T-Mobile Unlimited (Value) Plan and Tethering

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering going to the TM family value plan (vs prepaid) only because I pay for my parents' phones, so it ends up a lot cheaper if I go the value plan route for 3 lines (especially when you factor in my work 15% discount). My question is this. If I go with the unlimited data vs TM's hotspot plan (only 5 or 10GB per month), will I be able to do wireless tethering to my laptop at home with the N4? Since it's unlocked, I'm presuming that TM won't be able to block me, but I think I read somewhere on the forums here that TM will track my browser usage (desktop agent?) to see if I'm tethering, but that there's a way to spoof the agent?

Anyone currently on a TM unlimited plan and tethering with no issues?

And what if I'm simply tethering to run Google Talk or Skype on my computer, or if I tether to connect to my work's VPN? Will TM be able to see that I'm tethering?

Relikk356

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar setup to what you are planning to do. I have a Gnex, instead of the 4. Yes, tmobile will track you and over time will stop your access to websites. They basically forward you to a page that say "if you want hotspot tethering please contact t mobile". I think they use your phones MAC address as a way to ID the device. You can probably spoof that MAC address and get it to work. It seems to only forward you if you use Tmobiles DNS. I was still able to get my security camera feeds from home to work using my direct IP address. I'm sure their ways around this, just do some research.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I hadn't known T-mobile had started doing this. I remember being able to tether on other Nexus devices with no problem in the past.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering going to the TM family value plan (vs prepaid) only because I pay for my parents' phones, so it ends up a lot cheaper if I go the value plan route for 3 lines (especially when you factor in my work 15% discount). My question is this. If I go with the unlimited data vs TM's hotspot plan (only 5 or 10GB per month), will I be able to do wireless tethering to my laptop at home with the N4? Since it's unlocked, I'm presuming that TM won't be able to block me, but I think I read somewhere on the forums here that TM will track my browser usage (desktop agent?) to see if I'm tethering, but that there's a way to spoof the agent?

Anyone currently on a TM unlimited plan and tethering with no issues?

And what if I'm simply tethering to run Google Talk or Skype on my computer, or if I tether to connect to my work's VPN? Will TM be able to see that I'm tethering?

Tethering is not supposed to be a home cable replacement. If you are going to use it that way you will likely be turning all the mobile networks into Verizon's stupid plans.

Use it while you can(Without abusing it)if they catch you then do things right imo.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
They detect via browser UAstring afaik. VPN isn't going to help, because at some point you're going to use the data on a browser and they'll detect. People have wildly different experiences, but its something to consider. I had mixed results every month when I was on T-Mobile. Sometimes they'd redirect for 2 months at a time, sometimes I'd not have any issues at all. You have less to worry about because with the Nexus all they would have is something like the UAstring and no special software to detect, but they'll likely catch on eventually.

T-Mobile's unlimited plan isn't meant to be a home internet replacement. If you're planning to use it like this, you'll likely be jumping through more hoops than its worth.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Cool, all good to know. Not going to try and tether as a home internet replacement. Seems like a hassle anyways, but good to know for the occassional use say when home internet is down or I guess if I'm traveling and don't want to pay the hotel fees for WiFi. Thanks, all.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Cool, all good to know. Not going to try and tether as a home internet replacement. Seems like a hassle anyways, but good to know for the occassional use say when home internet is down or I guess if I'm traveling and don't want to pay the hotel fees for WiFi. Thanks, all.

Yeah for casual usage you should have no issues.

socaltyger

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have two lines and am thinking about the unlimited value plan as well. Planning to disconnect my iPad data plan and just use the hotspot when I'm out and about and need the iPad or laptop access.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
What would the user agent be for an Android tablet? Would they be able to tell I'm tethering my Galaxy Note tablet to a Nexus 4 or another Android device? I do web analytics at my work, and although we separate iPad and iPhone users, we don't separate Android users by mobile and tablet (nor Blackberry nor WebOS). I'm wondering if T-Mobile is the same.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
What would the user agent be for an Android tablet? Would they be able to tell I'm tethering my Galaxy Note tablet to a Nexus 4 or another Android device? I do web analytics at my work, and although we separate iPad and iPhone users, we don't separate Android users by mobile and tablet (nor Blackberry nor WebOS). I'm wondering if T-Mobile is the same.

Its all about what your browser reports when you visit pages, not what browser it actually is. On the tablet you're likely to be viewing "desktop" pages, which T-Mobile likes to think are computers that are tethered.

socaltyger

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
But with hi-res screens on phones, I always choose to view "desktop" pages vs its "mobile" version. Now I'm curious how they would distinguish viewing the desktop version of a page from a phone, or a tablet or a laptop if not for the user agent.

Relikk356

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it uses MAC address and not browser reports. I actually found out last weekend because the hotel I stayed at in Dallas charged for Internet ( I guess that customary in that area). It worked fine for the few hours I used it on day one, but the next night it started forwarding me to the t mobile page. Most website wouldn't work but my security feed did. My guess is when it goes to Tmobile DNS table it checks your MAC, then forwards you to the tmobile hot spot page. I read some ware that you can get the desktop version of Firefox to report as mobile device. I'll try it and see if it works. Really though my phone pretty much does everything I need for on the go. I would suggest only using this for emergency purposes. We don't need people taking advantage of the unlimited data.

I can also download dolphin on my phone and have it report as explorer. If i don't get to the hot spot page then we know the MAC address could have something to do with it.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
But with hi-res screens on phones, I always choose to view "desktop" pages vs its "mobile" version. Now I'm curious how they would distinguish viewing the desktop version of a page from a phone, or a tablet or a laptop if not for the user agent.

This is the reason why they've kinda moved away from the Browser UAstring way of doing things. Until they started selling devices with Android 4.0 (start of this year) that could install Chrome for Android, they didn't have to worry about it.

Back when I was on T-Mobile, after they had devices with Android 4.0 I stopped getting redirected. I don't have T-Mo anymore so hard to test now...

john jones two

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but people may still read it. I'm not following the logic about VPN being of no use since it hits a browser at some point and the wireless carrier can see it. If I have a VPN service on my computer it encrypts all my data completely through the wireless carrier's network to the VPN service. Data coming back is encrypted at the VPN service and is unencrypted at my PC. My wireless phone carrier can see that data is going through, that it's encrypted, and how much, but they can't see the data. They can see I'm connected to the VPN service IP, but they can't see any of the other IP addresses or web sites my computer visits (for example, they can't see that my pc went to Windows Update to check for updates). I could also encrypt at the phone instead of the PC by choosing a VPN service that included that option (many do). If you do tether to your phone, a VPN might actually help. A VPN also protects you at hotspots by encrypting your data as it passes through those very insecure airwaves. If you are saving data by frequently using public WiFi, you may want to carefully research VPN providers, or at least be very careful what you do when on public WiFi. There is a also prepaid 3G MiFi option at Wal Mart (Internet on the Go) you might want to check out if you only want to tether on occasion and are nervous about tethering without a tether plan.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Tmo unlimited does not allow tether - they want you to use the 5GB plan.

IF you are trying to cheat - you must use both user agent string mask and TTL reset to 65 (so it degrades to a standard 64 after going thru the phone). No guarantees they still decide to investigate you based on usage.