Cross-platform messaging

lswim80

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I really like the Nexus 4 and will probably be purchasing it when it comes out. In preparation, I was wondering what kind of cross-platform messaging apps you guys use. Currently, I use Google Voice so I can text from my computer, my Nexus 7 and my Moto Triumph seamlessly, however, the lack of multimedia messaging support is annoying me. Also, with Google Voice, the app doesn't always seem to get the push notifications when I receive a text message. I like GV but I am looking for an alternative that will allow me to handle pictures and things of that ilk.

I've seen the Pingme and WhatsApp messenger apps, but everyone else I know has iPhones and refuses to install these apps. Also, I have a Facebook, but I would like to avoid using that to send my messages if possible, especially because I find that many of my friends do not respond as quickly via Facebook Messenger. If you use these kind of apps, how do you convince your friends to install it on their phones?

Last edited:

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Kik Messenger is the best out there. You can send pics and it has read and delivered status like blackberry messenger. Everyone I know with android or iPhone use it. Once I showed them how it showed when a message was delivered or read and that it handled pics it was a done deal.

e4azu7u4.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Enviii

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Don't expect iOS users to download any apps for you. Their invested in iMessage.

Apart from that Kik is probably my favorite option. Then only issue with it is that last time I checked it doesn't allow you to use the same account on multiple devices.

I really wish Android would introduce an iMessage like app for its ecosystem. It would be the perfect thing for Google to do as well since it's one step forward in the master plan to screw over carriers.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

lswim80

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'll have to try out Kik and see if I can get some of my iOS friends to use it!

I also completely agree, texting is one of those things that doesn't really make sense in the era of smartphones. There are so many better ways to handle messaging now. I was kinda hoping Google might come out with a messenger app in 4.2, but oh well, there is still Google Talk, but the client/feature set hasn't really been improved in years.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I just use texting, free texting & mms so I have no need for an app. Calling for me is a whole new story. Google Voice isn't free for where i am :(

gmarkoma

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Why not using the WhatsApp application?

edit: I have iphone and my favorite one is WhatsApp. I don't have many friends with iphones.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been using TextSecure Beta for awhile now on my Sensation 4G (4.0.3 Stock). Its SMS/MMS capable and its security enhanced. If someone else happens to use it on his phone you will also have the extra option of sending one another encrypted messages as well. It will encrypt the message database and, after a time frame of your setting (which can be changed later), it will prompt you for your password.

More info; whispersys.com
github.com/whispersystems/textsecure (its actually Open Source, this is if you want to build your own)
thoughtcrime.org/software.html The programmer's, Moxie Marlinspike, projects.

A question about Kik, though, can it be used as a replacement SMS/MMS messenger? Would my contacts also have to install Kik Messenger?
Thanks.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
A question about Kik, though, can it be used as a replacement SMS/MMS messenger? Would my contacts also have to install Kik Messenger?
Thanks.

You have to setup a username to use Kik. Everyone I know didn't want to set it up but after the 2 min setup it really is great. Especially for those of us that used to love BBM.

Syrential

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Talking about iMessage, that thing has a horrible flaw in it if you forget to disable "Send only as iMessage". I had it several times happen that my message was sent as a normal text, to a foreign number.
Also for some weird reason the iPhone randomly sends a text to a foreign number to verify something or whatever, it does the same with facetime, there's not exactly a plausible reason, but it happens.
KIK is not bad, but KIK you always need to create an account first and stuff, and the user list is a complete mess. Whatsapp has many options to customize it the way you want, also you can actually see if someone is "online" or the last time they have been, it's also much easier.

The KIK story is funny anyways, it seems like it only became successful for all the creeps on instagram to message random girls, who feel save because they don't have to use their phone number that you usually need for whatsapp. :-\

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I really wish Android would introduce an iMessage like app for its ecosystem. It would be the perfect thing for Google to do as well since it's one step forward in the master plan to screw over carriers.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Google Talk has been around a lot longer than iMessage.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Talking about iMessage, that thing has a horrible flaw in it if you forget to disable "Send only as iMessage". I had it several times happen that my message was sent as a normal text, to a foreign number.
Also for some weird reason the iPhone randomly sends a text to a foreign number to verify something or whatever, it does the same with facetime, there's not exactly a plausible reason, but it happens.
KIK is not bad, but KIK you always need to create an account first and stuff, and the user list is a complete mess. Whatsapp has many options to customize it the way you want, also you can actually see if someone is "online" or the last time they have been, it's also much easier.

The KIK story is funny anyways, it seems like it only became successful for all the creeps on instagram to message random girls, who feel save because they don't have to use their phone number that you usually need for whatsapp. :-\

In my 2 years using Kik I've never once been messaged by someone I didn't know. And my user list isn't a mess. I have the 6 people I talk to on it and that's all. Not everyone would like Kik sure, but its worth a try. It is a perfect BBM replacement.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gmarkoma

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Google Talk has been around a lot longer than iMessage.

Yes, but you need gmail while with iMessage not. Also iMessage is integrated. If I try to send an sms from an android to android device, is it going to be sent without charging? This is what iMessage does. So basically they are totally different. No need for separate application and of course I believe that the WhatsApp is much better than gtalk and iMessage more easy to use than everything else, specially for people who do not feel so comfortable with technology. However for cross-platform, whatsapp is really good as also tango but the first one is supported by many mobile operating systems.

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Ive got the iPhone 4S currently and most people I know are either on iPhone or Blackberry, in fact I don't have anyone in my phone with Android, BUT, as much as I like Whatsapp I like being able to tell when a message has been read so I use Kik as well.

Refusing to install Kik/Whatsapp on an iDevice seems silly to me.

I will be installing both when I get the Nexus 4 soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I know people with Android phones that don't even know they have Google Talk installed. I've messaged a friend on there and my sister once and they were both shocked and had no idea how it even popped up on their screens...

I like Google Talk and would make it my primary service, but most people just text anyway.

Can Google+ messenger send pics? Not that your iPhone friends would want to download that either, though....

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I use text+ been using for 3 years or so. My wife and kid and I use the app but anyone with texting, you just give them your # and they can use whatever they want on their end.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I love whatsapp... the ability to send 12mb videos / files is amazing! Trying to send a video over mms is a no go. They are just too big. I understand where you are coming from though. It seems like my iphone friends much like was posted earlier refuse to try anything else but I have been very successful talking my android friends into getting whatsapp.

iboost79#AC

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I really like the Nexus 4 and will probably be purchasing it when it comes out. In preparation, I was wondering what kind of cross-platform messaging apps you guys use. Currently, I use Google Voice so I can text from my computer, my Nexus 7 and my Moto Triumph seamlessly, however, the lack of multimedia messaging support is annoying me. Also, with Google Voice, the app doesn't always seem to get the push notifications when I receive a text message. I like GV but I am looking for an alternative that will allow me to handle pictures and things of that ilk.

I've seen the Pingme and WhatsApp messenger apps, but everyone else I know has iPhones and refuses to install these apps. Also, I have a Facebook, but I would like to avoid using that to send my messages if possible, especially because I find that many of my friends do not respond as quickly via Facebook Messenger. If you use these kind of apps, how do you convince your friends to install it on their phones?

I found that Whatsapp is one of the more reliable messaging apps. No need for user accounts. Finds all users based on phone numbers in your address book. I also use groupme for group texting since it doesn't require other users to download an additional app. They just need to have unlimited messaging or a high number of messaging plan.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member