Google Home Doesn't Recognize My Home Town

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't laugh, but I live in Hicksville, NY. Believe it or not, it's the epicenter of Long Island.

Anyway.... when I ask Google Home the weather or the time, it responds with "sorry I can't help with that yet". If I ask what's the weather or time in <any town surrounding me> it works as expected.

I've had other folks try it, and they get the same results. You try it too - ask, what's the weather (or time) in Hicksville, New York?

How can I escalate this to Google?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Start off by sending them feedback, but it's hard to know how effective it will be in the short run: https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7071494?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

EDIT: I noticed that if that support site is left on your browser for more than about 15 seconds, a Chat option appears at the lower right, so it looks like you can bring it to direct attention of a human (or possibly a very human-like bot?).

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Funny. I live in Hicksville too. Hello neighbor. Yup, my Google Home Minis know the time and weather in Plainview right next to us, but not Hicksville.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I have a regular home and a mini that is that is part of my "Home". When I ask about the weather on my home, it gives it from a neighboring town. The mini gives it from my town. Weird, but not a big deal.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
To make it more interesting, it's not just Google home. If you open a web browser and look for time or weather in any town around me, it replies with the time or forecast. Not for Hicksville though - just replies with websites. I've submitted feedback to Google. Pretty weird. But it's deeper than Google home. Google has a bug up it's *** about Hicksville, LOL.

enchantedsky

Feb 8, 2019
Visit site
Don't laugh, but I live in Hicksville, NY. Believe it or not, it's the epicenter of Long Island.

Anyway.... when I ask Google Home the weather or the time, it responds with "sorry I can't help with that yet". If I ask what's the weather or time in <any town surrounding me> it works as expected.

I've had other folks try it, and they get the same results. You try it too - ask, what's the weather (or time) in Hicksville, New York?

How can I escalate this to Google?

I am in Hicksville, NY also (a few blocks away from the Broadway mall and former Sears lot) and I have had the same issues with Google Home. I have reported the issue to Google numerous times.

I'm happy that I'm not alone with this issue. At first, I didn't know it affect Hicksville users, thinking that sometime was wrong with my homes. Even my Google Pixel 3 phone refuses to tell me the time and the weather because it was setup with Hicksville's zip code (I might change it to Jericho, NY just to get it working again).

Anyway, my research shows that Google usually fixes issues like this on their own. They tend to break their services and then they fix them on their own. You can also tell Google to leave feedback and then tell it that it's not telling the weather or time for Hicksville.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Interestingly, Home knows what time it is, 'cause if I say wake me up at a certain time, it does. It just won't respond to a query, on all Google services.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez