just bought an n1 very happy:) any tips?

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I just bought an n1 today second hand for $300
I decided to after seeing the nexus s official specs(no sd slot was the deal breaker for me i need more than 20gb space)
i decided its not worth my money for something only a bit better than what has been out for a year now and i'd just wait for another android device.

this way i sell my iphone 32gb 3gs for 300 and i break even, then wait for a better nexus phone next year

im coming from a 32gb 3gs on tmobile(edge only) to this n1(tmob 3g) and it feels so much snappier
i'm very happy
=]

although i noticed it gets hot when charging is that normal?

any tips or apps/mods i should know?

keep in mind im completely new to android...i don't know anything

i've lived and breathed ios jailbreak/unlocking for the past 3 years

Yell0w

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Yea I notice when charging, it does tend to get hot too but I think that's the electricity. When it's done charging, it will be fine cause it took time to cool down. I just recently switched too but from a blackberry. I'm now testing it for about 4 weeks now. It's been a great experience, but I'm having some keyboard problems, I mistype a lot but I guess it's cause I was used to typing on the iPod touch. It just feels different to me and will probably take time to adapt, just wondering if you have that problem too since you came from an iPhone.

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yea I notice when charging, it does tend to get hot too but I think that's the electricity. When it's done charging, it will be fine cause it took time to cool down. I just recently switched too but from a blackberry. I'm now testing it for about 4 weeks now. It's been a great experience, but I'm having some keyboard problems, I mistype a lot but I guess it's cause I was used to typing on the iPod touch. It just feels different to me and will probably take time to adapt, just wondering if you have that problem too since you came from an iPhone.

funny that you say that
i dont know what it is but i feel like the android stock keyboard isnt as accurate as the iphone

i know there are other options but i dont know much about them

google recently aquired blindtype which should help things

Yell0w

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
funny that you say that
i dont know what it is but i feel like the android stock keyboard isnt as accurate as the iphone

Yea, that's the way I feel too. I thought i was the only one cause i rarely see threads about keyboard. Not sure what it is or what to pinpoint as the thing to address. Touchscreen problem? Maybe it's the layout of the stock android keyboard. I see people rate "smart keyboard" with high ratings so that could be the alternative.

libertycityfd

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the N1 world! I've had one since April and have loved every minute of it and I'm sure you'll enjoy it! As far as keyboards go I'd recommend Swiftkey. I like it because it can be very forgiving of mistakes. You might want to play with and get used to the stock android experience for a bit but afterwards I'd also recommend a custom launcher too like Launcher Pro. It takes the stock android experience and makes it even better and let's you customize a ton of things to your liking. Oh and if you want a fun addictive game, definitely get Angry Birds from the Market! If you play games for a while or use any apps for an extended amount of time, just keep an eye on your battery! I could go on all day about this phone but I'll stop for now lol enjoy!

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Enjoy your Nexus One. It is a great phone. I've had mine since it was release and I think it is probably the best phone I've ever had. I normally never keep phones longer than 5-6 months, while nexus one, I've been using it for almost a year now.

employedslacker#AC

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Launcher Pro is a must! I use the free version and it totally makes the experience better and helps you organize with the scrolling menu at the bottom. Because I don't like to have so many screens full of apps. Apps like

Handcent SMS - is great if you want to get a customized look to your text messages. You can make it look almost identical to Iphone SMS

Ringdroid -if you want to make custom ring tones and

Where's My Droid - is a fun app in case you misplace your phone.

I normally get new phones about every year because I always want the latest technology, but since I paid a pretty penny for the Nexus I am sticking to it and it doesn't hurt that it gets the latest updates from Google, unlike other phones on Wireless carriers.

Seidio is a company that makes really nice phone cases. I always use theirs for my phones.

Enjoy your Nexus!!

popimp315

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting to get my nexus one or g2....im still debating on where to get it...should i go 2nd hand or just go ahead and get it via developer. I have wanted this phone since LAUNCH. I've been waiting on the storm3 as i am a blackberry supporter but they have fallen behind big time and its sad. Which do you guys prefer....g2 or n1...i think they are equal but g2 would be better for me because of the physical keyboard

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting to get my nexus one or g2....im still debating on where to get it...should i go 2nd hand or just go ahead and get it via developer. I have wanted this phone since LAUNCH. I've been waiting on the storm3 as i am a blackberry supporter but they have fallen behind big time and its sad. Which do you guys prefer....g2 or n1...i think they are equal but g2 would be better for me because of the physical keyboard

if you buy via dev you might as well be buying a nexus s...

it is of course better than the nexus one just not enough for me to justify paying full price
and i need expandable sd slot

i prefer having updates asap so n1 ftw

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site

I'd say get G2. Even if you get a nexus one as a developer it is still a year old phone. Unless you can find a good price on eBay or Craigslist I'd say get G2 or Nexus S.

OHHitsKB

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
This is something I've been debating for a week or two. The N1 gets constant updates and seems to still be a favorite of devs and AndroidCentral staff, but it seems like it will be phased out when the Nexus S releases. The G2 doesn't get as much dev support it seems, though they're trying, but its newer and has the 4g connection. Seems like both have their pluses. I just can't decide…=[ I really just want a vanilla android device that will get lots of updates and has a large dev community

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
This is something I've been debating for a week or two. The N1 gets constant updates and seems to still be a favorite of devs and AndroidCentral staff, but it seems like it will be phased out when the Nexus S releases. The G2 doesn't get as much dev support it seems, though they're trying, but its newer and has the 4g connection. Seems like both have their pluses. I just can't decide?=[ I really just want a vanilla android device that will get lots of updates and has a large dev community

If you can get a good price on eBay or Craigslist then go ahead and get it. I personally don't think it's worth paying $529 for a phone that's been out for almost a year. Then again, if money is not a concern for you, go for it. It will serve you well.

popimp315

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
yeah...but i've ALWAYS ALWAYS wanted a nexus one and it doesnt seem like they are going to phase it out since it gets every update that comes out. I think the only one it may have a problem with is honeycomb coming up because of multi touch. I heard the nexus has it, but it isnt as good as it should be. And with someone in this thread stating that the g2 isn't supported by the developers as much i dunno if i want it. I mean the g2 is basically a nexus one with optical trackpad and physical keyboard...am i wrong? Sorry for the late response by the way, been fixing this stupid ass computer and now its running like a charm. I just need to overclock the cpu on here though still. But yeah...im in need of a new phone as i am still on a BLACKBERRY STORM ON TMOBILE...and my mom used my upgrade (UBER GAY). I appreciate the insight and would love more. Im just not a fan of Samsung though their captivate and vibrant are great...i just am not sold yet...someone can make a pitch though lol wink wink

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
thank you very much for that faq
and about the n1 and honeycomb...?

do you think n1 will get honeycomb?

i'm hoping to have my n1 until the next "google experience phone" (after the nexus s)

akanak

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
funny that you say that

I think the touchpad used in the N1 is also a culprit, it's multitouch support is kinda iffy so it won't recognize some taps if you type really fast or have several fingers on the screen at once.