available in the PlayStore using it you can fix the fix the quota of the users connected to your HotSpot.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Simple, put a password on it and don't give it out.

If you're talking about people that you're allowing access to, that's another story. You could do like the other poster suggested and get an app that will allow you to set quotas. You could also ask them to hand you their phone to configure the hotspot then go in and turn off their automatic updates in the GPS (Android) or in the iTunes/App Store settings (iOS). Unfortunately, it's something that has to be done as most devices will see the WiFi connection and start auto-update if set to update automatically on WiFi.

delgriffith

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The router is a cradlepoint 4G, mounted in a shuttle van. So not an android device at all. In the router admin pages I can tell it to block connections to say play.google.com but I don't know if the Facebook app updates from there or from facebook.com, for instance. I would prefer to not block facebook.com, but I wouldn't feel bad about blocking play.google.com so that people have to get their apps and app updates on their own. It's not a practical solution if the updates come from each app's own servers (facebook, amazon, kayak.com etc), and unfortunately it's not going to be practical to ask people to give the phones to our driver to mess with them.

Oh and the whole idea is to allow riders wifi access, so blocking them kinda defeats the purpose of the router.

delgriffith

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Answering my own post for others that might be looking. I blocked a few google domains including play.google.com, www3.l.google.com and some ip addresses that resolve to play.google.com however nothing seemed to stop app downloads and updates. I found something about the play store utilizing port 5228 for downloads and so I blocked access to that port and that seemed to do the trick. Still can't figure out why I can still browse the app store when the domain is blocked, but this accomplished what I needed which was to stop data guzzling due to automatic updates. Blocking apple.com stopped iPhone updates and downloads so that was pretty straightforward.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana