I was at Google I/O 2015 —*ask me questions!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I've got a few hours to kill and s special kind of love for you fine folks in our forums. Have questions about Google I/O? What it's like? What we saw? What we didn't see?

Ask me questions and I'll answer!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... what announcement seemed to make the biggest impact? I only watched the keynote and it seems the rollout of Google Photos seemed to draw the biggest response.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Do you think this new Android "Doze/Sleep" mode will actually make any difference in battery life? I remain skeptical.

Posted via Razr M on the Android Central App

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah... what announcement seemed to make the biggest impact? I only watched the keynote and it seems the rollout of Google Photos seemed to draw the biggest response.

Photos is a big deal, but I'm also kinda excited about Now on Tap, the new app linking and using smartlock for passwords.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Unlimited free storage for pictures and videos will do that. But I agree, that is all anyone is making articles about. Android M it seems was the sideshow. Marginal stuff, nothing radical.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Unlimited free storage for pictures and videos will do that. But I agree, that is all anyone is making articles about. Android M it seems was the sideshow. Marginal stuff, nothing radical.

I think there's a lot of good stuff in M, actually. But you have to keep that in context. There are features that will well change by fall, and as always manufacturers will have their on take on things.

And I'm seeing a bunch of reports on these new features that either are kinda wrong or miss the point. There's been a lot of detail provided in the sessions that you miss just by going off Google's blog post. For instance: Reworking the way the torch (flashlight) works isn't just about making the code simpler. It's about not having to call the entire camera stack just to turn on the flashlight. That has more far-reaching results than just "it's easier."

Patience is hard. Nobody has to have this all figured out 24 hours later — nor should they try. :)

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Do you think this new Android "Doze/Sleep" mode will actually make any difference in battery life? I remain skeptical.

Why wouldn't it? Smarting utilization of a phone's downtime certainly should be a good thing. The key, as always, is going to be in the implementation. Just as I said about Volta, I'd caution against thinking "Hey, there's this thing now so everything automatically will be better." It's one thing to have a tool — it's another to use it well.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Google photos - how come I don't have the "faces" search option, but I have places and things etc. Great coverage AC as always

Posted via the Android Central App

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Google photos - how come I don't have the "faces" search option, but I have places and things etc. Great coverage AC as always

Thanks!

Might be that it's still sussing that out on the back end. Spoke with the head of that project (dude from the keynote) yesterday, said he saw it take some time for him, too.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Why wouldn't it? Smarting utilization of a phone's downtime certainly should be a good thing. The key, as always, is going to be in the implementation. Just as I said about Volta, I'd caution against thinking "Hey, there's this thing now so everything automatically will be better." It's one thing to have a tool — it's another to use it well.

Did they actually specify how it works? Does it turn down the CPU? Or is just not allowing background processes not to run?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Also, any clue about what is going on with Chrome OS/Chrome + Android? I was quite surprised that there was no mention of it..

They kept inching towards ChromeOS and Android coming more together with Android apps running on Chrome, but they have yet to make real one app store yet. I hope they do combine the two more.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!

Might be that it's still sussing that out on the back end. Spoke with the head of that project (dude from the keynote) yesterday, said he saw it take some time for him, too.

Thanks Phil for the reply, if you're ever in Glasgow Scotland me and the wife have a spare room for you to stay in :)