non-removable battery. Are there advantages?

zer0vette

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely a passenger on the removable battery train, but it's all I've ever known.

Are there advantages to a non-removable battery? The only thing i can think of is that a device without a battery door might allow a more rigid device feel.

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It'll be thinner than others.
Also it'll be better looking IMO, cause I don't like flimsy back covers....

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Erckul

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
my concern is that when we root the phone (thus voiding the warranty) and a battery issue occurs....are we screwed and have to buy a brand new phone? will we be able to have the phone replaced? it won't be as if we can just do a battery pull to help with issues or replace a bad battery.

emoeskaite

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
No advantages. This is a BIG disadvantage. Let's say you are going camping where there is no electricity--you can't have an extra battery on you. I don't get this stupid idea, hope this is only rumors. Where will the SIM slot be located if the phone is unopenable..?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
my concern is that when we root the phone (thus voiding the warranty) and a battery issue occurs....are we screwed and have to buy a brand new phone? will we be able to have the phone replaced? it won't be as if we can just do a battery pull to help with issues or replace a bad battery.

There is always a physical button combo that will reset like a battery pull would.

No advantages. This is a BIG disadvantage. Let's say you are going camping where there is no electricity--you can't have an extra battery on you. I don't get this stupid idea, hope this is only rumors. Where will the SIM slot be located if the phone is unopenable..?

Portable charger or even a solar charger (great for the outdoorsy types)

Built in batteries are usually higher capacity as well, so you get more running time. And SIM/SD cards go in small slots around the edge of the phone.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
WHAT? Where do you get this from?

With a built in battery, the device is the case so you can use a lithium polymer battery without its own case and not worry about a spare battery getting punctured in someone's pocket (which would destroy the battery and possibly even set fire to someone's pants). The protective casing for a removable battery can take up a noticeable amount of room.

In other words a larger battery can be crammed into a smaller space.

Personally I still prefer a removable battery. The size and weight tradeoff is worth it. However, I can't think of any recent tablets that have removable batteries and don't hear a lot of complaints about that. So the lack of a removable battery is not a deal killer for me, especially if the battery isn't too hard to replace when it fails.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

emoeskaite

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Lol..pants fire...shouldn't have been lying

<<<?Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>

It may also explode in your pocket like a granade and rip you apart;) careful with those things...

w3bMaster101

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Solar charger ? really? ....

When i have a day i know i won't spend at the office, i like having a second battery on me, because those days usually get pretty crazy and usually before the day ends, the battery in my galaxy nexus drains out.
I am always on the move, running from a client to another, sometimes by car, sometimes not, etc... bottom line i can't rely on portable chargers because i don't know if i'll be able to use them. I can't take a wall charger because i don't know how much time i'll spend in one place, and also because it would be stupid having to plugin in and plug out the charger every 5-10 minutes in each room i visit.

Solar charger... i don't even want to get into that one... but i'm sure you can imagine how great it would be having to carry one of those around, and giving it enough light in my pocket... Should i perhaps buy myself a portable power generator, running on petrol? yeah...

I was really waiting for the next nexus phone, but if the LG rumors turn out to be true, and that'll be the only nexus phone... it would be very disappointing for me...

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

When i have a day i know i won't spend at the office, i like having a second battery on me, because those days usually get pretty crazy and usually before the day ends, the battery in my galaxy nexus drains out.
I am always on the move, running from a client to another, sometimes by car, sometimes not, etc... bottom line i can't rely on portable chargers because i don't know if i'll be able to use them. I can't take a wall charger because i don't know how much time i'll spend in one place, and also because it would be stupid having to plugin in and plug out the charger every 5-10 minutes in each room i visit.

MintyBoost Kit [v3.0] ID: 14 - $19.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Instant Charger - For Micro USB Mobile Phones | Energizer

I think it runs off of magnets, so there's no telling how it works. I've also seen them with lithium ion batteries instead of AA.

Solar charger... i don't even want to get into that one... but i'm sure you can imagine how great it would be having to carry one of those around, and giving it enough light in my pocket... Should i perhaps buy myself a portable power generator, running on petrol? yeah...

I was really waiting for the next nexus phone, but if the LG rumors turn out to be true, and that'll be the only nexus phone... it would be very disappointing for me...

