Recommend an alternative to Zenfone2?

OverthinkingThis

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
If I could design my own phone exactly as I wanted it, the result would basically be the Asus Zenfone2... except for the Intel CPU. I need a specific piece of software for work: Divide PIM, a secure email application from Mobile Iron; it seems it's only supported on ARM-based Android systems.

So what can I get that's close to the ZF2, but with an ARM CPU? Most important features for me, in order of priority (first is most important):
  • Works in USA on AT&T (specifically, I use Airvoice Wireless)
  • MicroSD slot. I like to keep all my music on local phone storage.
  • 5.0 to 5.5 inch screen. 720p or 1080p is plenty good. (I'm wary of the battery life impact of higher resolution screens.)
  • Decent battery life. I'm coming from a 1st-generation Moto G to give you a feel of what I expect.
  • Good multitasking performance. I don't run intensive apps, but I like to have a lot of web tabs open, Tapatalk running, maybe ConnectBot, etc. I like to switch back and forth between tabs/apps almost instantaneously. This requirement almost makes a large amount of RAM a necessity; the ZF2's 4GB is wonderful here.
  • Stock or near-stock Android... ZF2 has the whole "ZenUI" thing... but a quick install of Nova Launcher, and removal of all the unneeded bloatware makes for a good enough experience for me.

Just to give a little more color. As I mentioned, I'm coming from the first-gen Moto G (the refreshed LTE version). This phone was great when I used it minimally. But I've started using my phone more recently, and I'd like a bigger screen and better multi-tasking performance.

I got the Zenfone2 4GB/64GB version, and I love everything about it... except its incompatibility with the app I need for my job. The alternative is to carry two phones, one for me, and the other just for work. Not hot on that idea.

I just bought a Moto X Pure Edition. This phone is pretty nice, but the battery life is mediocre. It gets me through a light day, but with very little battery to spare. I've seen it charge quickly, but I'd rather not have to worry about charging and how long it will last. The other thing that's kind of annoying: while its size and weight are very similar to the ZF2, the ZF2 just feels better in my hands. It's a surprisingly noticeable difference, to where I feel worried about dropping the MXPE when using it with only one hand. But the ZF2 feels quite secure when I'm only using one hand.

If my MXPE could have battery performance on-par with (or better than) the ZF2, I think I could be happy with it. I've read some mixed reviews on the MXPE's battery life. Seems some people get tremendous SOT, and others get mediocre. I wonder if Motorola has quality control issues with their battery supplier? FWIW, I also bought my wife an MXPE, and hers gets noticeably better battery time than me.

OverthinkingThis

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You could consider the Zenfone 2 Laser, which has the Snapdragon 410: (link removed)

I've looked at that, but it doesn't appear to be "officially" marketed in the USA, which makes me a little nervous. Though the specs on it suggest it should work just fine in the USA. Also, that has a Snapdragon 410 SoC and 2 GB RAM, which puts it in the same category as the Moto G 2015/3rd Gen (2GB/16GB version). However, some of the articles about the Zenfone 2 Laser suggest there will be an upscale version with the Snapdragon 615 SoC and 3 GB RAM. That phone would be quite appealing, but it appears to be only rumors at this point. That, or the journalists are confusing it with the Zenfone 2 "Selfie".

The Moto X Play looks promising, but no official USA release. I've read about people importing them from Canada, but I think I'd prefer something that's "officially" supported in the USA. Am I too picky?

Anyway, the Moto G 2015 might do the trick, but it seems to be unobtanium right now. It would certainly be an upgrade from the Moto G 1st gen. Probably not quite the performance I'd like, but checks all the other boxes. Cheap enough to be a stop-gap until the perfect phone comes along I guess... if I could get one. :)

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I see what you mean. Considering the glowing reviews the 2015 Moto G gets, that seems to be the one to go for, once it's back in stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez