Samsung Pay refused

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I went to Harris Teeter, a grocery store chain based in North Carolina, and paid for my groceries using Samsung Pay. The cashier said that I couldn't use my phone to pay for groceries and called the manager. I explained the transaction already went through without a problem and she said she understood Samsung Pay worked but their corporate office had said not to allow customers to use it. Has anyone else run into this problem at other businesses?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's REALLY odd. I heard the story about the lady who tried to pay for her jewlery with SamsungPay and even got the cops called on her, but even that ended up being a misunderstanding and walked away with using it in the end. Never been to a store that says we can't use it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! And please share that with the AC Blog (news tip), I'm sure that's something that we'd love to share with our users!

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I've had Samsung Pay refused at Chipotle. Months ago they thought they knew everything until one day I paid with my phone and silenced their staff

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had Samsung Pay refused at Chipotle. Months ago they thought they knew everything until one day I paid with my phone and silenced their staff

Refused as in 'no sir, we know how Samsung Pay works, but you can't use it on our terminals' or refused because they thought it was Apple Pay and they needed a new terminal for that? I've used it at Chipotle before without issues, but that was over a month ago.

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
That's the nice way of responding. They told me like "What are you doing. You can use that here. Where's your card or we aren't giving you your food".

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I just received this email and responded with the requested information, which was easy to obtain since it was recorded by Samsung Pay.

Thank you for your email.

I want to apologize for the poor experience that you recently had in your local Harris Teeter. There appears to be a bit of miscommunication in reference to accepting payments through a mobile device and I would like to have the opportunity to address these issues to determine a specific response in reference to accepting mobile payments. So we can investigate this, can you please tell me which store location this transaction was processed at, the time of the transaction and the total of the transaction?

Thank you for shopping at Harris Teeter and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Kayla
Harris Teeter Customer Relations

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like he was just confused on how it worked -- either that or simply wanted to make up random policies. I have had some places say it won't work but once they see it they let it go.

chewyboy0

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
That is really odd. I have never seen that happen before. I do not have a smartphone at the moment but I am going to get one and it is definitely going to have NFC on it and if any store said that to me I would also be confused.

Joel Monroy

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
YES!!! I have a Tutti Fruiti yogurt ship next to me and BOTH employees ON SEPARATE DAYS refused to let me use my phone to pay. They just kept saying that it would not work. I kept on insisting for them to let me try and they just kept saying no no no.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That is really odd. I have never seen that happen before. I do not have a smartphone at the moment but I am going to get one and it is definitely going to have NFC on it and if any store said that to me I would also be confused.

Well, there's a difference between NFC payments and Samsung Pay. If the store doesn't have the NFC terminal, they can tell you whatever they want, it just won't work. With SP, as long as they have a swipe-card terminal, it should work and to them it's just as if you swiped your actual card.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just received this email and responded with the requested information, which was easy to obtain since it was recorded by Samsung Pay.

Thank you for your email.

I want to apologize for the poor experience that you recently had in your local Harris Teeter. There appears to be a bit of miscommunication in reference to accepting payments through a mobile device and I would like to have the opportunity to address these issues to determine a specific response in reference to accepting mobile payments. So we can investigate this, can you please tell me which store location this transaction was processed at, the time of the transaction and the total of the transaction?

Thank you for shopping at Harris Teeter and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Kayla

Well, it seems it has all been a misunderstanding and since they're asking for amounts, you might even be getting some credit/refund for your trouble! :)

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I just received this email:

Good Afternoon, Ford.

I wanted to follow back up with you in reference to your comments and questions regarding mobile payments. After investigation from Senior Management, it does appear that our stores have been advised to not accept mobile payments. This decision was put into place due to the systems that we will be upgrading to in the future, as these systems will be unable to accept mobile payments.
At this time, due to the software behind SamsungPay, it was confirmed that your transaction was processed correctly due to our systems recognizing this form of software. I do, however, want to assure you that this situation will be addressed with our Store Management Team to ensure that all of our associates are being consistent when accepting payments. If I receive any additional information in reference to mobile payments, I will be sure to follow back up with you. If there is anything else that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you for shopping at Harris Teeter.

Sincerely,

Kayla

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mmmm... it seems they just don't know how Samsung Pay works. They talk about it as if it was a PayPal transfer or an NFC payment. Samsung still needs to work to make business understand that this is just like swiping your card.

:(

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
What's confusing to me is that it sounds like they're "upgrading" to systems that will NOT accept mobile payments. Umm, that's more of a downgrade in my book. No Harris Teeters in my area so it doesn't really bother me.

I had an opposite experience with Android Pay. I had visited a recently renovated store of one of our major supermarket chains, they accepted Android Pay and it was advertised as being accepted. I went to another (not yet renovated) location that was not yet advertising mobile payment acceptance but gave it a shot anyway. As I was trying to have my Nexus 6P scan on the terminal the cashier started saying "we don't take that" and then had to change course to "that worked, here's your receipt, have a nice day".

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
What's confusing to me is that it sounds like they're "upgrading" to systems that will NOT accept mobile payments. Umm, that's more of a downgrade in my book.

Agreed. Their response didn't make sense to me. Bottom line is I'll just use my credit card, which is in my phone case, when I shop at Harris Teeter.

Dmh837

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Yesterday I went to Harris Teeter, a grocery store chain based in North Carolina, and paid for my groceries using Samsung Pay. The cashier said that I couldn't use my phone to pay for groceries and called the manager. I explained the transaction already went through without a problem and she said she understood Samsung Pay worked but their corporate office had said not to allow customers to use it. Has anyone else run into this problem at other businesses?

I know this is an old post but I just used it in Harris Teeter, and I have several times, and was told its not supposed to work. the rep said she was told they dont get the money. I find that odd...so where does the money go? And they tried to stop me but it went through right away. It was the first time anyone mentioned an issue with mobile payments..other times no one seemed the bit surprised it qent through and didnt say a word. Not to mention that Ive used it a number of time at self service registers. Just odd.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I know this is an old post but I just used it in Harris Teeter, and I have several times, and was told its not supposed to work. the rep said she was told they dont get the money. I find that odd...so where does the money go? And they tried to stop me but it went through right away. It was the first time anyone mentioned an issue with mobile payments..other times no one seemed the bit surprised it qent through and didnt say a word. Not to mention that Ive used it a number of time at self service registers. Just odd.

Welcome as a new member and thank you for the feedback. I'm quite a long way from North Carolina myself - about 4,000 miles - so I'll leave others to comment. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non