Buy a nice used phone or cheap new phone?

ovaltine123

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I've had droids all my smartphone life. I like the operating system better than windows or IOS so I want to stick with android. I'm nearing the end of my contract and don't want to renew it. I currently have a HTC DNA. Its a pretty good phone, great screen and fast but the sim card is slowly stopping to work and group text messages are pretty hard to use. But the main problem is the battery is absolutely TERRIBLE. I woke up this morning at 8:30 and the battery was fully charged. It's now 10:00, I've got onto Facebook for 10 minutes and now the battery is at 47%! Is there a way to replace the battery?...or is it even worth it to?

I'm guessing its probably just a better route to get a new phone. I don't want to spend a ton of money buying a phone so do you think its a better route to get a nicer used phone or a new cheaper phone? And specifically what phones would you recommend? I don't want to have to deal with this terrible battery situation anymore. I mainly use my smartphone for social media, browsing the internet, and taking pictures.

Thanks!

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Depends on how much you are looking to spend.
$100- Wait for Moto E 2nd Gen
$200- Buy Moto G 2nd Gen
$300- Buy Moto X 1st Gen/Nexus 5
Motorola basically has the entire budget segment cornered. You can't go wrong with a Moto.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend you get a phone with an easily replaceable battery. That gives you

G3
S4
S5
Note 3
Note 4
...and more. That way, the condition of the battery is never an issue worth considering, as you can always replace it. The phones I listed also all have removable SD card storage as well.

📱VI+🐉

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Lately I always buy used. Go to swappa and have a looksie around and you can get a great phone a few months old on the cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I kind of like new on principle because 1) you know exactly what you're getting, and 2) you get a warranty. If you're willing to take on a bit more risk, though, used is a fine way to go.

cherrybean

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
A cheap new phone is better. Used phones may not work so properly. There are many cheap new Android devices out there. Chinese smartphones are rather cheap and some are nice enough.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I know in the US Best Buy has the AT&T G3 on sale for $1 with a 2yr. I went ahead and opened up a new line and got it even though I had absolutely no need. It's a nice handset and Lollipop runs great on it. Since AT&T's ETF is a declining $375 I still don't think it's a bad deal if you decide you want to close the line early.

from the Note Edge📱📏

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I would myself go with a new, with a new phone you know what you are getting and it comes with a warranty. With a used phone you really have no idea what you are getting, and no warranty.

Have you tried to uninstall Facebook, that app has some problem that causes battery drain. I would uninstall it and run it for a few days and see how that works. You could open up your browser and go to Facebook that way, just for a test.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
There isn't a damn thing wrong with buying a used phone off of sites such as swappa.com.. bought 2 phones off them so far, one for my girlfriend(nexus 4) and one for my son(moto x 1st gen), nothing wrong with either phone.. the sellers have reviews same as on eBay, which also sells mostly used phones aswell.. just depends on your budget, can get a newer flagship for a more reasonable price than buying new and works the same.. will most likely get my next phone from them also.. if it's a warranty/insurance that is an issue as some have stated, can always look at squaretrade..

Also, as posted above, the motos are a great choice, I like what they're doing..

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty