Help with an unlocked phone not allowing mobile hotspot after years of allowing it.

Ragnar_Lothbrok

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
So I've had an unlocked phone with Verizon for years with a original grandfathered in unlimited data plan. I don't typically use my mobile hotspot but it's a nice tool to have and is the reason why I buy unlocked phones so I don't have Verizon bloat ware telling me how I am allowed to use my phone. My hot spot has always worked untill today, I turn it on and now my phone goes through a verification window the another pop-up that says my plan doesn't support mobile tethering.

Did Verizon sneak some [redacted by Mod] bloat ware into my unlocked phone without me knowing it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You should speak to Verizon first about this. They would be the ones who could tell you if your plan changed.

Reactions: J Dubbs

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
So I've had an unlocked phone with Verizon for years with a original grandfathered in unlimited data plan. I don't typically use my mobile hotspot but it's a nice tool to have and is the reason why I buy unlocked phones so I don't have Verizon bloat ware telling me how I am allowed to use my phone. My hot spot has always worked untill today, I turn it on and now my phone goes through a verification window the another pop-up that says my plan doesn't support mobile tethering.

Did Verizon sneak some [redacted by Mod] bloat ware into my unlocked phone without me knowing it?
To me, this sounds like carrier shenanigans to get you off your grandfathered plan.
Ya, I'm feeling cynical today. Arbitrary 13¢ a litter carbon tax going on gas tomorrow.

Ragnar_Lothbrok

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
My plan did not change, I've never bought the Hotspot. What I'm saying is I have an unlocked phone that didn't come with any Verizon bloat ware to prevent me from accessing my Hotspot. I've done that for years with zero issue.

What I'm asking is, was there some kind of update from Samsung or even Verizon somehow put on my phone that is initiating this check? It's never happened before in the 12 or so years I've been doing this. This isn't a problem someone from Verizon can awnser unfortunately, pretty sure they're just going to recite some standard garbage from the binder they're reading from anyways.

Indeed it sounds like shenanigans! The only thing I figure is I downloaded the My Verizon app to pay my bill a couple months ago, maybe that app installed something? I really hate doing factory restarts if that's the case.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I didn't say your plan changed with your knowledge. I'm saying you should check with your carrier first to see if they decided on their own to "modify" it.
As far as I know, neither Samsung or Google/ Andriod changed this in anyway.

Last edited:

Ragnar_Lothbrok

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
I saw one redit user say Samsung added entitlement checks as part of the UI6 update. If true it sounds like Samsung has overstepped. You guys know anything about that update?

• Wow

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have an unlocked phone on Verizon and I'm not on the grandfathered unlimited plan and my hotspot works just fine.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Same here.

My guess is that Verizon finally caught on and disabled the feature for the OP because his old data plan doesn't include it.
I've been on Verizon for the past 20 years or more. They haven't had an unlimited plan that didn't include hotspot since I've had them. My guess is that the article linked that says it's happening to multiple brands might be true and caused by the update to android 14 as reported.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been on Verizon for the past 20 years or more. They haven't had an unlimited plan that didn't include hotspot since I've had them. My guess is that the article linked that says it's happening to multiple brands might be true and caused by the update to android 14 as reported.
They have unlimited plans that don't include hotspot now. I think it's called start plans or something like that. They also have a truly unlimited plan with no slow down limitation if you go over that 22 GB of use. These plans are probably cheaper then the grandfathered unlimited plans. I don't remember what the grandfathered unlimited plans have over the new true unlimited plans. I imagine hotspot is truly unlimited on the grandfathered unlimited plans. I know the new true unlimited plans the hotspot is 50 GB. For the OP since they don't use hotspot much they might want to check it out, could save them money. I remember I was paying a fortune for my grandfathered unlimited plans. Everyone's mileage varies.

Researching a little on the grandfathered unlimited plans, it appears that Verizon has been terminating those plans starting in 2022.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Reactions: Laura Knotek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter