For those impatient... Don't buy on Ebay!

kruglovus

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes. This seems reasonable. In this case T-mo would not have that choice of 4 options. Only cancel at request and charge ETF.
BTW, it seems wrong that VZW charged your girlfriend activation fee, if there was no activation performed.

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay. So, I noticed that the HTC One S is free on contract with T-Mobile, currently. There is also a waived activation fee promotion going on.
I can pay absolutely nothing for this phone, but I'm not allowed to pay the ETF until after my first billing period, and by then I would have already payed for 1 month of service.
After paying for that month of service, I will be allowed to pay an ETF to cancel service.
So, I'm getting an HTC One S for $280 ($80 for first month of service, $200 ETF).
Then I can reactivate on a monthly4G prepaid plan and pay $30 a month for 100 minutes, and unlimited texting and data.
This is coming from lots of consultation with multiple T-Mobile representatives.
The same would apply to the Nexus 4.

Ice Phrozen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay. So, I noticed that the HTC One S is free on contract with T-Mobile, currently. There is also a waived activation fee promotion going on.
I can pay absolutely nothing for this phone, but I'm not allowed to pay the ETF until after my first billing period, and by then I would have already payed for 1 month of service.
After paying for that month of service, I will be allowed to pay an ETF to cancel service.
So, I'm getting an HTC One S for $280 ($80 for first month of service, $200 ETF).
Then I can reactivate on a monthly4G prepaid plan and pay $30 a month for 100 minutes, and unlimited texting and data.
This is coming from lots of consultation with multiple T-Mobile representatives.

You're not the first person to bring up the idea of trying to get a cheap phone from TMo. Always read the fine print brah...

4. * Cancellation and Returns. Service Cancellation: You can cancel a new line of Service without paying an Early Termination Fee if you cancel WITHIN 14 DAYS of activating a new line of Service (30 days in California; other states may differ - ask your sales representative) ("Cancellation Period"). You remain responsible for all Charges incurred through the date of cancellation. To cancel Service during the Cancellation Period, you may be required to go to the place where you activated Service and return any T-Mobile Device you acquired at the time of activation. You must return your T-Mobile Device in its package with all original contents, undamaged and in good working condition with no material alterations to the Device's hardware or software. If you do not return your T-Mobile Device or if you return your T-Mobile Device in a damaged, altered or destroyed condition, we may take one or more of the following actions: (a) prevent your T-Mobile Device from working on any network; (b) charge you the Early Termination Fee; (c) elect not to process your Service cancellation; or (d) charge you the suggested retail price or the cost to repair a T-Mobile Device, (which may be greater than the price you paid), plus any shipping and handling charges. Device Refunds and Restocking Fees: For T-Mobile Device and accessory returns and exchanges, see the applicable return policy, which is available at your place of purchase. Some T-Mobile Devices and accessories may not be refunded or exchanged, and you may be required to pay a restocking fee.

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
You're not the first person to bring up the idea of trying to get a cheap phone from TMo. Always read the fine print brah...

4. * Cancellation and Returns. Service Cancellation: You can cancel a new line of Service without paying an Early Termination Fee if you cancel WITHIN 14 DAYS of activating a new line of Service (30 days in California; other states may differ - ask your sales representative) ("Cancellation Period"). You remain responsible for all Charges incurred through the date of cancellation. To cancel Service during the Cancellation Period, you may be required to go to the place where you activated Service and return any T-Mobile Device you acquired at the time of activation. You must return your T-Mobile Device in its package with all original contents, undamaged and in good working condition with no material alterations to the Device's hardware or software. If you do not return your T-Mobile Device or if you return your T-Mobile Device in a damaged, altered or destroyed condition, we may take one or more of the following actions: (a) prevent your T-Mobile Device from working on any network; (b) charge you the Early Termination Fee; (c) elect not to process your Service cancellation; or (d) charge you the suggested retail price or the cost to repair a T-Mobile Device, (which may be greater than the price you paid), plus any shipping and handling charges. Device Refunds and Restocking Fees: For T-Mobile Device and accessory returns and exchanges, see the applicable return policy, which is available at your place of purchase. Some T-Mobile Devices and accessories may not be refunded or exchanged, and you may be required to pay a restocking fee.

Right. I don't want to return the phone, so I'd have to cancel after 30 days.

Ice Phrozen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Right. I don't want to return the phone, so I'd have to cancel after 30 days.

I'm confused. You want to get a subsidized phone by signing up with Tmo (aka contract). You get the phone and you intend on canceling the service after 30 days? You still incur an ETF. And the terms & conditions of getting service with TMo still apply. There's quite a few "may" words in it. The point being, if you cancel service (a contract) early, you incur an ETF. On top of that, they MAY tell you to return your device. If you don't then they MAY do one or more of the the things they listed.

Just giving you an FYI so you aren't surprised if they suddenly tell you to return the phone.

T-Mobile Terms and Conditions

LVTony

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yep.

Store rep told me they're phasing out subsidized phone, just offering cheaper plans and selling phones at full price. Good luck with that, T-Mobile.

The N4 is indeed what Phil said it was - classy, primo feeling, with clear, sharp display. A fellow was installing Speedtest.net, hoping to see how fast it was, but the store had some bogus "micro-site" that gave me a whopping 29 asu, and stone age speed. WTF, T-Mobile?

Isn't that the MetroPCS business model? Didn't they just buy them?

mohamadali

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So...I did this about 2 days after the play store launch at a local t-mobile. I bought the phone on contract and on my drive home called customer service and asked to cancel the contract before the 14 days but wanted to keep the phone. I just quickly told the csr that I wanted to pay the etf and she gladly cancelled my service. The csr said that I would be pro rated and billed for the 1 day of service that I had. Unfortunately, I got a bum phone where the power button didn't work correctly and I returned the device (which meant reactivating contract) and getting a full refund. I just have to pay for the 3 days of service that I had the phone for which won't be more than a few dollars. So yeah, you can do it this way, but you ultimately loose support from t-mobile until after 14 day buyer remorse period and the Play Store can not help you with your device (they will direct you to t-mobile).

Edit... just called in to see what my balance was...apparently it is $0, so that is good. I am just going to wait for the play store to restock and save the $50 for accessories.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... I can pay absolutely nothing for this phone, but I'm not allowed to pay the ETF until after my first billing period, and by then I would have already payed for 1 month of service.

A store sales rep told me in no uncertain terms that there'd be a cool off period after early termination during which you cant subscribe again. YMMV :rolleyes:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87