LG G3 or Galaxy S5?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Since you're this close, why not wait for the release of the new iPhone 6, and the Note 4? I'm kind of in the same boat as you, but I want to wait and see how the new phone(s) from Apple look and feel.

I just got the G3 for my wife a few days ago, and I'll be honest, the thing is just beautiful. It's still on my list as possibilities too, once I'm ready for my new driver. I haven't noticed any lag to speak of with hers, even when it was downloading all her old apps onto the new G3, it was still super snappy and responsive. And the bezels....oh my God, the bezels are just fantastic. Really goes a long way in helping the phone not feel as big as it is, with that 5.5" screen.

Yeah, maybe I'll wait and see what the new iphone looks like. But one of the appeals of android was that it's more open, meaning I can be more service agnostic or have more choices with it over iOS. But iOS has opened up a lot more with iOS 8

Netfuel

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, maybe I'll wait and see what the new iphone looks like. But one of the appeals of android was that it's more open, meaning I can be more service agnostic or have more choices with it over iOS. But iOS has opened up a lot more with iOS 8

iOS 8 will definitely have some work to do for me to leave Android as well.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
iOS 8 will definitely have some work to do for me to leave Android as well.

The thing with android wasn't that I want to root or anything, I just don't have a desire to do that. It had more to do with the fact that since I use my phone mainly as a personal computing device I'd like something that I can easily move fiaea and information around. Also switch out some things I might not like such as keyboards and launchers. However I still want the device the be stable and run smooth, which can be a issue with android sometimes compared to iOS.

And one thing that frustrates me is that there doaent seem to be a android handset that perfect to me. With the S5 I get waterprrofing, a removable battery_ and a large ecosyestem of accessories, but it only get 16gbs of onboard storage, touchwiz is bloated still, and its made of cheap plastic. With the LGG3, I get a removable battery, a impressivley large screen in a not too large body, and 32gBs of storage. However, apparently it lags in areas due to its high res screen, the LG software still isn't he best_ and the contrast seems a bit washed out. With the HTC ONE M8 I get probably the best built android handset from a design standpoint, 32gbs of storage, probably the best non stock UI on android, and great performance. However, it hads a lackluster camera,, may be too big for comfort, is slippery to hold, and I have No clue if HTC is even going to be in business two years from now due to their dire financials.

Really, its frustrating.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I love my Galaxy S5, it is a great phone
I suggest maybe installing a different launcher to replace TouchWiz if you don't like it

I tried the M8, and I didn't really like it too much, but the LG G3 did seem nice.

With the things you brought up on the S5, the 16 gb of storage isn't too bad considering you can add up to 128 GB of SD card storage
And about Samsung moving away from android and heading to Tizen (it's own operating system), if it ever does happen, it will happen in a while and it wouldn't affect the S5.

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I would not worry too much about HTC being around in 2 years.. They are a pretty solid company.

Your 2 issues with the m8 the camera and the slippery case. Both can be taken care of with a little bit of time and effort.

Go on the htc m8 forum and look at the pictures this phone can actually take. There is a dedicated thread about it. For casual shooting it works great. You just have to take the time to learn more about the camera. The slippery case is using it bare, add a full body protector on it issue solve, or just use a regular type case and issues are gone.

I've seen folks obsess over these 2 things and they don't need to.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't dream of spending $600 dollars on a phone and not protect it from getting scratched up nor would I ever expect a cell phone camera to take the place of a dedicated camera if I was getting into photography. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. Sure it is nice to have a great snap and shoot camera in the phone, but there is so much more for photography than that. I have a $75 point and shoot camera that is better than any cell phone camera on the market including the Nokia 1020 which my wife just traded for a m7.

Basically what I am saying is if photography is a main attraction get a dedicated camera and sync it with your phone.. because you can get a lot better camera than any cell phone.

One other thing, even though you most likely won't utilize, is if you want to htc offers a easy way to unlock your phone to be able to root it. Not that you ever will, but it's available for you to decide not the manufacturer. That is free choice...

That said.... If you want the best solution for taking cell phone pictures available, look into the Sony z3. They have a full line of external lenses available for it. Top of the line lenses. Just a suggestion for you if you weren't confused enough already.... Lol

Posted via Android Central App from my HTC M8

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
For a bleeding edge mobile computer, I'd wait a few months for the Note 4 and Nexus 6 news. I can't wait to see how they handle QHD. It's all speculation and more waiting.

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Don't get the Galaxy S5. I tried so hard to ignore the haters when I got my Note 3 but I have to admit TouchWiz just sucks and that's the whole thing that ties the phone together.
I think the LG G3 looks to be the best Android phone the market right now. Spec wise it's packed to the teeth, and the design of it also looks very nice. It also has arguably one of the best camera's on the market. If I were getting an Android Phone now I'd definitely make that my main option. Size wise it's pretty big at 5.5" but take note that despite having a larger screen than say, the HTC One both phones are actually physically the same size height wise and the G3 is only very slightly wider.

