On my last thread with Android

Carl Duncan1

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
I am a big android enthusiast but lately, I have realized that most of the freedom available on android devices, I really do not need it and I am leaning towards getting an I Phone, I feel like they have a better resale value than Androids and a much more friendly user experience, is that true?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am a big android enthusiast but lately, I have realized that most of the freedom available on android devices, I really do not need it and I am leaning towards getting an I Phone, I feel like they have a better resale value than Androids and a much more friendly user experience, is that true?

Looking on Swappa, iPhones generally hold their value much better than any Android phones.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I buy phones based on function and purchase price. Why would I buy something based on resell value? That just doesn't come into the equation for me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
But buying something that functions well and also holds its value is even better.
Maybe if you swap often, but that's not most people. I've owned the V20 since day one, with no plans to give it up yet. By the time that time comes, it'll be about worthless on the secondary market. I doubt a 2016 iPhone would be much different.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe if you swap often, but that's not most people. I've owned the V20 since day one, with no plans to give it up yet. By the time that time comes, it'll be about worthless on the secondary market. I doubt a 2016 iPhone would be much different.

I agree that the longer you keep your device the less this would impact you.
3 years (2016) isn’t that long though. Would be interested to see what the numbers are.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
3 years (2016) isn’t that long though. Would be interested to see what the numbers are.

Like I said, I have no intentions of moving on yet. Lol.

But you got me curious. Right now, it looks like the V20 is going for less than $100 in most cases. I saw some as high as $150 for mint condition with packaging, or with extra accessories. What's interesting about the phone, though, is it's a niche device. For the right buyer (I.e. Someone like me), they would be willing to pay a premium for it. I'd be willing to pay about $250 for one in mint condition. You'd have to pay me $250 for an iPhone to take it, which I'd give away, buy a V20 for $150, and profit $100 on the deal. Lol.

To not derail too much from the thread, this shows an inherent flaw in making a purchase decision based on resell value. You can make some guesstimates on how likely a phone is to retain its value, but the market is always shifting and there's never a guarantee on that retained value.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Have fun with the iPhone, they are not intuitive to me at all. I am an Apple fan though, have all their products except the iPhone, just don't get the fascination with them. I do think that part of it is just fitting in with peers. I have people ask if I have this iPhone app or something and I say no, I have Android, they just look at me blank and move on. In the end they just don't send me something or share something with me because I don't have the iPhone and I could care less.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Why do these threads always have to turn into this?
Someone asked for advice. Just because they MAY switch to an iPhone doesn’t mean we have to begin finding something wrong with that begin hating on iPhones.
I don’t have a locked in marriage to any brand and use both and don’t understand why others can’t also. Just my humble opinion.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

...tracking Swappa, the Verizon V20 is at low of $87 while the Verizon iPhone 7 has a low of $189.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Someone asked for advice. Just because they MAY switch to an iPhone doesn’t mean we have to begin finding something wrong with that begin hating on iPhones.
I don’t have a locked in marriage to any brand and use both and don’t understand why others can’t also. Just my humble opinion.

Because Android people are tired of iPhone people looking down on them.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I actually don't see any real hate in this thread.... At least not compared to what I usually witness. If the thread derails completely the mods will take care of it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Like I said, I have no intentions of moving on yet. Lol.

But you got me curious. Right now, it looks like the V20 is going for less than $100 in most cases. I saw some as high as $150 for mint condition with packaging, or with extra accessories. What's interesting about the phone, though, is it's a niche device. For the right buyer (I.e. Someone like me), they would be willing to pay a premium for it. I'd be willing to pay about $250 for one in mint condition. You'd have to pay me $250 for an iPhone to take it, which I'd give away, buy a V20 for $150, and profit $100 on the deal. Lol.

To not derail too much from the thread, this shows an inherent flaw in making a purchase decision based on resell value. You can make some guesstimates on how likely a phone is to retain its value, but the market is always shifting and there's never a guarantee on that retained value.
The difference in resale between Devices diminishes over time. Lately new Androids take a drastic hit just a few months later. That's why some jump from device to device after just a few months.
I use both IOS and Android. My Iphone is a work phone and I think for an Enterprise solution it's a better fit than Android. Their messaging and chat features are better integrated. Overall I still prefer Android for personal use, the rest if my family uses iPhones.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use both android's and iphone's. I don't resale any of my phones either .
I have passed down phones to friends or family who may not be able to afford one at times though.
There is nothing wrong with trying either, its all a personal preference. Use what makes you happy :)

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

OP I say go for it. iPhone DO hold their value better than most android devices. Lot of that comes down to hardware build and service support. If resale is an important thing for you, iPhone's are more attractive from that standpoint.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I really do not need it and I am leaning towards getting an I Phone, I feel like they have a better resale value than Androids and a much more friendly user experience, is that true?

I have a counter question....are you one who sells old devices that you no longer use? If the answer is no, then why concern yourself over the resale value? At that point, there is no resale value.

If you do, that's fine. iPhones do hold their value more than other devices, but as discussed in another thread, that's partially due to supply and demand. Only 1 entity makes iPhones, and that is Apple. People who may not be able, or don't want to afford a new device look to used. The sellers can then name a price, and as long as it's lower than new, people will probably pay it. As long as people are willing to pay the demanded price, that price will stick.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
As everyone has noted, they do have a better resale value and longer software support. But if you're not into selling, stick with Android. The user interface of iOS isn't any easier or harder than the other mobile operating systems. In fact, it's rather restrictive. You can't drag and drop files on Windows computers with them, you can't rename or view file data within camera roll, tweeking is limited, no native file manager, just to name a few. 😶

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith