I am a big android enthusiast but lately, I have realized that most of the freedom available on android devices, I really do not need it and I am leaning towards getting an I Phone, I feel like they have a better resale value than Androids and a much more friendly user experience, is that true?
    07-10-2019 10:48 AM
    I am a big android enthusiast but lately, I have realized that most of the freedom available on android devices, I really do not need it and I am leaning towards getting an I Phone, I feel like they have a better resale value than Androids and a much more friendly user experience, is that true?
    Looking on Swappa, iPhones generally hold their value much better than any Android phones.
    TgeekB and Byrese like this.
    07-10-2019 11:27 AM
    I buy phones based on function and purchase price. Why would I buy something based on resell value? That just doesn't come into the equation for me.
    07-10-2019 11:39 AM
    I buy phones based on function and purchase price. Why would I buy something based on resell value? That just doesn't come into the equation for me.
    But buying something that functions well and also holds its value is even better.
    07-10-2019 04:30 PM
    But buying something that functions well and also holds its value is even better.
    Maybe if you swap often, but that's not most people. I've owned the V20 since day one, with no plans to give it up yet. By the time that time comes, it'll be about worthless on the secondary market. I doubt a 2016 iPhone would be much different.
    Jlharper016 and aximtreo like this.
    07-10-2019 04:35 PM
    Maybe if you swap often, but that's not most people. I've owned the V20 since day one, with no plans to give it up yet. By the time that time comes, it'll be about worthless on the secondary market. I doubt a 2016 iPhone would be much different.
    I agree that the longer you keep your device the less this would impact you.
    3 years (2016) isn’t that long though. Would be interested to see what the numbers are.
    07-10-2019 05:54 PM
    3 years (2016) isn’t that long though. Would be interested to see what the numbers are.
    Like I said, I have no intentions of moving on yet. Lol.

But you got me curious. Right now, it looks like the V20 is going for less than $100 in most cases. I saw some as high as $150 for mint condition with packaging, or with extra accessories. What's interesting about the phone, though, is it's a niche device. For the right buyer (I.e. Someone like me), they would be willing to pay a premium for it. I'd be willing to pay about $250 for one in mint condition. You'd have to pay me $250 for an iPhone to take it, which I'd give away, buy a V20 for $150, and profit $100 on the deal. Lol.

To not derail too much from the thread, this shows an inherent flaw in making a purchase decision based on resell value. You can make some guesstimates on how likely a phone is to retain its value, but the market is always shifting and there's never a guarantee on that retained value.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    07-10-2019 06:31 PM
    Have fun with the iPhone, they are not intuitive to me at all. I am an Apple fan though, have all their products except the iPhone, just don't get the fascination with them. I do think that part of it is just fitting in with peers. I have people ask if I have this iPhone app or something and I say no, I have Android, they just look at me blank and move on. In the end they just don't send me something or share something with me because I don't have the iPhone and I could care less.
    DMP89145 and Mike Dee like this.
    07-10-2019 06:34 PM
    Why do these threads always have to turn into this?
    Someone asked for advice. Just because they MAY switch to an iPhone doesn’t mean we have to begin finding something wrong with that begin hating on iPhones.
    I don’t have a locked in marriage to any brand and use both and don’t understand why others can’t also. Just my humble opinion.
    07-10-2019 07:18 PM
    ...tracking Swappa, the Verizon V20 is at low of $87 while the Verizon iPhone 7 has a low of $189.
    Laura Knotek and TgeekB like this.
    07-10-2019 07:54 PM
    ...tracking Swappa, the Verizon V20 is at low of $87 while the Verizon iPhone 7 has a low of $189.
    What shape these phones in fair
    07-10-2019 08:09 PM
    What shape these phones in fair
    Yep.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-10-2019 08:55 PM
    Someone asked for advice. Just because they MAY switch to an iPhone doesn’t mean we have to begin finding something wrong with that begin hating on iPhones.
    I don’t have a locked in marriage to any brand and use both and don’t understand why others can’t also. Just my humble opinion.
    Because Android people are tired of iPhone people looking down on them.
    TgeekB, jameny5 and kct1975 like this.
    07-10-2019 08:56 PM
    I am also a android user. I have never use the iphone. My friends say the iphone is wonderful and worthy to buying. Now I am consider buying a new iphone.
    07-10-2019 09:04 PM
    I actually don't see any real hate in this thread.... At least not compared to what I usually witness. If the thread derails completely the mods will take care of it.
    aximtreo and kct1975 like this.
    07-10-2019 09:27 PM
    Like I said, I have no intentions of moving on yet. Lol.

But you got me curious. Right now, it looks like the V20 is going for less than $100 in most cases. I saw some as high as $150 for mint condition with packaging, or with extra accessories. What's interesting about the phone, though, is it's a niche device. For the right buyer (I.e. Someone like me), they would be willing to pay a premium for it. I'd be willing to pay about $250 for one in mint condition. You'd have to pay me $250 for an iPhone to take it, which I'd give away, buy a V20 for $150, and profit $100 on the deal. Lol.

To not derail too much from the thread, this shows an inherent flaw in making a purchase decision based on resell value. You can make some guesstimates on how likely a phone is to retain its value, but the market is always shifting and there's never a guarantee on that retained value.
    The difference in resale between Devices diminishes over time. Lately new Androids take a drastic hit just a few months later. That's why some jump from device to device after just a few months.
    I use both IOS and Android. My Iphone is a work phone and I think for an Enterprise solution it's a better fit than Android. Their messaging and chat features are better integrated. Overall I still prefer Android for personal use, the rest if my family uses iPhones.
    aximtreo and kct1975 like this.
    07-10-2019 09:36 PM
    I use both android's and iphone's. I don't resale any of my phones either .
    I have passed down phones to friends or family who may not be able to afford one at times though.
    There is nothing wrong with trying either, its all a personal preference. Use what makes you happy
    07-11-2019 06:15 AM
    OP I say go for it. iPhone DO hold their value better than most android devices. Lot of that comes down to hardware build and service support. If resale is an important thing for you, iPhone's are more attractive from that standpoint.
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-11-2019 08:14 AM
    I really do not need it and I am leaning towards getting an I Phone, I feel like they have a better resale value than Androids and a much more friendly user experience, is that true?
    I have a counter question....are you one who sells old devices that you no longer use? If the answer is no, then why concern yourself over the resale value? At that point, there is no resale value.

If you do, that's fine. iPhones do hold their value more than other devices, but as discussed in another thread, that's partially due to supply and demand. Only 1 entity makes iPhones, and that is Apple. People who may not be able, or don't want to afford a new device look to used. The sellers can then name a price, and as long as it's lower than new, people will probably pay it. As long as people are willing to pay the demanded price, that price will stick.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-11-2019 08:46 AM
    Because Android people are tired of iPhone people looking down on them.
    Ahh yes, hurt feelings.
    07-11-2019 02:23 PM
    As everyone has noted, they do have a better resale value and longer software support. But if you're not into selling, stick with Android. The user interface of iOS isn't any easier or harder than the other mobile operating systems. In fact, it's rather restrictive. You can't drag and drop files on Windows computers with them, you can't rename or view file data within camera roll, tweeking is limited, no native file manager, just to name a few. 😶
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-11-2019 06:02 PM
    Aren't you an Android developer? Are you thinking of developing for iOS instead?

Oh, and again, hope your face is doing ok.
    Ry, Laura Knotek and Mooncatt like this.
    07-11-2019 06:20 PM
    Supply and demand.
    iPhone release 2-3 models a year. There are literally hundreds of Android models launched a year. If you are looking for a new iPhone, but a current flagship is too expensive for you, for an iPhone you have the option of getting an iPhone 8 or a 7 series. Nothing else.
    On Android using Samsung as an example, you find yourself unable to afford a current S10. Sure you have the option of last the Galaxy S9, or maybe the S8 series. But wait, you also see you have the option of a Galaxy A50. It's cheaper than a S9+, has a bigger battery, has 3 cameras instead of 2, the performance is between a Galaxy S7 and S8 (which means it's perfectly serviceable) and will carry a longer update cycle since it's launched later. So why would you again buy last year's flagship? Hence, value drop. And we're not yet even talking about the options of Pixel A, RedMi Note, Huawei P Lite, or Motorola G Power devices. Or even an alternative flagship-level device that's cheaper, like the Zenphone 6 or OP7.
    I don't resell my devices. I keep them in a drawer, with maybe one of them as an Authy backup or secondary devices to pull out as needed or for hand me downs.(I turn off Multidevice after setting up my devices. It's a whole 'nother convo and Authy actually recommends doing that).
    07-11-2019 06:24 PM
    Resale value is only important if you intend to change phones fairly often. Like when we bought our car, we ignored resale value because we tend to keep our cars till they are old enough that resale is going to be a non-issue (last car was over 10 years old - at that point NO car is going to be worth much.) Same with phones. If you want to switch phones every year or two you want to get a phone that is either not so expensive or that will hold resale value. If you want hang on to your phones for 3-4 years it just doesn't matter as much. The resale value on an iphone in good condition is probably going to be higher, but not high enough that it makes sense to make that your deciding point.

As for friendlier experience, I think that that's a matter of taste. There is not objective "truth" on this one.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-11-2019 08:23 PM
    1. Resale value should be viewed as a percentage of original cost. I'm not going to bother with the research, but what did an iPhone 7 cost compared to the V20, three years ago?

2. I believe that, in general, AppStore apps are more expensive than their equivalent PlayStore apps. But, again, I haven't thoroughly researched.
    07-12-2019 06:17 AM
59 123