Take a breather and read

Let's say you are going camping where there is no electricity--you can't have an extra battery on you.

Which illicits this

Portable charger or even a solar charger (great for the outdoorsy types).

HOW TO ? Make a solar MintyBoost, a solar power charger for your gadgets! ? adafruit industries blog

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Ofcrose only advantage is the thiner size (well it's debatable if it's advantage, personally like thicker phones) since manufacture don't need to place double back cover for battery and hardware.

But there one thing, non-removable battery is usally not aboslutly non-removable battery, it's simply less-serviceable for user, but replacement is possible and considering we got smartphone manics here that replace phone at least every year i don't think battery will able to short it's life to level of annoce so quickly. Ofcorse other loss is emergency way to turn off phone, but usually holding power button usally do the job right on complete freeze. I got iPod touch and never had situation where i need to wait until batter went off and i never needed to remove battery on my Galaxy S2 yet either, so for me it's not a big loss and i think less storage is more annoying issue(i starting to see that on my Galaxy S2 ;p i need to by SD card for it one day)

Wolvan

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Get a portable power pack. Bunch of people make them. I have a little one from iTrent that I purchased for my wife since she is horrible about plugging her phone in. Its about the size of an older feature phone, carries a 3500 mamp battery, can charge and discharge. And you can use them to charge all types of electronics with different cables (it has a USB out plug, just use the right adapter or cable for your device). And they make bigger one's upto 10000 mamp.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

Solar charger, as I was responding to a statement about camping. There is generally not a lack of sunlight in the great outdoors. Also, the solar chargers that I had in mind have a built in battery that will store a charge. Leave it on the car seat and you've got a few charges easy as pie, just grab and go. You can also get small non-solar portable chargers that are battery based, and don't need an outlet. (I have one of these) They are small, can be plugged in in a pocket, and bonus, can be shared if someone in the group needs a charge too while you're out and about.

Amazing how varied the choices are when you look around.

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
There is always a physical button combo that will reset like a battery pull would.
Although there might always be a physical button combo, it doesn't mean that combo will always work. If the phone locks up every now and then it won't recognize the physical buttons being pushed.

This is evident on my galaxy tab 10.1 which suffers from what is called the sleep of death. Every now and then something goes wrong and my tabs screen won't turn on. There is a physical button combo to reset but often in these sleeps of death this combo does nothing. Since the tab has an internal battery there is nothing I can do except wait for the battery to drain for the tab to reset. This can sometimes take several days depending on the battery level when the sleep of death occurs.

So, there is a big advantage to removable batteries when it comes to messing with your phone with the fact that you can -always- reset by a battery pull.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Although there might always be a physical button combo, it doesn't mean that combo will always work. If the phone locks up every now and then it won't recognize the physical buttons being pushed.

This is evident on my galaxy tab 10.1 which suffers from what is called the sleep of death. Every now and then something goes wrong and my tabs screen won't turn on. There is a physical button combo to reset but often in these sleeps of death this combo does nothing. Since the tab has an internal battery there is nothing I can do except wait for the battery to drain for the tab to reset. This can sometimes take several days depending on the battery level when the sleep of death occurs.

So, there is a big advantage to removable batteries when it comes to messing with your phone with the fact that you can -always- reset by a battery pull.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1

In a wake it should work, since it's usually independent function of motherboard (or else it was not implemented on it, which in case of non-removable batter it needs to), it is build exactly for case where CPU get locked up. In your case it, sleep is specific power state in which hardware work in limited nature and that feature might be unreachable.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's the advantage: Every manufacturer I've talked to says it saves on thickness and can allow for larger capacity. Every. Single. One.

That said, you've got the GS3.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Here's the advantage: Every manufacturer I've talked to says it saves on thickness and can allow for larger capacity. Every. Single. One.

That said, you've got the GS3.

Right. I'd like phones to have longer lasting battery and be thin, but you are right, the S3 does last LONGER than a lot of phones with built-in battery and it is thinner!

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using the DINC 2. Recently it locked HARD. No key presses of any kind would register. The only way I was able to get the phone back in service was by pulling the battery. This is pretty much the ONLY thing that worries me about a non-removable battery. Can anybody verify that this will be a non-issue with a phone that has a permanently installed battery?

(I'm eligible for a new phone Mid February so I'm looking into this issue now.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty