Verizon 4G slower than 3G in South East PA areas last couple months?

daveross

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
In multiple parts of South East PA, Verizon's 4G has dropped to less than 3G in the last couple months.

Both myself and the wife bought new Galaxy S5's when we came to Verizon from Sprint just over 3 months or so ago, and was initially blown away-25 Mbps and higher in most areas. POLAR opposite of Sprint coverage for all areas.

However 4G LTE is STILL down in at least part of Lansdale, PA area-It's been at least a couple months now. When we bought the Galaxy S5's a little over a couple months ago, we have always gotten anywhere from 25-45 Mbps, and lately, even after resetting phones can barely get 2-3 Mbps-IF THAT!

Other areas-including parts of Pottstown, Douglassville, and Reading are also significantly slower than they were. Zip codes: 19454, 19465, 19518, 19606 for example. Thankfully (dare I say it) my home area hasn't failed-YET and we still get 20+ Mbps fine, so i know it's not the phones. But there is apparently some far-reaching outages-I drive 40 miles each way to work, and often pass through or stop at the above areas, and service has nosedived. Is Verizon aware of the problems? Network status page anywhere? Network status phone number?

I read that apparently Verizon uses:
700 (Band 13)
1700 /2100 (Band 4 - aws-1 - "XLTE")
1900 (Band 2-pcs)

The App LTE Discovery shows me as being on band 4 in most cases (where I get low speeds, previously they were high) However at home where I can still get 20+ I'm on band 13.

Thanks

mrnyjet

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
maybe they are doing tower upgrades in your area.
you could have saved money by checking out either AT&T or T-Mobile when you left Sprint.
Can buy/use/switch phones and carriers much easier on gsm.
lte is gsm, cdma is dead ongoing.

Posted via the Android Central App

ab2c4

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I am in northeast Pa and haven't noticed anything different recently with my Verizon work smartphone, lg g3.

I will say though, everyday between noon and 1pm data either doesn't work or is very slow, as well as again in the afternoon. For personal phones my wife and I use at&t and never have those problems ever. I guess in our area of Wilkes Barre and Scranton at&t seems to be a much more stable network.

Posted via the Android Central App

HighDef

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Northern Va, and my home neighborhood is rife with office space. Weekdays the Verizon 4G is used heavily and my speed falls to nearly nothing. Nights and weekends, however, when all the office workers are not present and hogging bandwidth, my VZW 4G is as fast as expected ~25Mbps downstream. Could you be experiencing congestion slowdown, too?