HTC One still looks incredible as well. I think Blinkfeed looks really interesting, I like the premium metal design of the phone and the speakers look great.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Don't get the Galaxy S5. I tried so hard to ignore the haters when I got my Note 3 but I have to admit TouchWiz just sucks and that's the whole thing that ties the phone together.
I think the LG G3 looks to be the best Android phone the market right now. Spec wise it's packed to the teeth, and the design of it also looks very nice. It also has arguably one of the best camera's on the market. If I were getting an Android Phone now I'd definitely make that my main option. Size wise it's pretty big at 5.5" but take note that despite having a larger screen than say, the HTC One both phones are actually physically the same size height wise and the G3 is only very slightly wider.

HTC One still looks incredible as well. I think Blinkfeed looks really interesting, I like the premium metal design of the phone and the speakers look great.

You can install a different launcher, and the notification pull down menu works great

And a big bonus for me is the physical home button, singlehandedly that feature will probably keep me from switching to a different phone (there are a few other things that would keep me but the physical button is huge for me)

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
on the S5, the 16 gb of storage isn't too bad considering you can add up to 128 GB of SD card storage

External SD card storage does not replace internal SD card storage. At all! They are 2 completely different animals. You can't for instance install apps on the external SD card storage. And under Kitkat you can't even move user-selected files to the external SD card!

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
its not that im a big photographer, but i would still like a good or great camera if I need it. and I one day want to get into photography more.

If you would decide to get into photography more get a real camera! The cameras in smartphones and tablets are for snapshots only. They are super convenient, but pathetic for serious photography.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I have both and after almost 2 weeks with the G3 I hate to say it because I love the S5, I would have to go with LG.

Build. It just feels better (naked) in the hands. Not slippery or uncomfortable like the M8 or Z2.

The lack of bezels and how LG squeezed the 5.5" into this body really is the reason.

I love both UI's a vast improvement from last year but again LG is just more polished and offers more customization like with the Home keys.

I would keep both if I could.

Pro S5

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK.... I traded in my Nexus 5 for the G3.... been a couple of weeks and I couldn't be more pleased. Unlike some, I am not seeing any thermal issues, nor any crazy lag. But then again, it's not really stock... I rooted, dropped the stock launcher for GNL and used some Xposed modules to tweak things even more and I dropped the DPI density to 560... it jitters here or there, but when I dropped the density on my Nexus 5, it was not quite as smooth as it was when unmolested.

Not saying "Get a G3" YMMV.... but I've been quite happy. I, too, read about possible issues with the phone. I took advantage of the two week grace, not sending in my old nexus 5, just in case. But while I feel nostalgic for my Nexus 5, the G3 is a better phone, even the non-clean Android LG put on it is tolerable, not as good as a Nexus, but still FAR more tolerable than Touchwiz. And I thought my N5 was better than the S5....

TavisB

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same position and ultimately decided on the S5. The water resistance and camera were the deciding factors for me. I use my phone for navigation on my motorcycle, and not having to stop and remove my phone from its mount when it starts to rain will be a huge thing for me. The ability to use an SD card is also something I am looking forward to. I store a lot of maps for off-line navigation, and shoot a lot of pictures and videos. My old HOX was constantly full of media to the point where I could not download apps.

I've never had a Touchwiz device, so we shall see how that works for me. It seems like a fairly easy issue to fix though if I don't like it.

metrix

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
The thing with android wasn't that I want to root or anything, I just don't have a desire to do that. It had more to do with the fact that since I use my phone mainly as a personal computing device I'd like something that I can easily move fiaea and information around. Also switch out some things I might not like such as keyboards and launchers. However I still want the device the be stable and run smooth, which can be a issue with android sometimes compared to iOS.

And one thing that frustrates me is that there doaent seem to be a android handset that perfect to me. With the S5 I get waterprrofing, a removable battery_ and a large ecosyestem of accessories, but it only get 16gbs of onboard storage, touchwiz is bloated still, and its made of cheap plastic. With the LGG3, I get a removable battery, a impressivley large screen in a not too large body, and 32gBs of storage. However, apparently it lags in areas due to its high res screen, the LG software still isn't he best_ and the contrast seems a bit washed out. With the HTC ONE M8 I get probably the best built android handset from a design standpoint, 32gbs of storage, probably the best non stock UI on android, and great performance. However, it hads a lackluster camera,, may be too big for comfort, is slippery to hold, and I have No clue if HTC is even going to be in business two years from now due to their dire financials.

Really, its frustrating.

I'm right there with you. I'm in a similar predicament. I'm between the N5, G3 and HTC M8 as well as iPhone 6. The three android phones are great, but they all seem to lack one key feature, different from each of the others. iPhone 6 seems to give the best coverage, but like you, I want a smoother interaction with my files and data and default apps. It's insane that I can't get a different default calendar or default browser (safari is terrible). These next few weeks are going to kill me being stuck on my iPhone 4s >.<

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non