Chromecast and my Chromebook

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
What a terrible experience.
If I stream from the browser it is slower then a snail. Super laggy.
I open Chrome and go to netflix. start streaming and its super choppy. It says its because of my computers performance.
I know chromebooks dont have super specs, but I have the new Acer with 4GB of RAM. Yet It just doesnt cast correct.
I tried everything. Putting it closer to the chromecast. closing all tabs except that one. and even streaming 480. Didnt help at all.
It would also just stop streaming every 2 minutes on youtube (but wasnt choppy)
Overall.... I would "assume" Google would make the CHROMEcast work with the CHROMEbook.

Streaming from my Nexus 4 is super smooth and nice. No flaws with High quality.
So I know its not my connection or router.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Somehow I'm guessing that you do not have a Pixel.

There are minimum specs to use the Chromecast from your PC, Chromebook, Apple OS. Don't blame Google just because your computer doesn't meet the minimum specs.

Interesting.... Google created a phone for the consumer who didn't want to pay and arm and leg. Then they came out with chromebooks for the same purpose. Then they made a chromecast with the same purpose. But yet they aren't compatible? Who's to blame then? The consumer for wanting Google products at a good price??

Let's re consider the objective here.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting.... Google created a phone for the consumer who didn't want to pay and arm and leg. Then they came out with chromebooks for the same purpose. Then they made a chromecast with the same purpose. But yet they aren't compatible? Who's to blame then? The consumer for wanting Google products at a good price??

Google created Android for all market. high end to low end, not only for one who didn't want to pay an arm and leg.
chromebook was expensive at the beginning, the sales were not good so they build a cheaper laptop with with low end spec.

The problem with desktop mirroring is with WebRTC used in mirroring. whats it doing is taking a video of your PC and sending the stream to chromecast.
as we all know. encoding and decoding video is processor intense, hence the choppyness

Last edited:

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Google created Android for all market. high end to low end, not only for one who didn't want to pay an arm and leg.
chrome was expensive at the beginning but the sales was not good so they build a cheaper laptop with with low end spec.

The problem with desktop mirroring is with WebRTC used in mirroring. whats it doing is taking a video of your PC and sending the stream to chromecast.
as we all know. encoding and decoding video is processor intense, hence the choppyness

I guess its just dissappointing when youre expecting a chromebook to be even more awesome... and its practically unusable with the chromecast. I hope they make a some fix or setting that allows them to run a little better.

Rdbwpb

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I expect we will see an chromebook app that will take care of this problem. The apps that work with Chromecast don't use the controller machine to decode the stream they just setup the connection between the server and the Chromecast device. When you stream the browser you have to decode the content from the web and encode back to send to Chromecast. There is no reason a Chromebook app can't or won't be create that will work like the Android app and bypass the Chromebook encoding step.

Ed Duffy

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I boughtthe Chromebook specifically to use with Chromecast thinking the two would certainly beoptimized to work with each other. Nope. I have to use my Samsung phone or my iMac.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Do you have any idea how taxing it is on a computer to encode any video, let alone a 720p tab or 1080p screen? Production companies who do movies and TV have super powerful rigs and they still struggle. Granted you are encoding a much higher quality file but the idea still applies. A Chromebook has bare minimum specs in order to get the price so low.

It's in beta so I bet the requirements will drop as time goes on and Google learns how to get things to work more efficiently. But it may never get to the point where your Chromebook can do it.

Also RAM, after a certain point, does not indicate performance in anything other than RAM intensive tasks which encoding on the fly isn't. Just thought I would let you know :).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually the chromebook is ond of the officially supported devices for the chromecast. So the OP is right to complain if it isn't working as advertised.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually the chromebook is ond of the officially supported devices for the chromecast. So the OP is right to complain if it isn't working as advertised.

It certainly is. I was just looking at the same thing and it says that my Chromebook specifically is supported.

Sent from my Nexus 5

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I open Chrome and go to netflix. start streaming and its super choppy.

Netflix is one of the supported apps to play directly to the Chromecast. Are you using tab casting from the chromebook to send the netflix video or are you using the web based netflix app to to tell the CC what to play from netflix.

The reason I ask is because if you use the Chromecast button in the Netflix web app the Chormebook is completely out of the equation. If you are simply casting the tab then the chromebook is having to do 4 things to make it work. First it downloads the video from netflix, Then it has to decode and do the playback(not a simple task), then it has to re-encode it and make it playable on the Chromcast. Last it has to transmitt it back out the wifi to the CC.

See if you can cast a local video file from the tab browser. I suspect that will be more successfuly.