Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Help! Husbands birthday is coming up and I would like to get him a tablet but need help choosing!

After reading reviews it seems as though the Google Nexus 10 is the best one out there but is that true? I'm not looking to spend anymore than $500. He would be using it for watching sports, playing games, browsing the net, and watching videos. May take pics and vids on occasion. I like that it has a tougher glass than others. He takes care of his stuff but he would be taking it to work and he works in a factory so needs something that has some toughness to it. He has the ability to use his phone as a hotspot. Just in case you need to know, I'm located in WI.

Thanks in advance!

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Help! Husbands birthday is coming up and I would like to get him a tablet but need help choosing!

After reading reviews it seems as though the Google Nexus 10 is the best one out there but is that true? I'm not looking to spend anymore than $500. He would be using it for watching sports, playing games, browsing the net, and watching videos. May take pics and vids on occasion. I like that it has a tougher glass than others. He takes care of his stuff but he would be taking it to work and he works in a factory so needs something that has some toughness to it. He has the ability to use his phone as a hotspot. Just in case you need to know, I'm located in WI.

Thanks in advance!

The Nexus 10 is an excellent tablet, I highly recommend it. I also recommend the newest Galaxy tab 10.1 from here http://m.samsung.com/us/topic/galaxy-note-10-1-2014-edition. The 16 gigabyte is 550 but the tablet is absolutely amazing. With either of these tablets I'm sure he'll enjoy them

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! The Galaxy 10.1 was the other one I was looking at but the specs for the Nexus 10 came back so much higher for the screen res, etc I am leaning towards it. I can find the Galaxy at a lower cost so I'd love to save money but not necessarily if it'll be that big of a difference. What is your opinion on how they match up?

Posted via Android Central App

djm7541

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
But it really should be mentioned that the new version of the Nexus 10 will, quite possibly, be coming out in the next few days, or maybe next week. You would want to wait a few days, I think. Even though the current model is perfectly fine.

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Really?! I didn't know a new one was coming out. His birthday is 12/4 so I have a little time yet. Does anyone know what the new one will bring?

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Really?! I didn't know a new one was coming out. His birthday is 12/4 so I have a little time yet. Does anyone know what the new one will bring?

Honestly at this point no one really knows, that said there is a Google Play event this week so you may want to wait at least until the weekend before making your choice. If the new one is not announced by then go ahead and pick up your choice.

Seems like a lot of places have the current N10 discounted so either way you go it's a solid tablet.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! The Galaxy 10.1 was the other one I was looking at but the specs for the Nexus 10 came back so much higher for the screen res, etc I am leaning towards it. I can find the Galaxy at a lower cost so I'd love to save money but not necessarily if it'll be that big of a difference. What is your opinion on how they match up?

For your situation, I would recommend the Nexus 10. The updates will be faster, the speed is really good and it has a better price. If you already have some Samsung products, then I recommend the galaxy tab 10.1 because it will be a similar experience.

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod

djm7541

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
But it really should be mentioned that the new version of the Nexus 10 will, quite possibly, be coming out in the next few days, or maybe next week. You would want to wait a few days, I think. Even though the current model is perfectly fine.

The current model is very fast. The new model will be very super fast. And the edges around the screen will probably be a bit more narrow. And then some other stuff.

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all of the great replies! We have the Samsung Note II right now for phones. Hopefully the new one will be coming out like this week and I can take a look at that. No one locally has one to look at. Walmart has the galaxy 10.1. I'll be calling Best Buy to see if they have the Nexus 10 on hand.

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I started with the following:
an original Kindle Fire;
an original Nexus 7
I also have an HTC Droid DNA as my current smartphone & have had an HTC Thunderbolt & original Motorola Droid.

I decided I wanted a larger screen tablet and considered long and hard between: newest Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 10, and one of the Samsung 10 inch tables.
Played with the Nexus and Samsung devices in store for a while. Then studied the specs for a long while.

Then I narrowed it down to the newest Fire HDX or the Nexus 10. Both had very comparable specs and I am a very heavy Amazon content user (Prime, Kindle books, Amazon instant video).
In the end, I decided that, even though I could get a 64Gb version of the newest Fire, I really enjoyed the pure Google Android experience of my Nexus 7 and wanted the larger screen device to be extremely functional for work utilities and not just reading books, watching vids, web surfing and email checking.

So I went with the Nexus 10; figured that the newer one would be beyond my budget (I wanted to spend under $500) and went with the current one.

I am extremely pleased, The screen is absolutely mind-blowing, speakers are quite loud, sound is good, and with various "office" suite utilities that I already had (either from Google Play or Amazon Kindle apps), it is very much a work device, but still lets me enjoy frivolity. :)

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks cegabq! That's one of the biggest reasons I'm leaning towards the Nexus 10, for the screen. He will want to watch football & racing on it and I want to make sure he has a nice screen to watch it on. My poor hubby works 12 hours a day, 7 days a week on third shift so this is how he watches his sports.